Notices
757 The 757 forum. Introductions and regional topics go here.

hood scoop

Old 11-15-2003, 12:14 AM
Neo Xian Wu
Dont Be Scared Homie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Neo Xian Wu Neo Xian Wu Neo Xian Wu Neo Xian Wu Neo Xian Wu Neo Xian Wu Neo Xian Wu Neo Xian Wu Neo Xian Wu Neo Xian Wu Neo Xian Wu
Default hood scoop

anyone know of a place where i could get a functional hood scoop installed? not sure how well fiberglass would hold up, as my hood is known to get pretty frickin hot. thx
Old 11-15-2003, 03:05 AM
NIC668
Registered Member

NIC668 NIC668 NIC668 NIC668 NIC668 NIC668 NIC668 NIC668 NIC668 NIC668 NIC668

joegreddy can do it...well I am pretty sure he can
Old 11-15-2003, 07:41 AM
MegaH_MaN
WRX 0-60: NOW!!

MegaH_MaN has a little shameless behaviour in the past

Do you have a hood scoop already? or do you just need one installed...if u want i still have my old wrx hood scoop since i replaced mine with the sti sized one...i can sell it to ya!
Old 11-15-2003, 06:09 PM
Neo Xian Wu
Dont Be Scared Homie

Neo Xian Wu Neo Xian Wu Neo Xian Wu Neo Xian Wu Neo Xian Wu Neo Xian Wu Neo Xian Wu Neo Xian Wu Neo Xian Wu Neo Xian Wu Neo Xian Wu

i don't have a scoop right now. i wanted to get one installed and was trying to see if anyone knew any places i could call and get prices. the closest i can get to a stock hood scoop is off an 83 Starion/Conquest. those are rare as hell and the scoop isn't even functional.

MegaH_MaN: pm me some details
Old 11-15-2003, 06:22 PM
Cuda

Cuda is on a distinguished road

Functional as in it does what?

Very few kits exist to convert modern fuel injected cars to use functional hood scoops. In fact the only ones that come to mind are for late model Mustangs and F-bodies.

Anything you do would have to be custom piping to your intake, intercooler, whatever you plan to do with it.

With that stated you are going to need the scoop. Believe it or not JC Whitney offers quite a selection of different styled fiberglass hood scoops that can be bonded onto the hood of your car. You could then cut a hole in your hood and do what you got to do to make it functional.

If you want a premade functional shaker hood assembly Banshee makes one that costs $800 (the Mustang/F-body application I mentioned). It goes for like $800+ but it also includes the hood.

http://www.haneymotorsport.com/BANSH...ERFORMANCE.htm

That is a V-6 application, originally the kit was made for the 87-93 Mustang and the later SN-95 kits were developed. They are the OEM manufacture for the Mustang Mach 1.
Old 11-15-2003, 06:27 PM
nolongerhere.
I'm audi5000.

nolongerhere. nolongerhere. nolongerhere. nolongerhere. nolongerhere. nolongerhere. nolongerhere.

Originally posted by Cuda
Functional as in it does what?

Very few kits exist to convert modern fuel injected cars to use functional hood scoops. In fact the only ones that come to mind are for late model Mustangs and F-bodies.

Anything you do would have to be custom piping to your intake, intercooler, whatever you plan to do with it.

With that stated you are going to need the scoop. Believe it or not JC Whitney offers quite a selection of different styled fiberglass hood scoops that can be bonded onto the hood of your car. You could then cut a hole in your hood and do what you got to do to make it functional.

If you want a premade functional shaker hood assembly Banshee makes one that costs $800 (the Mustang/F-body application I mentioned). It goes for like $800+ but it also includes the hood.

http://www.haneymotorsport.com/BANSH...ERFORMANCE.htm

That is a V-6 application, originally the kit was made for the 87-93 Mustang and the later SN-95 kits were developed. They are the OEM manufacture for the Mustang Mach 1.
who ever said cuda isn't helpful?
Old 11-15-2003, 06:29 PM
Neo Xian Wu
Dont Be Scared Homie

well i'm not exactly using said scoop for ram air. i want to have it for cooling purposes, as the underhood temps of my car get rather high. and i can't really see trying to get a hood that's more than likely not going to fit on my car try to fit. a little more work than i'm really willing to do.
Old 11-15-2003, 06:59 PM
Cuda

Originally posted by Neo Xian Wu
well i'm not exactly using said scoop for ram air. i want to have it for cooling purposes, as the underhood temps of my car get rather high.
If you are only interested in getting the heat out of the engine compartment then all you need to do is go order a scoop from JC Whitney, cut a hole in your hood, and bond the scoop over the hole.

However the hood scoop isn’t really the best way to go about doing this. What you really need to do is get a cowl induction hood. I don’t think one is made for your car; however fiberglass ones are offered for an assortment of cars, and much like the hood scoop you would simply bond it to your stock hood and cut out the material of your stock hood. The advantage of the cowl induction hood is that you’ll still have excellent heat dissipation through cool air circulating from under the car and out the back of the hood and it won’t dramatically increase drag the way a hood scoop would.

An assortment of hood scoops:

http://www.jcwhitney.com/webapp/wcs/...ControllerView

This is actually a very small selection on their website geared more towards the riceboy crowd. If you get their print catalog they have a far greater assortment of scoops.

Originally posted by Neo Xian Wu
and i can't really see trying to get a hood that's more than likely not going to fit on my car try to fit. a little more work than i'm really willing to do.
You aren’t a very bright one are you?

I mentioned that it included the hood because it greatly contributed to the cost of the unit. It was implied that you would ask the company to sell you just the shaker scoop assembly at a discounted price. I’ll have to remember when dealing with you kids in the future to never assume anything. MTV has ruined your brain.
Old 11-15-2003, 07:05 PM
Cuda

These guys have really good products too:

http://www.up22.com/ALLINDEX.htm

Midway down the page you can see a bond on cowl induction panel for a stock hood. Just look for one that fits a car that has a similar hood (size, curvature, etc…) to your car.

Their stuff seems to be hand laid fiberglass rather than that spray molded bullshit most “JDM” companies sell to the Civic crowd.
Old 11-15-2003, 10:25 PM
Digger70chall
Registered member

Digger70chall Digger70chall Digger70chall Digger70chall Digger70chall Digger70chall Digger70chall Digger70chall Digger70chall Digger70chall Digger70chall

cuda what's gotten into you? I'm worried, I think this is the first post where you didn't just slam somebody and helped out! I hope it's not a new trend