Notices
Tech Talk Anything technically related to your vehicle should be posted here. If you're looking to have work done, try one of the Regional Forums.

exhaust build question

Old 12-19-2008, 04:58 PM
05chevyyy
Registered Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
05chevyyy is an unknown quantity at this point
Default exhaust build question

I just rebuilt the 305 in my caprice and through some shorties on it befor I dropped it in the car. Obviously the factory y-pipe wont bolt up so Im gonna have to build from scratch from the headers back. I have never built a full exhaust system, just done some odds and ends. Im trying to figure out what degree elbow to make coming from the collector on the headers so the end of the elbow will sit level (like where the collector would sit if they were longtubes) and I have a place to start building the remainder of the system. Anybody have any idea? Thanks
Old 12-22-2008, 09:57 AM
mysteryguest
Registered Member

mysteryguest is on a distinguished road
Default Re: exhaust build question

Assuming you have a MIG, order some of these mandrel u-bends from Jegs,- http://www.jegs.com/p/Hooker/744799/10002/-1 . Once you get the tubing, you can use something like a piece of wire to make a mock up piece with, so you know what kind of angle you need. Or you can hold the u-bend up there, mark it with a marker where the bend needs to be cut in order to dump the exhaust where you want it. From there, cut it, tack it, hold it/bolt it in place. Eyeball and measure it and make sure it looks the way you want, then work your way towards the back of the car. Weld it up once you get it the way you want it.

It takes a little bit of time, but you end up with a nice exhaust in the end.
Old 12-22-2008, 03:37 PM
weldmatic
Registered Member

weldmatic has disabled reputation
Default Re: exhaust build question

or you can go to napa and buy mandrel bends all day long.... shhhhhh dont tell anyone they have 45s and 90's.

or.... take it to muffler king in newport news and for a few hundred bux your headache is no longer.