Notices
757 The 757 forum. Introductions and regional topics go here.

Anyone here work on computers?

Old 04-11-2009, 09:35 AM
Thurm@n
Still spinnin'

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Thurm@n Thurm@n Thurm@n Thurm@n Thurm@n Thurm@n Thurm@n Thurm@n Thurm@n Thurm@n Thurm@n
Default Anyone here work on computers?

Ok so about 2 months ago i accidentaly knocked over a bowl of cereal onto my laptop, everything did work fine, except the disk drive(couldn't burn or read disk) so i sent it to HP b/c it is under warranty for repairs. long story short they dont fix it for free if the damaged was caused by a liquid spill.

Now here is were im pissed off and puzzled about, I sent it to them with the only thing wrong with it when I sent it in was the disk drive, I got it back last week and the monitor and keyboard doesnt work. It powers up fine just the monitor and keyboard dont work.

Idk shit about computers im thinkin maybe they didn't connect somethin back right or w/e. but if you can help me out please let me know. I have no problem compensating for someone just gettin my monitor and keyboard back working.

If you can help me out hit me up, 757-635-2075. Ill bring it to you.

- Thurman
Old 04-11-2009, 10:40 AM
blackout
master debater

blackout blackout blackout blackout blackout blackout blackout blackout blackout blackout blackout
Default Re: Anyone here work on computers?

any kind of liquid being spilled on an electrical device can cause a pretty much infinite possibility of wrong shit going down with said device.

let me get this straight... so you sent it to hp for warranty, they denied the warranty but still fixed it because you paid them, right? and now you get it back and it's got other shit wrong with it than what you sent it to them to fix?

if this is the case, send that shit right back. if they denied the warranty that's one thing, but if they charged you to fix your computer and it's still fucked up, they should, and likely will, take care of it.

if hp didn't do any actual work to it, then you're pretty much just fucked. same shit happened with my wife's computer, our kid spilled coffee all over it, and now it won't recognize an internal hard drive... she is actually booting up off a second computer that contains her hard drive and processing everything via firewire on her computer. ghetto as shit but it actually works for the time being... but the point is, is that liquid allows electrical current to go every which way it does because it's a conductor. you can see how the intricately designed circuits in a computer can get all kinds of fucked up by that, and there's really no way to guarantee a permanent fix short of replacement. just like a water damaged car, the shit is just never right again.

Last edited by blackout; 04-11-2009 at 10:43 AM.
Old 04-11-2009, 10:52 AM
Thurm@n
Still spinnin'

Thurm@n Thurm@n Thurm@n Thurm@n Thurm@n Thurm@n Thurm@n Thurm@n Thurm@n Thurm@n Thurm@n

Originally Posted by blackout
any kind of liquid being spilled on an electrical device can cause a pretty much infinite possibility of wrong shit going down with said device.

let me get this straight... so you sent it to hp for warranty, they denied the warranty but still fixed it because you paid them, right? and now you get it back and it's got other shit wrong with it than what you sent it to them to fix?

if this is the case, send that shit right back. if they denied the warranty that's one thing, but if they charged you to fix your computer and it's still fucked up, they should, and likely will, take care of it.

if hp didn't do any actual work to it, then you're pretty much just fucked. same shit happened with my wife's computer, our kid spilled coffee all over it, and now it won't recognize an internal hard drive... she is actually booting up off a second computer that contains her hard drive and processing everything via firewire on her computer. ghetto as shit but it actually works for the time being... but the point is, is that liquid allows electrical current to go every which way it does because it's a conductor. you can see how the intricately designed circuits in a computer can get all kinds of fucked up by that, and there's really no way to guarantee a permanent fix short of replacement. just like a water damaged car, the shit is just never right again.
No, I sent it in to get fixed under warranty(FOR FREE) but they said the warranty was voided b/c the damaged was caused by a liquid spill, it would cost $1000 to fix it so I said no thanks just send it back.

