Notices
Tech Talk Anything technically related to your vehicle should be posted here. If you're looking to have work done, try one of the Regional Forums.

s13 battery relocation problem, power staying on

Old 12-02-2008, 05:35 PM
-JB-
Fitty Tuckin

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
-JB- -JB- -JB- -JB- -JB- -JB- -JB- -JB- -JB- -JB- -JB-
Default s13 battery relocation problem, power staying on

I have a 93 s13 se. I just finished relocating the battery due to my sr20 swap and boost pipes being in the way.

I followed this write up
http://www.nicoclub.com/articles.php?id=212386

I turn the key to accessory and my power windows go down, my lights work, my ebrake and seatbelt indicator lights come on. Seems like it's working right. Well I turn the key off and pull the key out and the power is still on. I can do all the above while the key is out of the ignition. I mean it's cool and all to power my windows up and down but I know this isn't right.

So to cancel out problems, I disconnect my SR harness from the chassis harness. I disconnect the SR harness to the dash harness, so basically the SR harness is not hooked up anywhere to the other chassis harnesses. Power to the windows and lights is still there. At the stock battery location the power cable has two plugs connected to it. I disconnect these plugs and the power to the windows and lights goes off. Refer to the last pic in the link. THats the two plugs I am talking about.

What is causing my power to stay on after I take the key out?
Old 12-02-2008, 05:46 PM
Fabrik8
Racetracks

Fabrik8 Fabrik8 Fabrik8 Fabrik8 Fabrik8 Fabrik8 Fabrik8 Fabrik8 Fabrik8 Fabrik8 Fabrik8
Default Re: s13 battery relocation problem, power staying on

You've got something wrong obviously, but it's completely unrelated to the battery install. All you're doing with the battery relocation is just lengthening the stock cables from the stock attachment points, so it is exactly the same as having the battery under the hood in the engine bay. Look elsewhere for the source of your problems...

Actually, I guess I should qualify that.. If you did the battery relocation correctly, that won't be the problem. This assumes that you haven't removed something (like a ground, etc) that is needed for proper operation, and have attached the power cable to the correct location, etc.

Last edited by Fabrik8; 12-02-2008 at 05:52 PM.
Old 12-02-2008, 05:59 PM
-JB-
Fitty Tuckin

Originally Posted by Fabrik8
You've got something wrong obviously, but it's completely unrelated to the battery install. All you're doing with the battery relocation is just lengthening the stock cables from the stock attachment points, so it is exactly the same as having the battery under the hood in the engine bay. Look elsewhere for the source of your problems...

Actually, I guess I should qualify that.. If you did the battery relocation correctly, that won't be the problem. This assumes that you haven't removed something (like a ground, etc) that is needed for proper operation, and have attached the power cable to the correct location, etc.
I took the negative cable out and used in in the trunk to hook up the battery. Does a negative cable need to stay in the stock battery relocation? If so where does it hook up again?
Old 12-02-2008, 06:08 PM
Fabrik8
Racetracks

Fabrik8 Fabrik8 Fabrik8 Fabrik8 Fabrik8 Fabrik8 Fabrik8 Fabrik8 Fabrik8 Fabrik8 Fabrik8

Depends on the car, some cars have other things connected to ground or have the engine/chassis ground connected to the same cable as the negative battery cable. Most electrical systems are pretty much identical and have all of the same things connected together but can have big variations in where everything is hooked together. So you might have inadvertently removed a ground connection that the electrical system needs.

You can connect a ground from wherever the ground cable was connected to directly to the chassis (or engine, depending on how the stock system was hooked up) and that should solve the problem. Extra grounds are never an issue, unless you start putting grounds in strange spots which can sometimes introduce high frequency noise.

Really though, you should have seen something extra other than just the negative battery cable if that is the problem, like a smaller cable attached to the battery ground, etc. It's hard to explain.

Last edited by Fabrik8; 12-02-2008 at 06:10 PM.
Old 12-02-2008, 06:11 PM
Spindrift
psycho jungle cat

Spindrift Spindrift Spindrift Spindrift Spindrift Spindrift Spindrift Spindrift Spindrift Spindrift Spindrift

my ground in my 240 was in the trunk at a random spot, so I doubt that's your issue.
Old 12-02-2008, 06:13 PM
Fabrik8
Racetracks

No, it has nothing to do with the ground in the trunk. That's just a ground from the battery to the chassis, so it doesn't matter where on the chassis it goes to.

It's more likely an issue of what was removed under the hood. I'm guessing there isn't a ground connection between the chassis and part of the electrical system at the moment. Some stuff is already grounded to the chassis so it will work regardless, but other stuff is probably missing its local ground.

Last edited by Fabrik8; 12-02-2008 at 06:18 PM.
Old 12-02-2008, 08:10 PM
droptoprx7
IM BACK BITCH"S

droptoprx7 is a name known to alldroptoprx7 is a name known to alldroptoprx7 is a name known to alldroptoprx7 is a name known to alldroptoprx7 is a name known to alldroptoprx7 is a name known to all

mines grounded on the trunk 2. somewhere in your system a wire is touching where it shouldnt or something to that sort just carefully go over everything you changed and see if its something obvious
Old 12-02-2008, 08:40 PM
Fabrik8
Racetracks

Anyone else like to miss the point of what I'm saying?
Old 12-03-2008, 05:28 AM
-JB-
Fitty Tuckin

Yeah I got your point. I have another ground wire I am going to put back in place in the stock location. Removing this I figured would not cause a problem.

Also I have a turbo timer installed and I will completely remove this out of the equation as well to see if that is the problem. I turn the timer off when I go to turn the key off so it doesn't kick in but that doesn't help.
Old 12-03-2008, 12:10 PM
droptoprx7
IM BACK BITCH"S

droptoprx7 is a name known to alldroptoprx7 is a name known to alldroptoprx7 is a name known to alldroptoprx7 is a name known to alldroptoprx7 is a name known to alldroptoprx7 is a name known to all

Originally Posted by Fabrik8
Anyone else like to miss the point of what I'm saying?
lol i got what you were saying i just felt like adding on

Quick Reply: s13 battery relocation problem, power staying on