Notices
Tech Talk Anything technically related to your vehicle should be posted here. If you're looking to have work done, try one of the Regional Forums.

How rich do you start to worry about fuel dilution of oil?

Old 06-26-2010, 06:00 PM
marlinspike
ATGATT

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
marlinspike marlinspike marlinspike marlinspike marlinspike marlinspike marlinspike marlinspike marlinspike marlinspike marlinspike
Default How rich do you start to worry about fuel dilution of oil?

I'm on a temporary fuel injection system for a few months. The best I can do with this is a 0.91 lambda when cruising (so ~12.9:1AFR). Is this so rich that you'd worry about fuel dilution of oil?

Last edited by marlinspike; 06-26-2010 at 06:36 PM.
Old 06-27-2010, 08:43 AM
Fabrik8
Racetracks

Fabrik8 Fabrik8 Fabrik8 Fabrik8 Fabrik8 Fabrik8 Fabrik8 Fabrik8 Fabrik8 Fabrik8 Fabrik8
Default Re: How rich do you start to worry about fuel dilution of oil?

You can change your oil more frequently, which always helps a lot. A lot of fuel can evap out of the oil if you're not doing short trips too, so if you're getting everything nice and hot for a while that tends to help too. Dilution depends on a lot of factors with the engine though, and if you've got that Merc V8 you have a lot of cylinder surface area to keep clean of excess fuel.
Old 06-27-2010, 09:06 AM
marlinspike
ATGATT

marlinspike marlinspike marlinspike marlinspike marlinspike marlinspike marlinspike marlinspike marlinspike marlinspike marlinspike
Default Re: How rich do you start to worry about fuel dilution of oil?

Ah, ok. Well, it's a low detergent oil so I change it every 3000 miles anyways. I pretty much never drive less than 7 miles unless the engine was already hot to begin with, and rarely am I below 55mph. And pretty much every week I do one 30 mile drive, mostly on the interstate, and then 30 miles back. But yeah, it's a 5.6 liter V8.

I guess I'll just keep an eye on the feel and smell until I get my digital controller for the fuel injection back. On this mechanical controller I can only get a difference of ~ 0.03 in the lambda between full throttle and cruise (i.e. if cruise is 0.91 lambda, full throttle is .88, though for some reason above 5500rpm the lambda drops to 0.80)

Last edited by marlinspike; 06-27-2010 at 09:14 AM.