I used it for a month and a half before I sent it in b/c everything worked fine on it except the cd drive i just decided to get the cd drive fixed b/c the warranty was about to be up on it.

Cliffs;

1. Spilled cereal on laptop
2. Used laptop for a month and a half after spill and it worked perfectly fine except the disk drive.
3. Sent it to HP to get disk drive fixed, they denied repair b/c damage was caused by liquid spill.
4. Got laptop back with a non-functionaly monitor and keyboard.
Old 04-11-2009, 10:58 AM
Reloaded
nortaP

Reloaded Reloaded Reloaded Reloaded Reloaded Reloaded Reloaded Reloaded Reloaded Reloaded Reloaded

Inside the laptop there is a ribbon that connects the keyboard the main board as well as a ribbon that connects the monitor to the main board. They can be a bitch to get back in place and it’s possible to install it backwards. It sounds like who ever serviced your machine did a really half-assed job.

You need a set of small torx and screw drivers to take it apart. I got some Stanley at Sears for around $10 and a few Craftsmen Torx for a few bucks more

I replaced the DVD in my old HP, not because I spilled something, but because it was just a piece of shit. It was a real pain in the ass to get that ribbon plugged back in.
Old 04-11-2009, 11:02 AM
Thurm@n
Still spinnin'

Originally Posted by Reloaded
Inside the laptop there is a ribbon that connects the keyboard the main board as well as a ribbon that connects the monitor to the main board. They can be a bitch to get back in place and it’s possible to install it backwards. It sounds like who ever serviced your machine did a really half-assed job.

You need a set of small torx and screw drivers to take it apart. I got some Stanley at Sears for around $10 and a few Craftsmen Torx for a few bucks more

I replaced the DVD in my old HP, not because I spilled something, but because it was just a piece of shit. It was a real pain in the ass to get that ribbon plugged back in.
Man im really computer illterate and im scared to even attempt to do that in fear of fuckin it up worse, if someone with EXPERIENCE can do that for me please let me know by text because im at my uncles right now using his computer.

757-635-2075 - thurman
Old 04-13-2009, 04:37 PM
Thurm@n
Still spinnin'

still need help
Old 04-13-2009, 06:07 PM
jermzkill
Registered Member

jermzkill jermzkill jermzkill jermzkill jermzkill jermzkill jermzkill jermzkill jermzkill jermzkill jermzkill

dam shouldn'tve admitted you spilled something on it... this is hindsight though. Search google on how to open up your laptop and just check the connectors.
Old 04-14-2009, 03:31 AM
Myrkur
Registered Member

Myrkur has much to be proud ofMyrkur has much to be proud ofMyrkur has much to be proud ofMyrkur has much to be proud ofMyrkur has much to be proud ofMyrkur has much to be proud ofMyrkur has much to be proud ofMyrkur has much to be proud ofMyrkur has much to be proud ofMyrkur has much to be proud ofMyrkur has much to be proud of

You are better off just going and buying a new $500 laptop. If you don't use it much and only use it for email/internet then buy a $250 Netbook.

That computer will always have problems with it. If you really need a computer go buy a new one. If you don't absolutely need one then open that bitch up and start plugging stuff into the only places it will fit. You are not going to mess it up any more than it already is IMO.
Old 04-14-2009, 05:09 AM
marlinspike
ATGATT

marlinspike marlinspike marlinspike marlinspike marlinspike marlinspike marlinspike marlinspike marlinspike marlinspike marlinspike

I can look at it, BUT the last time I messed around with an HP laptop they were a real PITA. There's a lot of glue involved. The glue is supposed to give under pressure, but sometimes the plastic gives. As long as you're willing to bring it to me in Williamsburg, I can look at it but I can't guarantee something won't break or that I'll be able to fix it. Now, if you had a Thinkpad I could make those guarantees...

But, honestly, you don't need to know anything about computers. If you have the small screwdrivers and torx screwdrivers you need take out all the screws and start looking around. Get yourself some electrical contact cleaner from radio shack and blast out everything, see what happens.