Notices
Tech Talk Anything technically related to your vehicle should be posted here. If you're looking to have work done, try one of the Regional Forums.

preludes and boost...how do they mix?

Old 02-03-2004, 07:48 PM
RIP 240DL
99 DiabloGT

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
RIP 240DL has disabled reputation
Default preludes and boost...how do they mix?

i found a 97 prelude with a turbonetics turbo kit for sale and 119k miles for $8900.....anyone have any opinions? thanks
Old 02-03-2004, 07:53 PM
LudeDude98
Smee

LudeDude98 LudeDude98 LudeDude98 LudeDude98
Default Re: preludes and boost...how do they mix?

have you driven it yet?
Old 02-03-2004, 08:03 PM
RIP 240DL
99 DiabloGT

RIP 240DL has disabled reputation

not yet.....i just saw it for sale and would like to go take it for a spin
i heard something about vtec canceling out turbos
Old 02-03-2004, 08:16 PM
LudeDude98
Smee

LudeDude98 LudeDude98 LudeDude98 LudeDude98

im not going to act like i know about turbo's on h22's, what i do know is they are very risky if you dont know what your doing, so the only advice i could give you is to test drive it first, make sure things are running smoothly
Old 02-04-2004, 10:37 AM
Enigma

Enigma Enigma Enigma Enigma Enigma Enigma Enigma Enigma Enigma Enigma Enigma

H22's don't have strong enough valves to take much pressure. Definitely need a controler for the turbo/ecu. I wouldn't do it with out some serious head work done, for safety.
Old 02-04-2004, 11:02 AM
chidoks

chidoks is an unknown quantity at this point

dont post if u arent sure of what u are talking about.... h22's dont really like boost... very weak ringlands... for u to boost an h series, it has to be tuned perfectly and just hope luck is on your side...

Originally Posted by six out 6
H22's don't have strong enough valves to take much pressure. Definitely need a controler for the turbo/ecu. I wouldn't do it with out some serious head work done, for safety.
Old 02-04-2004, 11:05 AM
Enigma

Enigma Enigma Enigma Enigma Enigma Enigma Enigma Enigma Enigma Enigma Enigma

Originally Posted by chidoks
dont post if u arent sure of what u are talking about.... h22's dont really like boost... very weak ringlands... for u to boost an h series, it has to be tuned perfectly and just hope luck is on your side...

Damn, does everyone have sandy vaginas today? You didn't say anything different than I did, douche.

EDIT: Sorry for jacking on your thread.. I'm done.

Last edited by six out 6; 02-04-2004 at 11:11 AM.
Old 02-04-2004, 02:10 PM
chidoks

chidoks is an unknown quantity at this point

H22's dont need headwork to run boost... The valves are plenty strong.. In all my years of working on them, i havent run into one with a broken valvetrain... headwork has nothing to do with running boost... Its the block that needs the work.. Sleeves can take the boost but the ringlands on the pistons cant take the boost... We did not say the same thing... Ringlands and valves are two different things...

Originally Posted by six out 6
Damn, does everyone have sandy vaginas today? You didn't say anything different than I did, douche.

EDIT: Sorry for jacking on your thread.. I'm done.
Old 02-04-2004, 05:39 PM
gen4H22A
BOXIN YOU

gen4H22A is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by chidoks
H22's dont need headwork to run boost... The valves are plenty strong.. In all my years of working on them, i havent run into one with a broken valvetrain... headwork has nothing to do with running boost... Its the block that needs the work.. Sleeves can take the boost but the ringlands on the pistons cant take the boost... We did not say the same thing... Ringlands and valves are two different things...

True in the idea that h22's do not need headwork done to run boost, but if you want top run over 8 psi daily it is of your best interests to upgrade your retainers and springs....h22 internals are not necessarily the strongest in the world especially when it comes to boosting the engine, but the biggest problem seen by turbod h22's is tearing up the piston ringlands...

Now to the guy who asked about h22's and turboing them...the kit u described in most cases does not come with proper fuel sysem as well as a decent engine management system to maintain a turbo'd h22...sure u can buy the car, but if the boost is above 4 psi and is running a fmu with no fuel upgrades u better turn the boost down because u should run 4 psi max with no fuel upgrades....get yourself a good fuel rail, fuel pressure regulator, better flowing injectors (ie. dsm 450's) and a good fuel pump, and to manage the fuel system trade in the fmu, it sucks, either get a vafc or save up to get hondata....with proper fuel management systems you can run up to 7 or 8 psi daily driven safely, as long as it is tuned well, dont ever think boosting h22's is bad, as long as u put the right amount of time money and effort into it, then it will be fine

Last edited by gen4H22A; 02-04-2004 at 05:42 PM.