Notices
Tech Talk Anything technically related to your vehicle should be posted here. If you're looking to have work done, try one of the Regional Forums.

Chevy Cavalier tensioner assembly removal

Old 10-02-2009, 11:51 AM
94_CRVtec
Registered Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
94_CRVtec has disabled reputation
Default Chevy Cavalier tensioner assembly removal

Ok, i have been trying to wrap my brain around this all day and cant for the life of me figure it out. I have searched google over and over trying to find something with no results if anyone can help me plz do.

Im trying to replace a tensioner assembly on a 99 Chevy Cavalier the issue i run into is once u get the bolt so far out that holds it in it hits the inner fender. I called a mechanic and he says to pull the motor mount lose and jack up the motor to give it an angle and pull it out that way but when i tried that instead of the motor tilting it just lifted the whole damn thing. My next guess is to just drill a hole in the inner fender and pull it out through the wheel well but before i do anything like that i wanted to see if anyone here has any ideas or advice.

Thx in advance!
Old 10-02-2009, 03:24 PM
Fabrik8
Racetracks

Fabrik8 Fabrik8 Fabrik8 Fabrik8 Fabrik8 Fabrik8 Fabrik8 Fabrik8 Fabrik8 Fabrik8 Fabrik8
Default Re: Chevy Cavalier tensioner assembly removal

I've never worked on one of those before (personal preference) but I assume that if you're lifting the whole end of the car instead of just the engine, you haven't got enough of the mounts free. For example, if you have 3 mounts, and you unbolt one, you've still got two mounts that are not going to let the engine move very much. You're trying to take enough of them out that the engine will pivot at the remaining ones, get it? You're not trying to raise the engine by using a subframe that is still very rigidly attached to the car, are you?

If you're trying to replace a tensioner for the timing belt, most cars don't need to have any special fender modifications or any need to remove the engine, if that helps at all. TH=here should be a fairly easy way to do what you need to do.

Last edited by Fabrik8; 10-02-2009 at 03:27 PM.
Old 10-02-2009, 03:26 PM
BAN HAMMER
NAZI mod

BAN HAMMER BAN HAMMER BAN HAMMER BAN HAMMER BAN HAMMER BAN HAMMER BAN HAMMER BAN HAMMER BAN HAMMER BAN HAMMER BAN HAMMER

Spend $18 and buy the haynes manual at Advance auto parts. It will help.

/thread.
Old 10-02-2009, 03:28 PM
Fabrik8
Racetracks

Fabrik8 Fabrik8 Fabrik8 Fabrik8 Fabrik8 Fabrik8 Fabrik8 Fabrik8 Fabrik8 Fabrik8 Fabrik8

Originally Posted by Boost-box
Spend $18 and buy the haynes manual at Advance auto parts. It will help.

/thread.
I was thinking it would be better to get rid of it and buy another one, or something different. Cavaliers are pretty disposable.