Notices
Tech Talk Anything technically related to your vehicle should be posted here. If you're looking to have work done, try one of the Regional Forums.

problem with the miata

Old 03-11-2010, 01:59 PM
jarrett2k
ConflictedFelon

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
jarrett2k jarrett2k jarrett2k jarrett2k jarrett2k jarrett2k jarrett2k jarrett2k jarrett2k jarrett2k jarrett2k
Default problem with the miata

a couple of days ago i noticed the miata was trying to cut out at 5k, no backfiring, no sputtering and it acted completely normal up to that point. but at 5k it would just act like it couldn't even pull its own weight. so i post up on miata turbo about it, only one guy replies thinking it's a spark issue.

i call a buddy of mine, he says it could be many things, told me to check the throttle cable, it's fine. told me to check plugs/wires, and that it could possibly be a head gasket.

okay, today i changed the plugs and wires and i noticed that a vacuum line going from the turbo piping to the boost controller was cut, so i replaced it too. i drove the car a while. it felt fine during normal operation (always did) but once i got into it it proved that it wasn't fine.

at about 3500 rpm, it starts building boost, gets to 1-2psi and falls at around 4-4500 rpm, but it will keep revving, just VERY slowly. and i noticed slight smoke at idle, and a slight teapot-like whistle under the hood, i'm assuming coolant, but you can only notice this after driving it a while, stopping and revving slightly.

i'm guessing it's a blown head gasket, but i hate to order all the stuff, waste the time replacing it all only to find out it wasn't the problem at all.

i don't know all that much about boosted vehicles, but i know how to work on stuff and change shit and whatnot, but trouble shooting is a whole different ballgame. any input will be appreciated.
Old 03-12-2010, 11:54 AM
Laserjock
Stiff Member

Laserjock Laserjock Laserjock Laserjock Laserjock Laserjock Laserjock Laserjock Laserjock Laserjock Laserjock
Default Re: problem with the miata

You checked the plugs when you pulled them? You can tell a lot about how the motor was running based on how the plugs

Check fuel pressure
Old 03-12-2010, 12:16 PM
actionpaintball

actionpaintball actionpaintball actionpaintball actionpaintball actionpaintball actionpaintball actionpaintball actionpaintball actionpaintball actionpaintball actionpaintball

Compression check, leak down check and coolant system pressure check first...as mentioned above-check your plugs when you take them out for the cylinder compression check.
Old 03-12-2010, 12:39 PM
b18b
Registered Member

b18b has disabled reputation

Sound like you have a boost/vacuum leak. Check all couplers for rips, gasket areas on intake manifold, and hoses.
Old 03-12-2010, 05:20 PM
jarrett2k
ConflictedFelon

jarrett2k jarrett2k jarrett2k jarrett2k jarrett2k jarrett2k jarrett2k jarrett2k jarrett2k jarrett2k jarrett2k

plugs were a dark grey, they were only about 6 months old.

car's on the back burner for now, weather is horrible and i pulled a muscle in my back today at work.
Old 03-16-2010, 06:08 PM
jarrett2k
ConflictedFelon

data logged it today. boost cuts hard after 3psi and about 4krpm and revving dramatically slows

since i have no wideband it's no way of me telling if something's up with the fuel.
Old 03-16-2010, 07:40 PM
ProbeGT-ZE
I <3 Hikki Chan!

ProbeGT-ZE ProbeGT-ZE ProbeGT-ZE ProbeGT-ZE ProbeGT-ZE ProbeGT-ZE ProbeGT-ZE ProbeGT-ZE ProbeGT-ZE ProbeGT-ZE ProbeGT-ZE

Sounds like a boost leak of some kind. Are you still running a MAF?
Old 03-17-2010, 02:48 PM
jarrett2k
ConflictedFelon

yeah, i'm running a MAF unless i'm mega mistaken.

i changed out the actuator today, didn't help. checked for leaks in the vacuum lines, couldn't find any just looking by eye. my uncle was over (GM tech) he said that it may be the internal wastegate itself but he's never seen one fail hiself.
Old 03-17-2010, 06:03 PM
ProbeGT-ZE
I <3 Hikki Chan!

ProbeGT-ZE ProbeGT-ZE ProbeGT-ZE ProbeGT-ZE ProbeGT-ZE ProbeGT-ZE ProbeGT-ZE ProbeGT-ZE ProbeGT-ZE ProbeGT-ZE ProbeGT-ZE

When you say the boost falls, do you mean you lose all boost or do you just stop building boost? Turbo itself might be have a blown seal
Old 03-17-2010, 06:13 PM
jarrett2k
ConflictedFelon

it looses boost. according to my latest datalog, it hits 3psi and falls rapidly. it goes into vacuum, even at WOT

Quick Reply: problem with the miata