Notices
Tech Talk Anything technically related to your vehicle should be posted here. If you're looking to have work done, try one of the Regional Forums.

inner tie rod

Old 07-01-2009, 06:39 AM
00civicman
Registered member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
00civicman is infamous around these parts00civicman is infamous around these parts00civicman is infamous around these parts00civicman is infamous around these parts00civicman is infamous around these parts00civicman is infamous around these parts00civicman is infamous around these parts00civicman is infamous around these parts00civicman is infamous around these parts00civicman is infamous around these parts00civicman is infamous around these parts
Default inner tie rod

can someone walk me through how to change an inner tie rod on a 1990 civic, searched tha internet could only find how to do the outer tie rod help asap
Old 07-01-2009, 06:50 AM
madsteez
Ohhh Snap

madsteez madsteez madsteez madsteez madsteez madsteez madsteez madsteez madsteez madsteez madsteez
Default Re: inner tie rod

I would not suggest doing it unless its on a lift. The amount of force your going to need to apply to break the retaining bolt loose could easily make the car fall off jack stands.
Old 07-01-2009, 11:16 AM
jloehlein
Registered member

jloehlein has disabled reputation
Default Re: inner tie rod

I've changed the driver's side one on my EG while the rack was on the car without a lift and it wasn't too bad. I just removed the clamps on the dust boot, cut the old dust boot off, grabbed the rack with the correct sized wrench and the inner tie rod with another wrench or a pair of channel locks (I forget) and uscrewed the tie rod end. Mine didn't take an unreasonable amount of force to break loose.

Getting it on was a bit trickier for me because I couldn't get a great angle at it to punch in the retaning clip on all 4 sides. I got 3 of the 4 sides after 10-15 minutes with an extension and a punch and just left the 4th alone.

If you have never worked on suspension before, try to get a friend who has to help you out. Breaking the outer tie rod from the knuckle can be annoying. If you can't undo that bolt, hold the top of the outer tie rod and the bottom of the tab on the knuckle with a pair of channel locks to keep the joint from rotating. Or use an impact gun.

Last edited by jloehlein; 07-01-2009 at 11:22 AM.