Notices
Tech Talk Anything technically related to your vehicle should be posted here. If you're looking to have work done, try one of the Regional Forums.

2000 honda civic si breaking up

Old 09-08-2011, 09:35 AM
1freshsi
Registered Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
1freshsi has a reputation beyond repute1freshsi has a reputation beyond repute1freshsi has a reputation beyond repute1freshsi has a reputation beyond repute1freshsi has a reputation beyond repute1freshsi has a reputation beyond repute1freshsi has a reputation beyond repute1freshsi has a reputation beyond repute1freshsi has a reputation beyond repute1freshsi has a reputation beyond repute1freshsi has a reputation beyond repute
Default 2000 honda civic si breaking up

Ok guys, here is the deal. I'm driving a 2000 honda civic si with a b18c-R swap. Under normal driving(meaning not ripping it) it will break up and kind of sputter until I give it more throttle then its back to normal. When ever I'm "riping it" its fine. The swap is fresh got it in november 2010. Before thought it might be from not getting spark. So it has new plugs,wires, rotor button and cap. I might answer my own question with this. It has done it before the swap when the car was stock just not as often. The only thing I didnt get around to replacing is the fuel pump. Any suggestions? Just tired of playing guess and check and spending tons of money. Trying to get rid of the car before 9/21. Just would like to have a better idea of what could be this problem before the sale. Thanks in advance

Update: New MAP sensor and nothing

Last edited by 1freshsi; 09-18-2011 at 06:36 PM.
Old 09-08-2011, 09:47 AM
slow97DSM
Registered Member

slow97DSM slow97DSM slow97DSM slow97DSM slow97DSM slow97DSM slow97DSM slow97DSM slow97DSM slow97DSM slow97DSM
Default Re: 2000 honda civic si breaking up

Can you hear me now?
Old 09-08-2011, 09:47 AM
Gen_Crunchytoes
i pooped a squirrel

Gen_Crunchytoes Gen_Crunchytoes Gen_Crunchytoes Gen_Crunchytoes Gen_Crunchytoes Gen_Crunchytoes Gen_Crunchytoes Gen_Crunchytoes Gen_Crunchytoes Gen_Crunchytoes Gen_Crunchytoes

Make sure you're plugs are gapped properly, it also can't hurt to pull them and make sure they aren't fouled. Go over the plug wires and look for any splitting in the cover. Listen for any whining coming from the fuel pump when the car is running, if you hear anything the pump is on its way out.

Don't get the pump priming confused with an abnormal whining. You can hear the pump prime if you turn the key to on and listen for about 3 seconds
Old 09-08-2011, 09:59 AM
1freshsi
Registered Member

1freshsi has a reputation beyond repute1freshsi has a reputation beyond repute1freshsi has a reputation beyond repute1freshsi has a reputation beyond repute1freshsi has a reputation beyond repute1freshsi has a reputation beyond repute1freshsi has a reputation beyond repute1freshsi has a reputation beyond repute1freshsi has a reputation beyond repute1freshsi has a reputation beyond repute1freshsi has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Crnchy wen Blac
Make sure you're plugs are gapped properly, it also can't hurt to pull them and make sure they aren't fouled. Go over the plug wires and look for any splitting in the cover. Listen for any whining coming from the fuel pump when the car is running, if you hear anything the pump is on its way out.

Don't get the pump priming confused with an abnormal whining. You can hear the pump prime if you turn the key to on and listen for about 3 seconds
Thanks mike. I'll have to check that out once I get out of this hell hole of a job.
Old 09-08-2011, 10:32 AM
Gen_Crunchytoes
i pooped a squirrel

Gen_Crunchytoes Gen_Crunchytoes Gen_Crunchytoes Gen_Crunchytoes Gen_Crunchytoes Gen_Crunchytoes Gen_Crunchytoes Gen_Crunchytoes Gen_Crunchytoes Gen_Crunchytoes Gen_Crunchytoes

Lol. Hit me up if you want a second eye
Old 09-08-2011, 10:47 AM
1freshsi
Registered Member

Originally Posted by Crnchy wen Blac
Lol. Hit me up if you want a second eye
Thanks man. Prob will do.
Old 09-08-2011, 11:05 AM
H22PwrdInspire
H Tweezy

H22PwrdInspire is on a distinguished road

I have seen bad igniters also cause spark to break up. I really wouldn't condemn the fuel pump, not really a "common" honda problem.
Old 09-08-2011, 11:07 AM
1freshsi
Registered Member

Originally Posted by H22PwrdInspire
I have seen bad igniters also cause spark to break up. I really wouldn't condemn the fuel pump, not really a "common" honda problem.
Thanks man.
Old 09-08-2011, 12:48 PM
Jarrod
braap braap

Jarrod Jarrod Jarrod Jarrod Jarrod Jarrod Jarrod Jarrod Jarrod Jarrod Jarrod

Originally Posted by H22PwrdInspire
This.

Also, check the timing and also pop the rotor cap off and see if the screw is still on the actual rotor-button. I've seen this cause it to run funny.
Old 09-08-2011, 12:49 PM
1freshsi
Registered Member

Originally Posted by Jarrod
This.

Also, check the timing and also pop the rotor cap off and see if the screw is still on the actual rotor-button. I've seen this cause it to run funny.
Will check all of the above. Thanks for all the help guys. At least it does not seem to be costly.