Notices
Tech Talk Anything technically related to your vehicle should be posted here. If you're looking to have work done, try one of the Regional Forums.

oil pump tech help, 0psi/chahonda?

Old 10-08-2003, 04:45 PM
sk8rmike
Bitches get Stitches

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
sk8rmike sk8rmike sk8rmike sk8rmike sk8rmike sk8rmike sk8rmike sk8rmike sk8rmike sk8rmike sk8rmike
Default oil pump tech help, 0psi/chahonda?

ok, so like 40-50 miles after turbo'ing my del sol i lost all oil pressure. the turbo stopped getting oil, no oil came up through the oil passages to the head, etc....so i assumed oil pump failure. i just replaced the pump and am in the process of putting the car back together but it's dark so i had to stop. i pulled the cover off of the back of the old pump and check the gears inside and everything looked fine. no sign of excessive wear or anything i would call out of the ordinary. my question is, do any of you guys know what i should be looking for inside the pump that would give me signs of failure? also, if i find out it is not my pump, what else could it possibly be? motor is a d16z6 w/ 105k on it.
Old 10-09-2003, 04:33 AM
S dot Camp
Asshole Supreme

S dot Camp has much to be proud ofS dot Camp has much to be proud ofS dot Camp has much to be proud ofS dot Camp has much to be proud ofS dot Camp has much to be proud ofS dot Camp has much to be proud ofS dot Camp has much to be proud ofS dot Camp has much to be proud ofS dot Camp has much to be proud ofS dot Camp has much to be proud ofS dot Camp has much to be proud of

Any oil leaks? That would drop the pressure. Did you lose all oil pressure? I say try the pump like you are doing and if that doesn't work, come back and ask again. I will lookinto it a little more and see what I can dig up if the pump doesn't fix the problem.
Old 10-09-2003, 05:19 AM
sk8rmike
Bitches get Stitches

sk8rmike sk8rmike sk8rmike sk8rmike sk8rmike sk8rmike sk8rmike sk8rmike sk8rmike sk8rmike sk8rmike

ok, thanks man. yeah....it wasnt a drop in pressure, there was NO pressure. a couple people had told me to check my oil lines to/from the turbo...but i dont see how that would stop oil from coming up into the head. i ran the car for a second w/ the valve cover off and the oil just sat in the passages, no movement at all...i checked the spring in the pump for distortion and it looked good. the plunger also didnt looked scored. however, i havent measured for clearances on the gears themselves because i dont have feelers guages, so i may have to do that next.
Old 10-09-2003, 05:25 AM
nickyroo
~

nickyroo has disabled reputation

is your motor still together? what did the oil look like when you drained it? if you lost all oil pressure and ran it dry, make sure and prime the oil pump before turning the car back on to avoid a dry startup. did you check your oil level before leaving? afterwards? any change?
Old 10-09-2003, 05:48 AM
sk8rmike
Bitches get Stitches

there wasnt really any change no. i burned a little oil directly after starting my car and for like 20-25 miles afterwards, but im pretty sure that was the turbo seals leaking while they were getting worn in. i mean, i had enough oil in it, and i was running full synthetic mobil 1, but if it wasnt the old pump thats gone bad i dont know what else it could be. i'll find out if it was the pump in a little bit when i put the motor back together.
Old 10-09-2003, 06:09 AM
CHAHONDA
corona connessuer

CHAHONDA CHAHONDA CHAHONDA CHAHONDA CHAHONDA CHAHONDA CHAHONDA CHAHONDA CHAHONDA CHAHONDA CHAHONDA

well....excessive bearing clearances will tend to cause low oil pressure. i would check all of your oil lines to the turbo. did your oil light come on or did you just assume that you have low pressure?

did it just start to do this after the turbo install??
Old 10-09-2003, 07:20 AM
sk8rmike
Bitches get Stitches

yeah it started to do this after the install

i have a low oil pressure light in my cluster that runs off the sensor and it was coming on and off. at first it only came on right when i would start the car up while the feed line was filling with oil, and then from there it took longer and logner for the light to shut off after starting the car.
Old 10-09-2003, 08:25 AM
Hart-n-Sol
To the future...

Hart-n-Sol Hart-n-Sol Hart-n-Sol Hart-n-Sol Hart-n-Sol Hart-n-Sol Hart-n-Sol Hart-n-Sol Hart-n-Sol Hart-n-Sol Hart-n-Sol

could a clogged oil filter be the cause? i think the one on there is new but all the oil has to run through that thing first right.

i'm off friday mike so ill probably come over and see if i can help u finish it all up. thanks again everyone for your help.
Old 10-09-2003, 10:13 AM
sk8rmike
Bitches get Stitches

yeah i dunno if the filter could be clogged that fast. i changed the oil and filter when i put the turbo kit on, since i had to drop my pan anways. i should get everything together tonight so hopefully it'll be running before tomorrow. we'll see...
Old 10-11-2003, 06:03 PM
Boosted2003
Banned

Boosted2003 is an unknown quantity at this point

well next time u buy a oil filter make sure u buy a bypass fitler incase it gets colged it dont stop runs oil threw the system

Quick Reply: oil pump tech help, 0psi/chahonda?