Notices
Tech Talk Anything technically related to your vehicle should be posted here. If you're looking to have work done, try one of the Regional Forums.

battery question

Old 02-18-2010 | 03:12 PM
Brian_O'Connor
Temporary ######

Brian_O'Connor Brian_O'Connor Brian_O'Connor Brian_O'Connor Brian_O'Connor Brian_O'Connor Brian_O'Connor Brian_O'Connor Brian_O'Connor Brian_O'Connor Brian_O'Connor
Default battery question

I am possibly getting a 1991 civic hatch. theres a problem with it though. starter and battery have been replaced but the dude says it has a short in the taillights and the battery gets drained. so he installed a kill switch on the battery. any ideas why the battery would keep getting drained even with the car off?
Old 02-18-2010 | 03:13 PM
nftuatn
baller/dickbutt#69

nftuatn nftuatn nftuatn nftuatn nftuatn nftuatn nftuatn nftuatn nftuatn nftuatn nftuatn
Default Re: battery question

it has a draw...something is staying on
Old 02-18-2010 | 03:15 PM
Brian_O'Connor
Temporary ######

Brian_O'Connor Brian_O'Connor Brian_O'Connor Brian_O'Connor Brian_O'Connor Brian_O'Connor Brian_O'Connor Brian_O'Connor Brian_O'Connor Brian_O'Connor Brian_O'Connor

how do i figure out what it is?
Old 02-18-2010 | 03:17 PM
nftuatn
baller/dickbutt#69

nftuatn nftuatn nftuatn nftuatn nftuatn nftuatn nftuatn nftuatn nftuatn nftuatn nftuatn

a whole lot of wire tracing and checking plugs/wires/etc..

might take 20 minutes may take 20 days..
Old 02-18-2010 | 03:19 PM
Brian_O'Connor
Temporary ######

damnit.....will it hurt it just to run it with the kill switch till then? or am i looking at having to replace/recharge the battery a shit load till i figure it out?
Old 02-18-2010 | 03:22 PM
nftuatn
baller/dickbutt#69

well having a kill switch it should not kill the battery at all...once you flip the switch the battery is just sitting there not hooked up so to speak..then once you turn the switch the battery is back in the loop and ready
Old 02-18-2010 | 03:24 PM
Brian_O'Connor
Temporary ######

k so the kill switch will buy me time to figure it out....any ideas where i should start looking? dude says it takes bout 8 hrs to fully drain the battery. so im thinkin something isnt grounded right?
Old 02-18-2010 | 03:26 PM
nftuatn
baller/dickbutt#69

its more than likely a power issue...bad bulbs can cause it...

a screw thru wiring...a chafed wire touching the body...

a thousand possibilities
Old 02-18-2010 | 03:28 PM
Brian_O'Connor
Temporary ######

sweet. he said the battery was relocated to the trunk. possible bad wiring or screw through wire could be it. well thanks man. will probably be gettin the car tomorrow. will deffinitely keep u updated on my findings.
Old 02-19-2010 | 07:54 AM
Brian_O'Connor
Temporary ######

ok got another question. would this kill a starter? the starter committed suicide today. this will be the second one hes had go in a month.

Quick Reply: battery question