Notices
Tech Talk Anything technically related to your vehicle should be posted here. If you're looking to have work done, try one of the Regional Forums.

Vtec head + Vtec lockers = LS head *read

Old 01-21-2010, 06:38 AM
Big Boosta
Drives a "black" dc2

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Big Boosta Big Boosta Big Boosta Big Boosta Big Boosta Big Boosta Big Boosta Big Boosta Big Boosta Big Boosta Big Boosta
Default Vtec head + Vtec lockers = LS head *read

Ok, so the title doesn't explain what im really getting at. Im expecting a lot of dumb looks and head scratched but Ive been thinking of this for awhile and everyone i ask typically doesn't touch the subject.

**Read whole thing first....

This is conclusive to a race car type of motor so don't think im saying this for a street car i understand street cars in VTEC full time just doesn't work.

Ok, so a VTEC head with VTEC Killer cams looks like this.

Ok, now for a regular LS cam....

Ok, so hopfully by now you see where im coming from, if a VTEC head is VTEC the entire time, its just running off a huge lobe, now, an LS is running the same number of lobes just better for street. Now, if you were to take an LS head and put huge lobes in it would it TECHNICALLY be the same thing?

Now i know there are 2 major downfalls to this,

1. The LS cam cap doesn't allow for a big lobe

2. The LS head just doesn't have the meat and design to allow flow like a vtec head.

But really, im just looking for a confirmation in concept.

Any one?
Old 01-21-2010, 06:47 AM
Thurm@n
Still spinnin'

Thurm@n Thurm@n Thurm@n Thurm@n Thurm@n Thurm@n Thurm@n Thurm@n Thurm@n Thurm@n Thurm@n
Default Re: Vtec head + Vtec lockers = LS head *read

Toda VTEC killers eliminate VTEC, notice they don't have a 3rd lobe.
Old 01-21-2010, 06:50 AM
Subie2Honda
TreblicTunedFTW!!

Subie2Honda Subie2Honda

Wow, thats pretty deep for Honda talk......expect alot of blank looks and "deer-in-the-headlight" stares, lol

But honestly, I dunno. The concept is convincing, but as to whether its essentially the same, you got me. From appearance alone, it sounds possible. But then again, one lobe on one of the cams(the VTEC killers) is going to be rediculously larger in both lift and duration than a standard LS cam, but I THINK I comprehend the idea.

Pretty interesting brain food.........at least for me, anyway. My brain doesnt seem to eat too much anymore.
Old 01-21-2010, 06:53 AM
bbsIx
Registered Member

bbsIx bbsIx bbsIx bbsIx

so like LS full race cams? i mean wouldnt it be the same shit?
Old 01-21-2010, 06:55 AM
Big Boosta
Drives a "black" dc2

Big Boosta Big Boosta Big Boosta Big Boosta Big Boosta Big Boosta Big Boosta Big Boosta Big Boosta Big Boosta Big Boosta

Haha, yeah shits been bugging me. And yeah im saying in a RACE MOTOR setup, i understand the lobe different between a stock cam and a aftermarket cam if guna be significant haha. Im saying, put a Huge lobe ( read con #1 ) if in the whole understanding its the same.

And yes therman... i understand it has a third lobe haha...
And did you fix your tranny? my boy ripped his b16 trans apart and has all the gears, im sure hed sell me the 2nd cheap... LMK
Old 01-21-2010, 06:56 AM
bbsIx
Registered Member

bbsIx bbsIx bbsIx bbsIx

i dont see why not, in theory anyways.
Old 01-21-2010, 06:58 AM
Subie2Honda
TreblicTunedFTW!!

Subie2Honda Subie2Honda

Yeah no joke, I would very very interested to see if this would actually work or not........seems like with the grace of god, it just might.
Old 01-21-2010, 07:03 AM
b18b
Registered Member

b18b has disabled reputation

Yes your assumptions are correct. The main issue with the ls head the the rocker design, its not as stable as the vtec design in higher rpm's. The biggest cams you can get for the ls is about the same profile lift of a stock vtec high cam profile.

Also other than that toda cam design. A single vtec lobe cam is made with the primary and secondary profiles grinded off. Longer dowel pins are used inside to lock the rockers together and just runs off that single lobe.

Last edited by b18b; 01-21-2010 at 07:14 AM.
Old 01-21-2010, 07:14 AM
Thurm@n
Still spinnin'

Thurm@n Thurm@n Thurm@n Thurm@n Thurm@n Thurm@n Thurm@n Thurm@n Thurm@n Thurm@n Thurm@n

Originally Posted by theneonorder
Haha, yeah shits been bugging me. And yeah im saying in a RACE MOTOR setup, i understand the lobe different between a stock cam and a aftermarket cam if guna be significant haha. Im saying, put a Huge lobe ( read con #1 ) if in the whole understanding its the same.

And yes therman... i understand it has a third lobe haha...
And did you fix your tranny? my boy ripped his b16 trans apart and has all the gears, im sure hed sell me the 2nd cheap... LMK
I ended up gettin a tranny built about a month ago hopefully it has everything it's supposed to have in it.
Old 01-21-2010, 07:21 AM
Big Boosta
Drives a "black" dc2

Originally Posted by b18b
Yes your assumptions are correct. The main issue with the ls head the the rocker design, its not as stable as the vtec design in higher rpm's. The biggest cams you can get for the ls is about the same profile lift of a stock vtec high cam profile.

Also other than that toda cam design. A single vtec lobe cam is made with the primary and secondary profiles grinded off. Longer dowel pins are used inside to lock the rockers together and just runs off that single lobe.
Yeah i understand that, and im not saying that im going to use VTEC killers in a LS head haha, im saying if you got a custom lobbed LS cam if its pretty much the same thing.

And yeah like i said i know there cam cap doesn't allow for the LS lobe to be to big, but i wonder if there modifications that could be made? billet caps or something who knows... and i know the flow is greatly reduced.

And i didnt think there was a big difference in the rocker design, but i guess that makes since.

Quick Reply: Vtec head + Vtec lockers = LS head *read