Notices
Tech Talk Anything technically related to your vehicle should be posted here. If you're looking to have work done, try one of the Regional Forums.

350z oem or aftermarket clutch?

Old 06-10-2009, 03:36 PM
blueRSTI
Forty-Two

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
blueRSTI has disabled reputation
Default 350z oem or aftermarket clutch?

Hey all,

I just got a really good deal on a white 350z and the only thing wrong with it is the clutch needs to be replaced within the month. I did some research and I found are that way too many people had issues with the stock clutch when the 350s first came out (started to slip as early as 5k miles). Was this some type of recall issue or are nissan clutches complete junk? I checked out the aftermarkets and since this'll be my daily clutches like JWT and Tilton are definitely unnecessary (and waaay overpriced).
So my question is would a stock clutch crap out on me too early, would a nismo kit be more reliable and/or increase performance at all, is ACT a better option then nismo (and is it easy to drive on the street), or are all 3 ideas garbage and (insert recommendation here) the best option.

Thanks

I'll be posting up some pictures when I get a chance to take some good ones but heres a little preview
Old 06-10-2009, 04:02 PM
clarkeg2002
Registered Member

clarkeg2002 has disabled reputation
Default Re: 350z oem or aftermarket clutch?

id say its all in preference really i mean.. are you going daily it what are the plans you have for it gotta put all that in perspective (SP) u just gotta know what u wanna do thats all if it was me while i was in there and had it all pulled apart id do the aftermarket clutch just my o2
Old 06-10-2009, 05:46 PM
Fabrik8
Racetracks

Fabrik8 Fabrik8 Fabrik8 Fabrik8 Fabrik8 Fabrik8 Fabrik8 Fabrik8 Fabrik8 Fabrik8 Fabrik8

People who have problems with OEM clutches on a stock-ish engine are usually beating the shit out of them. If that means you, get an aftermarket clutch.

I can't speak for the JWT stuff, but Tilton isn't overpriced. It's just more than you want to pay for.
Old 06-11-2009, 11:03 AM
drifterJERRY
Lost Cat Magnet

drifterJERRY is an unknown quantity at this point

exedy clutch. do it.
Old 06-11-2009, 11:37 AM
rflynn1
Registered Member

rflynn1 rflynn1 rflynn1 rflynn1 rflynn1 rflynn1 rflynn1 rflynn1 rflynn1 rflynn1 rflynn1

I drove a 350z with an ACT, and thought it was pretty good. The car also had a stainless steel clutch line which still felt comfortable to shift, but you could tell there was a difference. The ACT wasn't overly expensive either. Just be honest with yourself and think about how you are going to drive it.
Old 06-11-2009, 12:56 PM
NoTorque
Red is the new green

NoTorque is infamous around these partsNoTorque is infamous around these partsNoTorque is infamous around these partsNoTorque is infamous around these partsNoTorque is infamous around these partsNoTorque is infamous around these partsNoTorque is infamous around these partsNoTorque is infamous around these partsNoTorque is infamous around these partsNoTorque is infamous around these partsNoTorque is infamous around these parts

yeah, i second the exedy clutch, i got a 1.5 for less than oem, and the pedal feel actually is softer/easier to push than my oem was but it grabs more.
Old 06-11-2009, 03:35 PM
new_skul
Registered Member

new_skul has a reputation beyond reputenew_skul has a reputation beyond reputenew_skul has a reputation beyond reputenew_skul has a reputation beyond reputenew_skul has a reputation beyond reputenew_skul has a reputation beyond reputenew_skul has a reputation beyond reputenew_skul has a reputation beyond reputenew_skul has a reputation beyond reputenew_skul has a reputation beyond reputenew_skul has a reputation beyond repute

buddy of mine got an ACT clutch with a single-mass lightened Fidanza flywheel. it definitely feels better, but it chatters like a bitch on crystal meth.
Old 06-14-2009, 11:42 AM
Al_P
Registered Member

Al_P has disabled reputation

Originally Posted by new_skul
single-mass lightened Fidanza flywheel.

What he said. Get rid of that 35 pound dual mass flywheel it will totally change how car feels. It was night and day in my z. And go with Spec full face clutch they are best thing around.
Old 06-15-2009, 07:18 AM
NX2KDET
Needs a fast car now

NX2KDET NX2KDET NX2KDET NX2KDET NX2KDET NX2KDET NX2KDET NX2KDET NX2KDET NX2KDET NX2KDET

I have a twin disc carbon/carbon clutch with lightweight flywheel, alot of the older 350z's the clutch fluid would boil easy and the engagement would be thrown off like crazy. I bought an agency power SS clutch line and put Motul fluid in just to be on the safe side.
Old 06-15-2009, 03:23 PM
zx2uner
Your a towel!!!

zx2uner has a reputation beyond reputezx2uner has a reputation beyond reputezx2uner has a reputation beyond reputezx2uner has a reputation beyond reputezx2uner has a reputation beyond reputezx2uner has a reputation beyond reputezx2uner has a reputation beyond reputezx2uner has a reputation beyond reputezx2uner has a reputation beyond reputezx2uner has a reputation beyond reputezx2uner has a reputation beyond repute

i never had any issues with my clutch till i boosted the car, and thats just cuz of the extra power. i put in a Clutch Masters 6 puck, bad idea if your driving it on the steet everyday. if i were you i would get either the ACT or Nismo just depends on how much you want to spend, and for sure get and solid disk, not a pucked one. they grab great but the chatter got annoying in traffic.