Notices
Tech Talk Anything technically related to your vehicle should be posted here. If you're looking to have work done, try one of the Regional Forums.

mr2 bov question,please help!!!!

Old 12-19-2009, 01:55 PM
mistertwo6
Registered Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
mistertwo6 has disabled reputation
Question mr2 bov question,please help!!!!

are there any mr2 turbo owners or toyota techs on here.just got a mr2 turbo and i was wondering if i could do away with the stock bov and do a aftermarket thats vented to the atmosphere????
Old 12-19-2009, 02:27 PM
JROW
S a D u B

JROW JROW JROW JROW JROW JROW JROW JROW JROW JROW JROW
Default Re: mr2 bov question,please help!!!!

Mr2s use a bypass valve. Aftermarket bov's make them run like shit.
Old 12-19-2009, 08:26 PM
PJ2
Registered Member

PJ2

You can install a BOV but you need to make sure it does not open under vacuum like the OEM BPV does. The MR2 uses an air flow meter and it will run lean and have an erratic idle if the BOV opens under vacuum.
Old 12-20-2009, 05:15 AM
thermal
TurboPipingSystems

thermal thermal thermal thermal thermal thermal thermal thermal thermal thermal thermal

Aftermarket BOV will work....... you just need to reroute the BOV outlet the same way the stock BOV is......
Old 12-20-2009, 05:20 AM
RC MR2
MINTYR

RC MR2 is infamous around these partsRC MR2 is infamous around these partsRC MR2 is infamous around these partsRC MR2 is infamous around these partsRC MR2 is infamous around these partsRC MR2 is infamous around these partsRC MR2 is infamous around these partsRC MR2 is infamous around these partsRC MR2 is infamous around these partsRC MR2 is infamous around these partsRC MR2 is infamous around these parts

my friend has a hks BOV and he had to reroute the same way as the stock one
Old 12-20-2009, 11:08 AM
Fabrik8
Racetracks

Fabrik8 Fabrik8 Fabrik8 Fabrik8 Fabrik8 Fabrik8 Fabrik8 Fabrik8 Fabrik8 Fabrik8 Fabrik8

Any car with a MAF sensor is the same. The stock BOV will route to the downstream side of the MAF, so you aren't venting air to the atmosphere that the MAF has already measured. So if you get an aftermarket BOV, make sure you get one that is able to be plumbed as a recirc valve. MR2, WRX, any car with a MAF has to follow this rule so you won't have a nice hiccup everytime you blow off. Basically you don't want to vent air mass out of the system that is expected to be going into the engine.

Hondas, etc., that have a MAP sensor are a different story; they work off of air temp and manifold pressure so venting air to the atmosphere doesn't matter because the change in pressure will be compensated for.

Last edited by Fabrik8; 12-20-2009 at 11:12 AM.
Old 12-20-2009, 12:18 PM
BeefCake
Registered member

BeefCake BeefCake BeefCake BeefCake BeefCake BeefCake BeefCake BeefCake BeefCake BeefCake BeefCake

thorw the bov on n then adjsut it. i had a type-s on mine n had to just adjust it till it wouldn't stall out going to nuetral/clutch in. it'll run rich for that split second every time u shift but its not that bad.
Old 12-20-2009, 02:01 PM
Fabrik8
Racetracks

Fabrik8 Fabrik8 Fabrik8 Fabrik8 Fabrik8 Fabrik8 Fabrik8 Fabrik8 Fabrik8 Fabrik8 Fabrik8

Or just get the right type of BOV and then you don't have to compromise or adjust something just to make it function marginally.
Old 12-20-2009, 02:56 PM
Dark-SRT4
Ƴᴧᴍᴧӈᴧ

Dark-SRT4 has disabled reputation

Yup, it's best to stick with the stocker (it works the best for a recirculating valve).

On my '92, when I ran it with a vented Greddy Type S (which wasn't for long) it would shoot huge flames out of the exhaust from running really rich every time the pressure was released.

Old 12-20-2009, 03:44 PM
jdm monkey
LIKE A BOSS

jdm monkey jdm monkey jdm monkey jdm monkey jdm monkey jdm monkey jdm monkey jdm monkey jdm monkey jdm monkey jdm monkey

Originally Posted by Kurazy Kracka
thorw the bov on n then adjsut it. i had a type-s on mine n had to just adjust it till it wouldn't stall out going to nuetral/clutch in. it'll run rich for that split second every time u shift but its not that bad.
i heard it will shoot fire!!

does that make the OP wanna put one on now?

Quick Reply: mr2 bov question,please help!!!!