Notices
Tech Talk Anything technically related to your vehicle should be posted here. If you're looking to have work done, try one of the Regional Forums.

Nissan 300Z tech help

Old 01-02-2003 | 04:59 AM
91Blackbird
LV2XLR8

91Blackbird is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Nissan 300Z tech help

A buddy of mine recently bought a 1986 Nissan 300Z 3.0L N/A Automatic for 1500 bucks. It's a decent looking car, could use some paint and a new fender from water leaking into the power antenna.

I'm looking for performance stats on the car, HP/TQ stock, skidpad numbers if possible. I'm also looking for direction to take the car. It won't be staying N/A. I know the newer 300Z had a 3.0l as well, but I'm sure the engine is more modern. How hard would it be swap a newer motor with twin turbos into this car? I've heard good things about the Silvia motor in the 240sx, should that even be considered here? Are there any 6-speed transmissions that will bolt up to the newer motors?

Thanks for any help at all. I'm also looking for restoration stuff for this car as it probably needs new t-top seals and a new driver rear quarter panel.

Thanks again,

Clint
Old 01-02-2003 | 07:37 AM
Skywalker
Atheist.

Skywalker Skywalker Skywalker Skywalker Skywalker Skywalker Skywalker Skywalker Skywalker Skywalker Skywalker
Default Re: Nissan 300Z tech help

Originally posted by 91Blackbird
I'm looking for performance stats on the car, HP/TQ stock, skidpad numbers if possible. I'm also looking for direction to take the car.
www.z31.com www.z31.net
I can give you links to many Z sites (forums, parts distributors, JDM sites, etc.). Read up, read some more, then let me know if you can't find something. I'd like to help if it's for the sake of a Z.
It won't be staying N/A. I know the newer 300Z had a 3.0l as well, but I'm sure the engine is more modern. How hard would it be swap a newer motor with twin turbos into this car?
The motors are very very similar. The turbo Z31's come with a stock T3 turbo. The older Z's pull very hard when boost kicks in. You do not need twin turbos on that car. Stick with the stock engine and build it to turbo spec (don't forget the oil squirters) or buy a used Z31 turbo motor and swap. While the engine is out, replace all old and worn hoses. They are cheap and this is the best time to do it. I would replace anything else that looks old or nasty. You get 25% off OE parts from Courtesy Nissan if you tell them you are a member of www.twinturbo.net.
If you want an intercooler, you'll have to go custom as the older Z's did not have one. I suggest a brand new custom fit core or a stock Supra TT core. Don't go the junkyard route and use a Saab or Starion IC. If this is gonna be a track-only car, I wouldn't even bother with an intercooler.
I've heard good things about the Silvia motor in the 240sx, should that even be considered here?
No, it should not. Stay VG30.
Are there any 6-speed transmissions that will bolt up to the newer motors?
The only 6speed Z is the 350Z. I can't imagine any newer trannies will bolt up easily to the Z31 motor, but then again I am not sure. I wouldn't worry so much about this conversion. A 5 speed will be fine, and there are plenty of clutch and flywheel upgrades. The automatic is fun too and is very quick on the turbo Z's.
I'm also looking for restoration stuff for this car as it probably needs new t-top seals and a new driver rear quarter panel.
You need to order a Motorsport catalog for those parts. The older Z's are very prone to rust. You may want to go to a Z shop or good body shop and find out what kind of shape it is really in. Garages that restore old Z's replace pretty much the entire car with new metal.
Old 01-02-2003 | 09:53 AM
91Blackbird
LV2XLR8

I was hoping you'd find this thread, Skywalker. Thanks for the links and information. I have a lot of reading to do.

Clint
Old 01-02-2003 | 10:08 AM
Skywalker
Atheist.

Skywalker Skywalker Skywalker Skywalker Skywalker Skywalker Skywalker Skywalker Skywalker Skywalker Skywalker

No problem. Send me a PM if you think I might be able to help w/ anything. My two best friends have two NA Z31's and a 280 ZX turbo that I've been trying to get them to hook up forever. There's some cool mods you can do like swap a TB from a Sentra, or bigger injectors and air filters from other cars. Just read up and let me know what y'all are gonna do. If you decide to put on a FMIC, I can forward you a link to a Japanese company that makes a front bumper that should work OK with it.
Old 01-03-2003 | 03:48 AM
91Blackbird
LV2XLR8

Sounds great bud. I don't know how serious he will get, but I want to show him the doors that are open to him now, and try to get him into working on cars. This will be great for now, I'll be sure to PM you when he makes a move. I've already told him not to buy anything without seeing me first
Old 01-03-2003 | 03:50 AM
Skywalker
Atheist.

Is it a race car or his daily driver or what? For @ $3K he could have one fast car at the track or one sweet ass street car (depending on body condition).
Old 01-03-2003 | 10:27 AM
91Blackbird
LV2XLR8

He wants to turn it into a hot street car. The body condition is generally decent. Only the driver rear quarterpanel needs to be replaced. I only glanced at it though. Needs paint and some wheels as well .

Clint
Old 01-03-2003 | 10:44 AM
Skywalker
Atheist.

When he comes up with some ideas, let me know. I'll help you fine tune them. Make sure he doesn't buy on impulse. Always research; and search the web for parts; I run into all kinds of unique shit for Z's (lots of cool stuff in Japan and Australia).
Old 01-03-2003 | 10:50 AM
91Blackbird
LV2XLR8

Sweet. Will do. He was looking at a Mustang the other day, and we happened to see him so we stopped and looked at it. They wanted a good bit for the car... It was nice save for it had been hit before. I think that a 300ZX buildup would be pretty interesting anyhow. He loves the way the car corners .

He's going to be going through a crash course in the Z with everything you've given me to throw at him. Hopefully he'll register here and say hello. That way you can take him under your wing and help him directly .

Thanks again Skywalker...

Going to have to meet you one of these days. I'd love to take a look at your car and what you've done with it. I'd like to know how the ride feels compared to my SS. I bet she turns well
Old 01-03-2003 | 11:58 AM
Skywalker
Atheist.

LOL. I take turns very slowly. That's all I'm saying about that. I'll be in the area soon to pick up my turbo timer. Hopefully I'll have a new transmission (that works properly) by then.

Quick Reply: Nissan 300Z tech help