Notices
Tech Talk Anything technically related to your vehicle should be posted here. If you're looking to have work done, try one of the Regional Forums.

engine rebuild...need input

Old 01-31-2010, 11:05 PM
supranite90
Pizza Delivery Guy

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
supranite90 is infamous around these partssupranite90 is infamous around these partssupranite90 is infamous around these partssupranite90 is infamous around these partssupranite90 is infamous around these partssupranite90 is infamous around these partssupranite90 is infamous around these partssupranite90 is infamous around these partssupranite90 is infamous around these partssupranite90 is infamous around these partssupranite90 is infamous around these parts
Question engine rebuild...need input

Ok so the main reason i'm rebuilding my engine (7MGTE) is bc i might have blow by which is causing the oil to burn and lotsa smoke comin out of the exhaust and because i have rod knock around 2k -3.5k RPM....so my question is...what parts would i need to order to fix the rod knock? would this be what i need? http://www.suprasport.com/Clevite-77...it_p_5353.html
Old 02-01-2010, 05:54 AM
bsharp11
Registered Member

bsharp11 is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: engine rebuild...need input

if you spun a bearing that may do the trick, but if you have blow by because of a spun bearing, you will probably need to get it bored a bit over and do new pistons and rings as well. usually when you spin a bearing, it causes excess wear on the ringlands, which will cause piston slap. aka, the ringlands wear down and the piston slaps around inside the cylinder wall. I would take a guess and say that you will need to get oversized pistons and rings, bore the block, and probably have the crank polished/get a new crank in adition to the bearing set. and count in new head gaskets while you are in there. the only way to tell is to tear the engine down and see!
Old 02-01-2010, 06:03 AM
weldmatic
Registered Member

weldmatic has disabled reputation

Originally Posted by bsharp11
if you spun a bearing that may do the trick, but if you have blow by because of a spun bearing, you will probably need to get it bored a bit over and do new pistons and rings as well. usually when you spin a bearing, it causes excess wear on the ringlands, which will cause piston slap. aka, the ringlands wear down and the piston slaps around inside the cylinder wall. I would take a guess and say that you will need to get oversized pistons and rings, bore the block, and probably have the crank polished/get a new crank in adition to the bearing set. and count in new head gaskets while you are in there. the only way to tell is to tear the engine down and see!

ring lands and piston slap have nothing to do with each other.

and when you spin a bearing it causes the rod not to get oiled or the big end of the rod gets outa round causing the knock....

my engine has piston slap all the time....

its because i have forged pistons and run a bigger ptw clearance...

and i have no rod knock or spun bearings.....

knock can be a few things.... low ring tension from a worn or old motor is one of them

a cracked compression ring will do it too.....
Old 02-01-2010, 07:58 AM
supranite90
Pizza Delivery Guy

supranite90 is infamous around these partssupranite90 is infamous around these partssupranite90 is infamous around these partssupranite90 is infamous around these partssupranite90 is infamous around these partssupranite90 is infamous around these partssupranite90 is infamous around these partssupranite90 is infamous around these partssupranite90 is infamous around these partssupranite90 is infamous around these partssupranite90 is infamous around these parts

fuckfuckfuckfuckfuck
Old 02-01-2010, 08:23 AM
hondub
I fix cars

hondub is an unknown quantity at this point

Neither of these replies is completely accurate. It sounds like you have a plain old tired engine. It needs to be pulled apart and everything needs to be measured and examined carefully. If you only want to pull it once, take the whole thing to a reputable machine shop and pay them to do it right. Good luck
Old 02-01-2010, 08:38 AM
weldmatic
Registered Member

weldmatic has disabled reputation

2jz time
Old 02-01-2010, 09:48 PM
Drake69
Out of mind, BRB....

Drake69 has disabled reputation

Originally Posted by weldmatic
2jz time
Ummmm.... why?

OP can handle a good 7M refresh without shelling out extra money for a 1JZ/2JZ.

...tard.
Old 02-01-2010, 09:51 PM
VroomVroom
(°____°)

VroomVroom VroomVroom VroomVroom VroomVroom VroomVroom VroomVroom VroomVroom VroomVroom VroomVroom VroomVroom VroomVroom

w16 time
Old 02-01-2010, 11:11 PM
supranite90
Pizza Delivery Guy

i would rather have a built 7M than a 2j anyways...more torque =D