Notices
Tech Talk Anything technically related to your vehicle should be posted here. If you're looking to have work done, try one of the Regional Forums.

92 integra b18b no start, no turn over problem... ive done it all.

Old 07-20-2011, 07:15 AM
92teggin
Registered Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
92teggin has disabled reputation
Default 92 integra b18b no start, no turn over problem... ive done it all.

Alright so, left work yesterday and my integra wouldnt turn over, like a dead key. doesnt sound like the fuel pump was priming so i replaced the main relay.. didnt solve anything. so i replaced the ignition switch, didnt solve anything, got the startor and alt checked along with the battery.. all passed. i tested the clutch switch as well. i called delray acura, and the guy just blew me off. so im lost. anyone have had this problem? anyone with ideas, let me know thanks for your time
god bless
Old 07-20-2011, 08:14 AM
Fabrik8
Racetracks

Fabrik8 Fabrik8 Fabrik8 Fabrik8 Fabrik8 Fabrik8 Fabrik8 Fabrik8 Fabrik8 Fabrik8 Fabrik8
Default Re: 92 integra b18b no start, no turn over problem... ive done it all.

Check the main power connection between the battery and the underhood fuse block, and also check the ground between the chassis and battery. You'll need to do this with a multimeter, because you can't do electrical troubleshooting with your eyes. You'll be looking for a lot of voltage drop between the component at either end of the cable, which is usually a symptom of corrosion at a connection point or something like a broken battery terminal clamp.
Old 07-20-2011, 08:27 AM
92teggin
Registered Member

i understand that, and a multi meter is what ive been using.... so if i should get battery voltage to the underhood fuse box, how much should be leaving?
Old 07-20-2011, 08:38 AM
Fabrik8
Racetracks

Fabrik8 Fabrik8 Fabrik8 Fabrik8 Fabrik8 Fabrik8 Fabrik8 Fabrik8 Fabrik8 Fabrik8 Fabrik8

It should be almost the same as the battery if everything is working properly. Get a friend to try and start the car, and observe what happens to the voltage. If you have a connection with decent resistance (which it shouldn't have), Ohm's law says that the voltage drop is equal to the resistance multiplied by the current flowing through it. So you might not see a noticeable voltage drop if there is no current flowing, which is why it is important to test while you are trying to start it, etc. While trying to start it, you might suddenly see a voltage drop of a few volts or more where there was no voltage drop before. That's what you're looking for to indicate a problem.

By the way, you should be testing the ground connections the same way. If there is ground corrosion, you can easily see a few volts across the ends of a ground cable, so you may have a completely different battery voltage referenced to the engine block than you do when referenced to the negative battery terminal. When there is corrosion, ground is not always ground. That creates problems like you're seeing.

Last edited by Fabrik8; 07-20-2011 at 08:42 AM.
Old 07-20-2011, 08:40 AM
92teggin
Registered Member

and that would be bad correct?
thanks for the help brother, gonna try this out
Old 07-20-2011, 09:30 AM
Laserjock
Stiff Member

Laserjock Laserjock Laserjock Laserjock Laserjock Laserjock Laserjock Laserjock Laserjock Laserjock Laserjock

Have you tried getting a jump from another running vehicle?

Or google up "B.I.W.P." starting method. I'll explain later
Old 07-20-2011, 10:03 AM
92teggin
Registered Member

okay so battery voltage is coming out of the fuse box and entering. i removed the seats to have a look at the fuel pump. which is not making any noise when i alternate the key btw. and my schematic shows two wires going to pump. but really there is three. one is ground. one gets about 12.3 volts and the other gets about 6. prove anything?
Old 07-20-2011, 11:22 AM
Fabrik8
Racetracks

One wire is probably the sending unit for the fuel level.

So there's 12.3V getting to the pump, and it isn't running? Find out which wire is which with your schematics, so you can see what you're looking for. I would look elsewhere though, because if the engine is not cranking at all then the fuel pump is not the problem.
Old 07-20-2011, 11:39 AM
92teggin
Registered Member

thats what ive been telling everyone, who ive talked too. im looking for a starter relay now
Old 07-20-2011, 11:48 AM
Fabrik8
Racetracks

Don't buy a starter relay. Grab a multimeter and TEST to see if the existing relay is working properly. The huge problem is that no one wants to take the time for troubleshooting and would rather just put a bunch of new parts in a cannon and fire them at the car to see if any of them fix it. You could replace parts all day long and still find out you have a ground problem which no amount of new parts would fix. You've replaced the working main relay, replaced the working ignition switch, and now you want to replace more parts that you aren't sure are actually faulty. I'm glad I'm not paying you to fix my car, because I'd be poor and my car would still be broken. Don't think of that as an insult, think of that as a wakeup call to change the way you're trying to solve your problem.

You obviously know how to replace a starter relay and must have learned how to do that at some point, now learn how to troubleshoot a basic electrical problem.

Last edited by Fabrik8; 07-20-2011 at 11:55 AM.

Quick Reply: 92 integra b18b no start, no turn over problem... ive done it all.