Notices
Tech Talk Anything technically related to your vehicle should be posted here. If you're looking to have work done, try one of the Regional Forums.

2 cycle fuel issue

Old 09-06-2010, 01:11 PM
jhholloway
Registered Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
jhholloway jhholloway jhholloway jhholloway jhholloway jhholloway jhholloway jhholloway jhholloway jhholloway jhholloway
Default 2 cycle fuel issue

I just picked up a buddy's scooter. He bought it new last year, but never got it running. I drained the fuel system: pumped the tank out and empties the lines, and filter. I then proceeded to take the carburetor off and disassemble the whole thing and do a visual inspection of the mechanics of it in addition to cleaning all the old gas out of it. Put it all back together and kick started it. nothing happened it just turned over.

I then pulled the plug wire and did the ol' screw driver trick and YES I HAVE SPARK. I then resorted to pulling the plug itself. Aha, it was not wet or anything. I took some starting fluid sprayed it in there, put the plug back in and cranked it. Toda! I got a very week start that lasted, well 'til the ether burned.

So to make this long story short. I have fuel til the carburetor for sure. But the fuel is not making it past the carb. I cannot think of what would be stopping the flow.

it is two cycle, but it is "oil injected." So there is is not mixing gas and oil like you would do for a chainsaw.

I would appreciate any help or advise.

Quick details:
new gas
fresh spark plug
has spark
clean airfilter (good air flow)
Old 09-06-2010, 06:36 PM
ej1995
Registered member

ej1995 ej1995 ej1995 ej1995 ej1995 ej1995 ej1995 ej1995 ej1995 ej1995 ej1995
Default Re: 2 cycle fuel issue

ok, when you had the carb off did you try and clean out the jet(s) you may have something clogged there. also i'm not exactly sure of what motor you have on it, etc. but if the carb was never messed with then the adjustment screws could be down too far and not letting gas flow.
Old 09-07-2010, 02:45 PM
jhholloway
Registered Member

jhholloway jhholloway jhholloway jhholloway jhholloway jhholloway jhholloway jhholloway jhholloway jhholloway jhholloway

Originally Posted by ej1995
ok, when you had the carb off did you try and clean out the jet(s) you may have something clogged there. also i'm not exactly sure of what motor you have on it, etc. but if the carb was never messed with then the adjustment screws could be down too far and not letting gas flow.
I looked in the jet; I didn't see anything though. I know the carb is out of adjustment... now. I look it ALL apart. The gas had partly solidified, leaving a brown scum... the gas was literally over a year old. As far as the engine goes: I have no clue on what brand it is. This was a ebay special. Like I said, it's a buddies and I hope everyone else would have better since than buy a scooter off the internet like this...

And for the record if later on some one actually searches before post a thread, do NOT use starter fluid that was a huge mistake. We get use to working on our little 4 cycle engines, any ways if you spray starter fluid in like I did, you are just burning that fuel and there is NO oil in there. So essentially you are running the engine with no oil. Correct me if I am wrong here, but starting fluid in a 2 cycle engine is stupid, so use a flammable lubricant. IE WD40.

I am going to cover the intake side of the carb and crank the engine. I hopes that this will pull the fuel through and maybe what ever is clogging it. Also keep in mind that this has never run before. So that changes the trouble shooting perspective b/c now we are dealing with most likely a defect.

What about a cracked ring? It seems to be fairly common on new engine that to have a broken piston ring. On small engine there has to be a significant amount of compression in order to start. For most 50cc scooters the specs are 110-120 and if the compression is less than 100 it will not start.

Last edited by jhholloway; 09-07-2010 at 02:50 PM.
Old 09-13-2010, 09:01 PM
ej1995
Registered member

ej1995 ej1995 ej1995 ej1995 ej1995 ej1995 ej1995 ej1995 ej1995 ej1995 ej1995

well, you can shoot starter fluid in the plug hole to get it going...but its not something you want to continuously do. you really need to pull that thing apart completely and let it live in some parts wash or coat it down hard with some b12 carb cleaner because if you've got gummed up stuff in it, forget about it just "pulling" the gas thru...it won't unless you are REALLY lucky.

cracked ring, maybe, but if the carbs out of adjustment and you know it then forget about the thing running properly. some of those things are so finicky anyway...
Old 09-13-2010, 09:36 PM
jhholloway
Registered Member

yeah, what you are saying was correct about the just taking it apart and letting it sit. when i took it apart again, I found that there was corrosion on the needle so the float was not able to move the needle allowing the gas through. so after a few minutes of steel wood or that thing you scrub pans with the needle was all shiny and moved easy. Because it was all taken about I soaked it in more cleaner to get the stuff that was left behind after I sprayed it out.

It was fairly easy to confirm compression and with the re-cleaned carb back on the motor I was able to move the gas along perfectly through the motor. Once the carbs was back on, one kick and she started... that was a great feeling. Finally, it starts.

Much to my dismay, I learn that the electric choke pull-off is not working. It is not pulling off, so now every time you give it gas the motor shuts down.

At what appears to be the stater solenoid I am getting 12v but there the choke pull off goes to the wiring harness I am only getting 1.4v but I tried to jump the choke straight off the battery and off a different place on the harness and it was no good. the choke is still not working.