Notices
757 The 757 forum. Introductions and regional topics go here.

Tolls on the midtown/downtown tunnels

Old 01-12-2010, 07:41 PM
Motrv8d
Registered Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Motrv8d Motrv8d Motrv8d Motrv8d Motrv8d Motrv8d Motrv8d Motrv8d Motrv8d Motrv8d Motrv8d
Default Tolls on the midtown/downtown tunnels

http://www.wavy.com/dpp/news/local_n...-tube-possible
PORTSMOUTH, Va. - A new project is in the works for Hampton Roads--big news could bring big construction of a possible 2nd Midtown Tunnel tube.

The Virginia Department of Transportation plans to pay for the project with public and private funding, in addition to toll boths at both the existing Midtown Tunnel and Downtown Tunnel in Portsmouth, a factor some drivers didn't want to hear.

"People get spun up when they hear tolls, but if they did it in such a manner [where] they didn't tax the locals, it would be a smarter way to go so that our local economy isn't penalized," said Kathleen Peterson.

"We certainly understand those concerns and that's why VDOT is committed to looking at the toll structure to figure out the best way to go about developing a project that will ultimately increase capacity and reduce congestion," said Shannon Marshall, a spokesperson for VDOT.

WAVY.com learned the project will be carried out in two phases. First is a feasibility study and a look at how to structure the tolls. Marshall said there is no set figure on the toll amount so far. The second phase will focus on engineering and construction costs.

Hampton Delegate Tom Gear, who sits on the state's Transportation Committee, is upset the plan only looks at southside tunnels. "It still doesn't address the major problems at the HRBT, the major problem in the Hampton Roads region is the HRBT and no one still wants to address it," he said.

As for the tolls, Chesapeake Sen. Frederick Quayle think's there's no other option. "I dont' think there's any question about that, the mood that the GA [General Assembly] is in now, I don't think we're going to see any transportation improvements that are not public-private partnerships and involve tolls. I don't care what it is I think that's what it's got to be at the moment."

Either way, many feel any project should have begun long ago. "We've been sitting on our hands forever in Tidewater and transportation," said Virginia Beach Delegate Bob Tata. "We really ought to be ashamed of ourselves."
thoughts?
Old 01-12-2010, 07:45 PM
Hicky
SPARKLE.motion

Hicky Hicky Hicky Hicky Hicky Hicky Hicky Hicky Hicky Hicky Hicky
Default Re: Tolls on the midtown/downtown tunnels

pay to sit in traffic... FUCK YES!
Old 01-12-2010, 07:46 PM
nftuatn
baller/dickbutt#69

nftuatn nftuatn nftuatn nftuatn nftuatn nftuatn nftuatn nftuatn nftuatn nftuatn nftuatn

Originally Posted by Hicky
pay to sit in traffic... FUCK YES!
only in america....and possibly uganda
Old 01-12-2010, 07:46 PM
BAN HAMMER
NAZI mod

BAN HAMMER BAN HAMMER BAN HAMMER BAN HAMMER BAN HAMMER BAN HAMMER BAN HAMMER BAN HAMMER BAN HAMMER BAN HAMMER BAN HAMMER

Hey I have a great idea....

LET'S MAKE TRAFFIC WORSE!!!

Oh yeah that will REAAAALLLLLYYYYY piss everyone off.

Let's run with it.
Old 01-12-2010, 07:50 PM
MA-HALF-E
Awesome.

MA-HALF-E MA-HALF-E MA-HALF-E MA-HALF-E MA-HALF-E MA-HALF-E MA-HALF-E MA-HALF-E MA-HALF-E MA-HALF-E MA-HALF-E

I'm all for it.
Old 01-12-2010, 07:59 PM
marlinspike
ATGATT

marlinspike marlinspike marlinspike marlinspike marlinspike marlinspike marlinspike marlinspike marlinspike marlinspike marlinspike

Why shouldn't the locals pay the tax? The locals are the ones who have their economy benefited by all of the commuters. Could you imagine what the Norfolk economy would be like if the only people in Norfolk were the people who lived in Norfolk?
Old 01-12-2010, 08:03 PM
Motrv8d
Registered Member

Motrv8d Motrv8d Motrv8d Motrv8d Motrv8d Motrv8d Motrv8d Motrv8d Motrv8d Motrv8d Motrv8d

Originally Posted by marlinspike
Why shouldn't the locals pay the tax? The locals are the ones who have their economy benefited by all of the commuters. Could you imagine what the Norfolk economy would be like if the only people in Norfolk were the people who lived in Norfolk?
yeah, we're all too busy paying for a train to run from Norfolk to Virginia Beach...awesome...
Old 01-12-2010, 08:11 PM
dsm9
ineedtochangemyname

dsm9 is a name known to alldsm9 is a name known to alldsm9 is a name known to alldsm9 is a name known to alldsm9 is a name known to alldsm9 is a name known to alldsm9 is a name known to all

id pay a lil if they would fix these shitty roads...
Old 01-12-2010, 08:15 PM
VroomVroom
(°____°)

VroomVroom VroomVroom VroomVroom VroomVroom VroomVroom VroomVroom VroomVroom VroomVroom VroomVroom VroomVroom VroomVroom

Originally Posted by dsm9
id pay a lil if they would fix these shitty roads...
me too
Old 01-12-2010, 08:18 PM
3Point5SE
Registered Member

3Point5SE 3Point5SE 3Point5SE 3Point5SE 3Point5SE 3Point5SE 3Point5SE 3Point5SE 3Point5SE 3Point5SE 3Point5SE
Question Re: Tolls on the midtown/downtown tunnels

Fuck Ya! I get to hear people bitch and complain about tolls and traffic! and the best part is that I don't ever use it to go anywhere.

Quick Reply: Tolls on the midtown/downtown tunnels