Notices
Tech Talk Anything technically related to your vehicle should be posted here. If you're looking to have work done, try one of the Regional Forums.

Turbo Exhaust

Old 06-17-2009, 07:24 PM
Cyanide Jello
Zerofucksgiven

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Cyanide Jello Cyanide Jello Cyanide Jello Cyanide Jello Cyanide Jello Cyanide Jello Cyanide Jello Cyanide Jello Cyanide Jello Cyanide Jello Cyanide Jello
Default Turbo Exhaust

Specs: 98 EK Hatch, d16z6, unknown size turbo runnin 7lbs...

I have 3" pipe runnin from the turbo all the way back to behind the passenger door and it just dumps out... It doesn't sound too great and its stupid loud... I've gone to a couple of exhaust shops and they told me I couldn't get 3" over the suspension for as low as my car is... So the two shops I've went to said I could run 2 1/2" from where the exhaust is cut off, over the suspension and back into a muffler... Would this screw up my flow and back pressure for my turbo?
Old 06-17-2009, 09:12 PM
Rueben
hungry

Rueben Rueben Rueben Rueben Rueben Rueben Rueben Rueben Rueben Rueben Rueben
Default Re: Turbo Exhaust

I think you would be fine with a 2.5 pipe, I mean your not running crazy boost.
Old 06-18-2009, 04:44 AM
thermal
TurboPipingSystems

thermal thermal thermal thermal thermal thermal thermal thermal thermal thermal thermal

I've done plenty of 3 inch pipe over the rear suspension... with even slammed cars. It is doable.... but for noise, try putting a couple of resonators on the long stretch. I should bring the noise down significantly. Also, pick the right muffler....
Old 06-18-2009, 11:33 AM
BentValve
Sorry. Not really.

BentValve BentValve BentValve BentValve BentValve BentValve BentValve BentValve BentValve BentValve BentValve

IMO, 3" might even be overkill for a single cam running 7lbs. You should be fine with 2.5.
Old 06-18-2009, 11:56 AM
Fabrik8
Racetracks

Fabrik8 Fabrik8 Fabrik8 Fabrik8 Fabrik8 Fabrik8 Fabrik8 Fabrik8 Fabrik8 Fabrik8 Fabrik8

It's not the boost, it's the exhaust flow, and you aren't putting out that much on a single cam Z6 setup with 7psi most likely. 2.5" should be perfectly adequate.
Old 06-18-2009, 12:35 PM
SortaFlush
Slammedxpert

SortaFlush SortaFlush SortaFlush SortaFlush SortaFlush SortaFlush SortaFlush SortaFlush SortaFlush SortaFlush SortaFlush

I've got a 3inch custom mandrel bent exhaust with a 3in 3out thermal turbo muffler. Sounds great and exits the proper way. Not loud at all. Nice and soft.

PM me if your interested...$220 and its yours.

That's a video of it, it was open dumptube...thats where most of the noise was coming from. It was on my built turbo GSR with a 70 trim.
Old 06-18-2009, 02:16 PM
Cyanide Jello
Zerofucksgiven

Cyanide Jello Cyanide Jello Cyanide Jello Cyanide Jello Cyanide Jello Cyanide Jello Cyanide Jello Cyanide Jello Cyanide Jello Cyanide Jello Cyanide Jello

Yea, I've been told by several people 3" is overkill... For right now I'm probably just gonna downsize from the 3" to 2.5" and throw a muffler on it... Theres other more important things to fix at the moment... I need 2 tires... 195/55/15 if anyone has any...
Old 06-19-2009, 03:59 AM
SortaFlush
Slammedxpert

SortaFlush SortaFlush SortaFlush SortaFlush SortaFlush SortaFlush SortaFlush SortaFlush SortaFlush SortaFlush SortaFlush

Originally Posted by Cyanide Jello
Yea, I've been told by several people 3" is overkill... For right now I'm probably just gonna downsize from the 3" to 2.5" and throw a muffler on it... Theres other more important things to fix at the moment... I need 2 tires... 195/55/15 if anyone has any...
Didn't see it was single cam, sorry.

Where are you located? I get good deals on tires.
Old 06-19-2009, 05:44 AM
kyle h.
fraggle rock

kyle h. will become famous soon enough

If you plan to keep the car and run more boost (better tune) I'd go the whole way with 3", find a different shop that thinks they can do it.

I've been running a z6 on 2.5" for a few years now, already wish I would have gone with 3", but I'm running 13psi on a .60/.48 and want to go bigger.

If the car is a daily I'd go the 2.5 route w/ muffler, and a resonator on the long stretch of 3".