Notices
Tech Talk Anything technically related to your vehicle should be posted here. If you're looking to have work done, try one of the Regional Forums.

Wont start, slight oil leak

Old 01-27-2011, 04:50 PM
Garrett93
Hellafunctional

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Garrett93 Garrett93 Garrett93 Garrett93 Garrett93 Garrett93 Garrett93 Garrett93 Garrett93 Garrett93 Garrett93
Default Wont start, slight oil leak

Okay so my brother just bought a built b18c5 bottom with a fully built b16a2 head. It started fine and drove fine when i got it but when i took it home it wouldnt start the next day. I have tried numerous times, i just changed the spark plugs, put octane booster, and even tried to jump it. When i try and start it, it keeps cranking but wont turn over... the lights flicker and it just seems like it doesnt have enought power to start it. A day before this happened my brother put 89 in it, but the next day i put 93 to fill the other half of the tank. Also i pushed it back a little today and their was a puddle of dark oil. But not too much. Any info would be much appreciated, thanks in advance guys

VIDEO- View My Video

Last edited by Garrett93; 01-30-2011 at 05:01 AM.
Old 01-27-2011, 04:53 PM
nftuatn
baller/dickbutt#69

nftuatn nftuatn nftuatn nftuatn nftuatn nftuatn nftuatn nftuatn nftuatn nftuatn nftuatn
Default Re: Wont start, slight oil leak

Originally Posted by Garrett93
Okay so my brother just bought a built b18c5 bottom with a fully built b16a2 head. It started fine and drove fine when i got it but when i took it home it wouldnt start the next day. I have tried numerous times, i just changed the spark plugs, put octane booster, and even tried to jump it. When i try and start it clicks but wont turn over... the lights flicker and it just seems like it doesnt have enought power to start it. A day before this happened my brother put 89 in it, but the next day i put 93 to fill the other half of the tank. Also i pushed it back a little today and their was a puddle of dark oil. But not too much. Any info would be much appreciated, thanks in advance guys
so its not cranking over...it has to do that in order to start...it sounds like a dead spot in the starter motor...try having someone turn the key while you tap the starter with a hammer,if it starts then replace the starter...
Old 01-27-2011, 04:54 PM
nftuatn
baller/dickbutt#69

nftuatn nftuatn nftuatn nftuatn nftuatn nftuatn nftuatn nftuatn nftuatn nftuatn nftuatn

and why would changing the plugs and putting octane booster in it help it crank over?????
Old 01-27-2011, 04:59 PM
NasTHatch
RIP DRAGVA-2016

NasTHatch NasTHatch NasTHatch NasTHatch NasTHatch NasTHatch NasTHatch NasTHatch NasTHatch NasTHatch NasTHatch

Originally Posted by nftuatn
so its not cranking over...it has to do that in order to start...it sounds like a dead spot in the starter motor...try having someone turn the key while you tap the starter with a hammer,if it starts then replace the starter...
this
Old 01-27-2011, 05:14 PM
Garrett93
Hellafunctional

Garrett93 Garrett93 Garrett93 Garrett93 Garrett93 Garrett93 Garrett93 Garrett93 Garrett93 Garrett93 Garrett93

i just replaced those because the previous owner told me to replace all of that and that it needed to run on 93 or higher
Old 01-27-2011, 05:16 PM
boredom
management

boredom boredom boredom boredom boredom boredom boredom boredom boredom boredom boredom

wow, you seem pretty lost to be the owner of someone's project car
Old 01-27-2011, 05:17 PM
nftuatn
baller/dickbutt#69

just do what i said with the starter...and if it cranks then replace it
Old 01-27-2011, 05:17 PM
Garrett93
Hellafunctional

alright just went outside, tried tapping it with a hammer while he started it... no good. any other ideas?
Old 01-27-2011, 05:20 PM
nftuatn
baller/dickbutt#69

is it just clicking? did you SMACK the starter with the hammer or tapped it....sometimes you have to smack them hard...

make sure he has the key turned all the way like he is trying to start it while you smack it...
Old 01-27-2011, 05:21 PM
boredom
management

boredom boredom boredom boredom boredom boredom boredom boredom boredom boredom boredom

was there someone turning the key? if not id still replace the starter since that seems to be your issue. (are you getting fuel?)

Quick Reply: Wont start, slight oil leak