Notices
Tech Talk Anything technically related to your vehicle should be posted here. If you're looking to have work done, try one of the Regional Forums.

Any T-56 guys here?

Old 11-17-2009, 04:55 AM
club_xcursion
secret-asian-man!!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
club_xcursion is a name known to allclub_xcursion is a name known to allclub_xcursion is a name known to allclub_xcursion is a name known to allclub_xcursion is a name known to allclub_xcursion is a name known to all
Default Any T-56 guys here?

ok well i found a T56 for a hell of a deal. came out of an 03 GTO and im trying to see what all i would need to put it in my 88 mustang with a 351w. or if anyone have used a T56 in anything older and had to convert from cable to hydro.

any help would be great :-D
thanks
Old 11-17-2009, 04:56 AM
Daft Punk
Gaming Extraordinair

Daft Punk Daft Punk Daft Punk Daft Punk Daft Punk Daft Punk Daft Punk Daft Punk Daft Punk Daft Punk Daft Punk
Default Re: Any T-56 guys here?

I had a tremec in my Volvo back in the day. bump for you.
Old 11-17-2009, 06:34 AM
RandomTask
Registered member

RandomTask RandomTask RandomTask RandomTask RandomTask RandomTask RandomTask RandomTask RandomTask RandomTask RandomTask

T-56 will bolt to anything with the right amount of money. You're prob gonna have to find a bell housing.

I'm uncertain on what the GTO ver of the T56 entails, but I know on the M6 ,ff you're making anything over 400 hp, send it out to have it beefed up (http://www.tick-performance.com/tick...body/t56parts/)
Old 11-17-2009, 09:06 AM
Nick1979
Registered member

Nick1979 has disabled reputation

Im pretty sure you are going to have to change the input shaft and output shaft of the trans due to the different spline counts between GM and ford. Plus the GM version uses a hydro actuated clutch while ford uses a cable actuated one in its mustangs, until the 05's came out. Also you have a mechanical speedo while the GTO is electrical. Might not be worth the money. There was a cobra T--56 on craigslist for 1900. I know its more money but by the time you do all the stuff to the GTO trans you might be in that ballpark anyway.

Last edited by Nick1979; 11-17-2009 at 09:11 AM.
Old 11-18-2009, 03:55 AM
club_xcursion
secret-asian-man!!

club_xcursion is a name known to allclub_xcursion is a name known to allclub_xcursion is a name known to allclub_xcursion is a name known to allclub_xcursion is a name known to allclub_xcursion is a name known to all

well dang, so the cobra t56 is still cable?
basicly im making a drag car and i refuse to go c4 just bc of i want it to be streetable to a point. but i heard a regular t5 wont hold up in high hp levels and something about a tremec t5 that wont let u shift until the rpms drop under 6k.
so im stuck on getting a t56. :-D
Old 11-18-2009, 04:01 AM
Broke Neck
-8th Day Clothing-

Broke Neck Broke Neck Broke Neck Broke Neck Broke Neck Broke Neck Broke Neck Broke Neck Broke Neck Broke Neck Broke Neck

Originally Posted by club_xcursion
well dang, so the cobra t56 is still cable?
basicly im making a drag car and i refuse to go c4 just bc of i want it to be streetable to a point. but i heard a regular t5 wont hold up in high hp levels and something about a tremec t5 that wont let u shift until the rpms drop under 6k.
so im stuck on getting a t56. :-D
Find you a TKO 600 should be all you need. Ive got a Gforce T5 in mine and its got straight cut gears first - third and 26 spline input shaft vs the 1o on a stock T5 .... holds the power in my car just fine. (The clutch on the other hand was the next weakest link ) I went through 6 t5's and finally found a hell of a deal on the Gforce one.

A regular t5 is rated to "300" which is bullshit because I went through 3 of them when I was right at 300 on the motor.

Im pretty sure with a t56 you have to fab up a different crossmember as well. Do some research into a Tremec TKO 600
Old 11-18-2009, 04:15 AM
club_xcursion
secret-asian-man!!

hell yea thanks broke neck. how does your car drive on the street with cut gears? someone told me tremec would do it for you so trans could shift in the 6k+ range but then you wouldnt be able to drive it on the street. tru?
Old 11-18-2009, 04:16 AM
Daft Punk
Gaming Extraordinair

Daft Punk Daft Punk Daft Punk Daft Punk Daft Punk Daft Punk Daft Punk Daft Punk Daft Punk Daft Punk Daft Punk

yeah id go TKO.
Old 11-18-2009, 04:33 AM
TransAmWS6
Drives a Mustang

TransAmWS6 TransAmWS6 TransAmWS6 TransAmWS6 TransAmWS6 TransAmWS6 TransAmWS6 TransAmWS6 TransAmWS6 TransAmWS6 TransAmWS6

i think the t-56 out of the GTO is a viper spec. and no need to beef it up for 400 hp like somebody said. tons of guys run well over 400hp on the stock t-56.
Old 11-18-2009, 04:42 AM
Broke Neck
-8th Day Clothing-

Broke Neck Broke Neck Broke Neck Broke Neck Broke Neck Broke Neck Broke Neck Broke Neck Broke Neck Broke Neck Broke Neck

Originally Posted by club_xcursion
hell yea thanks broke neck. how does your car drive on the street with cut gears? someone told me tremec would do it for you so trans could shift in the 6k+ range but then you wouldnt be able to drive it on the street. tru?
Other than it being a little loud from the whine .... it feels like a stock t5, its not notchy whatsoever .... and I dont have any problems shifting at higher RPMS and getting a "lockout"

I have heard the TKOs are a little "notchy" but non the less still a good tranny to hold some power.

I know of ALOT of "street cars" that have TKO's. Your gay if you put an Auto in the car btw!

What kind of power are you looking to make? We talking 1000 or about 500 or so.

Quick Reply: Any T-56 guys here?