Notices
The Twisties For all you cone killers and nazis. This includes Auto-X, Road Racing, and Drifting.

Rotors

Old 12-30-2002, 03:07 PM
Boosted2003
Banned

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Boosted2003 is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Rotors

Every one tells me that drilled rotors are better but im like no so which are better slotted or drilled for every day car i know they use them on f1 cars but thats different story... I perfer slotted less wear increased surface area over drilled and less warpage...
Old 12-30-2002, 03:40 PM
trip
///m thrizzle

trip has disabled reputation
Default Re: Rotors

Originally posted by Boosted2003
Every one tells me that drilled rotors are better but im like no so which are better slotted or drilled for every day car i know they use them on f1 cars but thats different story... I perfer slotted less wear increased surface area over drilled and less warpage...

dont the slots prevent the layer of gas/heat between the rotor and the pad? i think that the new power slot design is superior.
Old 12-30-2002, 04:02 PM
GreyGT-C
Just a 1.3 Liter

GreyGT-C is an unknown quantity at this point

Do cross drilled look pretty...yes
Are they worth a fuck............No

Do i have to post the pics of mine again?

The design of the slotted or drilled is to let the gas escape from between the pad and the rotor.
Do most people here need to worry about that....NO

If you are getting your brakes hot enough to start boiling the gases from the pads.....you are using the wrong pads. Buy real brake pads (not the special sale they had at Advanced auto, etc) Use real high grade brake fluid, COMPLETELY flush your system. I used drilled for a while, (with no noticable results other than they looked cool) After i started getting faster......i cracked them. I now run STOCK blank rotors w/ cheap home-made cooling ducts. MOST of the people you see at the track are using blanks/solids.
As far as i know of.....PhookaGt is one of the fastest track guys on here. I beleive he is running STOCK mustang brakes....and a mustang is a heavy car that is gonna generate alot of heat braking. He hasn't mentioned any braking probs to me.

My advice.... good fluid, good pads,maybe SS hoses.....and spend your money on something else.
Old 12-30-2002, 04:05 PM
trip
///m thrizzle

Originally posted by GreyGT-C

My advice.... good fluid, good pads,maybe SS hoses.....and spend your money on something else.
that is what i am doing also but i dont know what pads to do just for race not street.

this week im doing ate super blue fluid and spending my money on ss lines.
Old 12-30-2002, 04:28 PM
GreyGT-C
Just a 1.3 Liter

GreyGT-C is an unknown quantity at this point

Trip.

I like Ate super blue alot...i'm currently using it.

As far as pads.....are you doing auto-x or road courses?

If you are doing road courses......and this is your first year (or maybe second) you probably can use a high-grade street pad. I don't know enough about your car to make that judgement. The best advise i can give is.......ask questions of the people at the event you are doing. Rarely do i see anyone being a dick...these are car guys.....if you have a serious car question of them ...they will answer (you may get shunned if you are asking kiddie questions *wow, i bet your porshe is fast*, *what does it do in the 1/4mile*etc..) You drive a bmw, yes? Look on the web for the BMW forum or mailing list and ask them about your setup. While i have knowledge about what MY car needs......yours will differ and i have only marginal, basic info on that.

If you are Auto-Xing......i have no fricken clue what kinda beating the brakes take under those conditions.

If i can help any......let me know
Also hoping Dale (phooka) chimes in here
Old 12-30-2002, 04:33 PM
trip
///m thrizzle

Trip.

I like Ate super blue alot...i'm currently using it.

As far as pads.....are you doing auto-x or road courses?

If you are doing road courses......and this is your first year (or maybe second) you probably can use a high-grade street pad. I don't know enough about your car to make that judgement. The best advise i can give is.......ask questions of the people at the event you are doing. Rarely do i see anyone being a dick...these are car guys.....if you have a serious car question of them ...they will answer (you may get shunned if you are asking kiddie questions *wow, i bet your porshe is fast*, *what does it do in the 1/4mile*etc..) You drive a bmw, yes? Look on the web for the BMW forum or mailing list and ask them about your setup. While i have knowledge about what MY car needs......yours will differ and i have only marginal, basic info on that.

