Notices
Tech Talk Anything technically related to your vehicle should be posted here. If you're looking to have work done, try one of the Regional Forums.

Fuel gauge always reads full

Old 06-18-2009, 11:12 AM
disisaghettosn
Registered Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
disisaghettosn is on a distinguished road
Default Fuel gauge always reads full

Name: Alex
Make: 93' Civic Hatch

Hey guys sorry for this but it's another "i unplugged it and plugged it back in, now it doesnt work" situation. (Fabrik8 I apologize in advance)

The other day I removed my cluster (OE with tach.) to replace a bulb that was burnt out. After putting it all back together I turned it on and the fuel gauge slowly started to increase to full. I pulled the cluster again to check the connections (could not see a problem) put it back together and it did the same thing.

Any ideas?

Thanks in advance
Old 06-18-2009, 11:47 AM
Fabrik8
Racetracks

Fabrik8 Fabrik8 Fabrik8 Fabrik8 Fabrik8 Fabrik8 Fabrik8 Fabrik8 Fabrik8 Fabrik8 Fabrik8
Default Re: Fuel gauge always reads full

Damn router went down and lost my reply. Take 2. Editing as I go along for safety this time.

Ok, so you've probably got a fatigued/broken wire on the harness, or a crimp pin has backed out of the connector shell when the harness was reconnected. You should do a continuity check between the crimp pin end of the wire and somewhere else along the wire (either the other end or you can pierce the wire insulation and check just about anywhere) to see if the problem is at the connector or not.

It's also possible that you've got a fatigued solder joint where the (gauge cluster) connector attaches to the gauge cluster circuit board. Usually the connectors are properly strain relieved for normal use but if you've been yanking everything around then something might be fatigued. If your continuity check turns out fine, and the rest of the gauge cluster seems to work, you might want to take apart the gauge cluster so you can see where the connector mates to the circuit board. If you see a cracked solder joint (hard to spot with the naked eye, you may need some magnification) you should be able to reflow the solder joint with some fresh solder.

A factory service manual will have all the schematic info you need to track down which of the connector position(s) pertain to the signals you're interested in.

Last edited by Fabrik8; 06-18-2009 at 11:54 AM.
Old 06-19-2009, 11:40 AM
disisaghettosn
Registered Member

disisaghettosn is on a distinguished road
Default Re: Fuel gauge always reads full

I really appreciate the info man, I'll try it out and let you know how it goes.