Notices
Tech Talk Anything technically related to your vehicle should be posted here. If you're looking to have work done, try one of the Regional Forums.

Ran into flooded area

Old 09-30-2010, 07:48 PM
DingleCamEf
Registered Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
DingleCamEf has disabled reputation
Default Ran into flooded area

so i was driving through coventry and ran into a 4 foot ocean of water and my car cut off. it didnt bog down or anything just cut off. the battery got wet and shorted so it freakin exploded. i have a cold air that goes down into the fender with a bypass valve. is there anyway i possibly sucked up enought water to flood my motor? the car cut off about 4 seconds after i hit the puddle. any info will help

FUCK RAIN!
Old 09-30-2010, 07:49 PM
Delta Charlie
DGAF

Delta Charlie Delta Charlie Delta Charlie Delta Charlie Delta Charlie Delta Charlie Delta Charlie Delta Charlie Delta Charlie Delta Charlie Delta Charlie
Default Re: Ran into flooded area

Was the bypass valve soaked? Do you have the car somewhere inside that you are able to work on it?
Old 09-30-2010, 07:52 PM
DingleCamEf
Registered Member

Originally Posted by Delta Charlie
Was the bypass valve soaked? Do you have the car somewhere inside that you are able to work on it?
well i was nowhere near my house so it on the side of the road out of the puddle. im getting towed to a friends tomrrow to check it out. not sure if the bypass valve was wet, didnt check. but i mean water got all up in my engine bay so im sure its wet.
Old 09-30-2010, 07:53 PM
Delta Charlie
DGAF

Delta Charlie Delta Charlie Delta Charlie Delta Charlie Delta Charlie Delta Charlie Delta Charlie Delta Charlie Delta Charlie Delta Charlie Delta Charlie

When you get it back to a garage or somewhere to work on it, pull the spark plugs and see if they are wet or if you can even visibly see water. Easy way to check to see if you hydrolocked.
Old 09-30-2010, 07:55 PM
DingleCamEf
Registered Member

Originally Posted by Delta Charlie
When you get it back to a garage or somewhere to work on it, pull the spark plugs and see if they are wet or if you can even visibly see water. Easy way to check to see if you hydrolocked.
okay i will. if i did suck water in the motor, what would have to be replaced, or how much would i have to tear the motor apart. i dont have a problem with ripping it all apart, i just dont want to know somewhat what i have to deal with
Old 09-30-2010, 08:04 PM
Mirrorimg
Registered member

Mirrorimg is a name known to allMirrorimg is a name known to allMirrorimg is a name known to allMirrorimg is a name known to allMirrorimg is a name known to allMirrorimg is a name known to all

It depends. You really wouldnt completely know without disassembling the motor.

You would have most likely bent a rod (and possibly some valves). Extreme cases would have snapped the rod and sent it through the block. A broken rod that was sent through the block would be quite obvious if you popped the hood, and you probably would have heard it.
Old 09-30-2010, 08:07 PM
DingleCamEf
Registered Member

yeah i dont think a rod went threw the block, i hoping that water just hit the battery and shorted it. cuz i still have the plastic in the fenders and a bypass valve. ill find out tomorrow.
Old 09-30-2010, 08:20 PM
patrickr86
Cool Hwhip

patrickr86 is a splendid one to beholdpatrickr86 is a splendid one to beholdpatrickr86 is a splendid one to beholdpatrickr86 is a splendid one to beholdpatrickr86 is a splendid one to beholdpatrickr86 is a splendid one to beholdpatrickr86 is a splendid one to beholdpatrickr86 is a splendid one to behold

do not try to start the motor until it is in a dry place. first take out all of your spark plugs and disable fuel/spark and crank it to get out any water that may have found it's way into your cylinders. once you are sure it is dry, check your oil for any signs of water. if all checks out you can put your plugs back in and try to crank it. when and if it starts pay close attention to the idle and sound it makes. if there is any sound or thought of a problem shut it off immediately. if not, i would still suggest you not drive it for a few. maybe just put it through a few heat cycles to monitor it.
Old 09-30-2010, 08:33 PM
Fabrik8
Racetracks

Fabrik8 Fabrik8 Fabrik8 Fabrik8 Fabrik8 Fabrik8 Fabrik8 Fabrik8 Fabrik8 Fabrik8 Fabrik8

Based on what you said about the battery, I'm assuming you just shorted out something in the electrical system. The battery might have just reacted to a short somewhere else. It must have been salt water because fresh water isn't very conductive (distilled water isn't conductive at all). An electrical system problem would definitely cause the engine to shut off though, so the problem may just be limited to that in the context of the battery failure.

Check the engine out just to be safe, because that may be the problem instead.

Before you install a new battery, check resistance between the positive and negative cables (before the battery is connected) just in case there is an electrical short somewhere. Happily, you can almost completely check out the electrical system without trying to start the engine, so you can get the electrical side of things fixed independently of checking the engine for possible hydrolocking.

Last edited by Fabrik8; 09-30-2010 at 08:36 PM.
Old 09-30-2010, 08:40 PM
DingleCamEf
Registered Member

thanks guys for the info, ill post up the news tomorrow