If you are Auto-Xing......i have no fricken clue what kinda beating the brakes take under those conditions.

If i can help any......let me know
Also hoping Dale (phooka) chimes in here

thanks a lot man i appreciate it (now back to james's rotors )
Old 12-30-2002, 07:10 PM
98sr20ve
Mr. Inconspicuous

98sr20ve is an unknown quantity at this point

Do cross drilled look pretty...yes
Are they worth a fuck............No

Do i have to post the pics of mine again?

The design of the slotted or drilled is to let the gas escape from between the pad and the rotor.
Do most people here need to worry about that....NO

If you are getting your brakes hot enough to start boiling the gases from the pads.....you are using the wrong pads. Buy real brake pads (not the special sale they had at Advanced auto, etc) Use real high grade brake fluid, COMPLETELY flush your system. I used drilled for a while, (with no noticable results other than they looked cool) After i started getting faster......i cracked them. I now run STOCK blank rotors w/ cheap home-made cooling ducts. MOST of the people you see at the track are using blanks/solids.
As far as i know of.....PhookaGt is one of the fastest track guys on here. I beleive he is running STOCK mustang brakes....and a mustang is a heavy car that is gonna generate alot of heat braking. He hasn't mentioned any braking probs to me.

Finally a voice of reason.
Old 12-31-2002, 05:16 AM
roadRacer
old guy

roadRacer is an unknown quantity at this point

As far as drilled or slotted brake rotors for the street (the original question), they look cool but don't do much else. Even in upper levels of racing it is something that is not really very popular anymore. There are a few applications where the brakes are critical and space constraints are small where it has a small effect (read NASCAR cars at Martinsville). Slotted rotors are just as effective as drilled rotors at a fraction of the machining costs. The brake gurus (Fred Puhn, Caroll Smith, etc.) all think the eccective way to slot is two groves across the rotors, one of each side of the hub, simple and as effective as anything else.

As far as pad selection, read this:
http://www.stoptech.com/whitepapers/...otors_myth.htm
written by Caroll Smith. I do believe in his recomendations in the article about pad choices.

In autocross full race pads will not work, but any high performance street pad is going to be fine. I like the Porterfield R4S. I think this is a pad that you can autocross, drive on the street and get away with at track events if you have good cooling, good fluid, and a fairly lightweight car like say a Civic, Sentra, or first gen RX7. If your car is significantly faster or heavier (say a 3rd gen RX7 or Mustang GT) you will have to change over to a better pad at the track. I have used the Hawk HP+ pads and think they are good. Phooka uses a Carbotech pad with success. Most of the pad manufacturers that stay in business any amount of time are producing a good product.

Last edited by roadRacer; 12-31-2002 at 05:19 AM.
Old 12-31-2002, 05:37 AM
roadRacer
old guy

roadRacer is an unknown quantity at this point

Phooka and I have virtually the same brakes on our Mustangs.... His brakes are stock brakes for a 95-98 Cobra or Bullitt Mustang. These are pretty serious brakes for a production car with 13" x 1.125" front rotors and rears that are > 12" diameter. But they are stock for these cars, but a healthy upgrade from a regular Mustang GT.
Old 12-31-2002, 12:39 PM
98sr20ve
Mr. Inconspicuous

98sr20ve is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally posted by roadRacer
His brakes are stock brakes for a 95-98 Cobra or Bullitt Mustang. These are pretty serious brakes for a production car with 13" x 1.125" front rotors and rears that are > 12" diameter. But they are stock for these cars, but a healthy upgrade from a regular Mustang GT.
Aren't those things Brembo's or something also sold over the counter aftermarket style. Kinda like the new track model 350Z brakes.

Quick Reply: Rotors