Notices
Automotive Discussion Automotive talk that is not technical can be posted here. Posts must address the general population.

I want to learn automotive body repair and paint. Any suggestions?

Old 12-14-2009, 05:04 PM
DickButt
DEY SEE ME TROLLIN

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
DickButt DickButt DickButt DickButt DickButt DickButt DickButt DickButt DickButt DickButt DickButt
Default I want to learn automotive body repair and paint. Any suggestions?

I'm not trying to get into the repair part, mainly just prepping and paint. I know nothing about it whatsoever but I see that TNCC offers a class for it? Does anyone have any experience or feedback with this course? Any other suggestions? Is this something I could learn in several months of hard work and begin painting my cars with quality work out of my garage?
Any advice from experienced people is appreciated.
Old 12-14-2009, 06:02 PM
Reloaded
nortaP

Reloaded Reloaded Reloaded Reloaded Reloaded Reloaded Reloaded Reloaded Reloaded Reloaded Reloaded
Default Re: I want to learn automotive body repair and paint. Any suggestions?

I recommend wrecking your Civic at least once. That way you can slap some wal-mart brand bondo all over the place and call it a project.

But really, perhaps the local community college has a course? A buddy of mine took a welding class down there.

Or someone with a shop could start you off. But you'd probably be sweeping floors for a while.
Old 12-14-2009, 06:09 PM
DickButt
DEY SEE ME TROLLIN

DickButt DickButt DickButt DickButt DickButt DickButt DickButt DickButt DickButt DickButt DickButt

Originally Posted by Reloaded
I recommend wrecking your Civic at least once. That way you can slap some wal-mart brand bondo all over the place and call it a project.

But really, perhaps the local community college has a course? A buddy of mine took a welding class down there.

Or someone with a shop could start you off. But you'd probably be sweeping floors for a while.
As lame as it sounds, I'm still unemployed atm, looking for a job. So starting off sweeping floors if it led towards something I was interested in would be ok with me. (as long as I took home a paycheck)
Old 12-14-2009, 06:17 PM
bos74211
mr.saltine

bos74211 bos74211 bos74211 bos74211 bos74211 bos74211 bos74211 bos74211 bos74211 bos74211 bos74211

Originally Posted by DickButt
I'm not trying to get into the repair part, mainly just prepping and paint. I know nothing about it whatsoever but I see that TNCC offers a class for it? Does anyone have any experience or feedback with this course? Any other suggestions? Is this something I could learn in several months of hard work and begin painting my cars with quality work out of my garage?
Any advice from experienced people is appreciated.
o took new horizons course back in high school.those place like that teach u how to use the toll an mixing bondo an stuff but the way to really learn is to find a shop that does that kind of work.in all honesty most places will let u watch.one u get that part dwn.go get u a fender an smack a few dings in it an work em out till u get the hang of high spots an low spot.painting is easy compared 2 prepping.once u learn 2 prep real good,your mind will be more than ready for the spraying process.couple runs here an there but youll learn. thats all there gone do in that class.
pic a panel instructor pow wit hammer
you damn is gonna stop
instructor fix it.lol
Old 12-14-2009, 06:19 PM
team703
Registered Member

team703 team703 team703 team703 team703 team703 team703 team703 team703 team703 team703

Originally Posted by bos74211
o took new horizons course back in high school.those place like that teach u how to use the toll an mixing bondo an stuff but the way to really learn is to find a shop that does that kind of work.in all honesty most places will let u watch.one u get that part dwn.go get u a fender an smack a few dings in it an work em out till u get the hang of high spots an low spot.painting is easy compared 2 prepping.once u learn 2 prep real good,your mind will be more than ready for the spraying process.couple runs here an there but youll learn. thats all there gone do in that class.
you damn is gonna stop
instructor fix it.lol
You high on paint fumes right now?
Old 12-16-2009, 07:58 PM
DickButt
DEY SEE ME TROLLIN

Hoping to bump for more advice.
Old 12-16-2009, 08:04 PM
bbsIx
Registered Member

bbsIx bbsIx bbsIx bbsIx

bos pretty much hit it head on, its retarded easy in theory. just takes ALOT of practice.
Old 12-16-2009, 11:08 PM
DickButt
DEY SEE ME TROLLIN

Originally Posted by bos74211
you damn is gonna stop
instructor fix it.lol
Do you do bodywork for a living, or did you just practice it in highschool?
I don't want to work for someone else doing it, unless it was just to learn it for myself.
I was thinking about the TNCC course....
Old 12-17-2009, 02:29 AM
FairladyZTT
TRIED HIS GT!

FairladyZTT FairladyZTT FairladyZTT FairladyZTT FairladyZTT FairladyZTT FairladyZTT FairladyZTT FairladyZTT FairladyZTT FairladyZTT

Originally Posted by DickButt
Do you do bodywork for a living, or did you just practice it in highschool?
I don't want to work for someone else doing it, unless it was just to learn it for myself.
I was thinking about the TNCC course....
Pretty much... what I have always been told is.

It is all in the prep work. Shooting the car takes no time. You just have to know how the gun works and the air pressure. Will also need the proper tools... like water traps and such.

The prep work is what makes the paint job, getting the lines smooth, making sure it level, an evenly prepped surface. When you paint.. you will see every imperfection in the prep work.

BTW....

Painting in your garage is not that smart of an idea.

1. automotive paint can kill you or seriously give you brain damage if you are exposed to it in a room, for a long period of time, without proper ventilation.

2. paint booths have down drafts or cross drafts that pull the excessive paint that will be floating away from the car so that it doesn't land on the car and give the car a dull look.

3. the paint booth also filters the air from the pain so that you aren't spreading your wonderful new hobby with the neighborhood, and getting overspray on the neighbors cars.
Old 12-17-2009, 03:23 AM
R. Danneskjöld
Logic is my religion

R. Danneskjöld R. Danneskjöld R. Danneskjöld R. Danneskjöld R. Danneskjöld R. Danneskjöld R. Danneskjöld R. Danneskjöld R. Danneskjöld R. Danneskjöld R. Danneskjöld

The course is prob a good Idea. Bos's advice was good as well. I learned how to paint Aircraft while I was in the Marines (which is Basic compared to Automotive). It got me interested so I started experimenting and practicing on old parts. Eventually, I was doing valve covers and toolboxes. Some good advice from an old car guy friend/mentor of mine led me to U wrench it to get an old fender, and I did some work on that. If I had the time I would love to take a course, I think it would be helpful. But I have gotten pretty decent just buy trial and error with a little advice/training.

Also you can paint a lot of stuff home in your garage but I wouldn't recommend trying to spray a whole car , or anything much larger than a refrigerator without some serious consideration for ventilation, and a respirator is a good idea no matter what you are painting.

Quick Reply: I want to learn automotive body repair and paint. Any suggestions?