Notices
Tech Talk Anything technically related to your vehicle should be posted here. If you're looking to have work done, try one of the Regional Forums.

97 honda civic cranks, wont start- no fuel pulse, no fuel pressure, and no spark

Old 09-25-2011, 06:29 PM
AaronDavis
AaronDavis

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
AaronDavis AaronDavis AaronDavis AaronDavis AaronDavis AaronDavis AaronDavis AaronDavis AaronDavis AaronDavis AaronDavis
Default 97 honda civic cranks, wont start- no fuel pulse, no fuel pressure, and no spark

Hello,

I want to say thanks in advance for any help or advise given.

I bought a 97 civic ex 4 door that had a b16 swapped. 5 speed transmission, 0bd1 computer, obd2a engine harness with jumper. I already had a 99 civic dx hatchback with a d16y7 in it. completely stock. I wanted to swap engines between the car. I pulled the b16 with tranny, harness, ecu, axles, etc. and pulled the same from the hatchback. I put the d16, automatic transmission, shifter, pedal assembly, engine harness, ecu, axles, and such into the 97 and noticed there was a plug to the ecu missing, but it started and ran, shifted and all just fine BUT the speedo, odometer, tach, cooling fan, and communication with dlc did not work(probably more but thats what I noticed). I did some research and found that the obd2a cars had the missing plug as part of the engine harness and the obd2b cars had it as part of the main harness that runs through the dash. I ordered an engine harness from a 97 civic dx auto and all plugs were there, everything went in and connected perfectly except the distributor. researched some more and found 96-98 distributor is different than the 99-00 distributor. I got a distributor and now the car wont start. It has no spark, no fuel injector pulse, and no fuel pressure. I saw that the cylinder position sensor, crankshaft postition sensor, and top dead center position sensor is in the distributor, which I assume is what decideds when to spark and when to pulse. I have not tried another ecu yet but I read that the p2e is for 96-00 so I didnt think it would change anything. The distributor does have power to it on the ignition input signal wire (think black/yellow wire)

The car still wont start. Im going crazy trying to figure this out.

PLEASE HELP!

Thanks again very much,
Aaron
Old 09-27-2011, 06:53 AM
JustaGSR18
I <3 MY EG

JustaGSR18 has disabled reputation
Default Re: 97 honda civic cranks, wont start- no fuel pulse, no fuel pressure, and no spark

sounds like the ecu does not have power
Old 09-27-2011, 09:14 AM
EGh22
Registered Member

EGh22 has disabled reputation
Default Re: 97 honda civic cranks, wont start- no fuel pulse, no fuel pressure, and no spark

Check your grounds. More specifically your ecu ground. Ecu ground is usually located on the thermostat housing but in my case the ground was connected but there was a break in the wire so I cut a slit into the ground wire (for obd1 its pinout 23/24) and grounded it straight to the chasis. Also, find out which pin is for your distributor and make sure the wire is plugged all the way into the ecu.
Old 09-27-2011, 12:18 PM
::ek4::
Free Candy

::ek4:: ::ek4:: ::ek4:: ::ek4:: ::ek4:: ::ek4:: ::ek4:: ::ek4:: ::ek4:: ::ek4:: ::ek4::

It is definitely the grounds on your ECU. Also try to use another ecu and see if that makes a difference at all.
Old 09-27-2011, 04:57 PM
B-Well
I Love to Hate

B-Well B-Well B-Well B-Well B-Well B-Well B-Well B-Well B-Well B-Well B-Well

PM me and ill take a look at it tomorrow. i have the day off and ill be bored now that my kart is finished
Old 09-28-2011, 02:39 PM
AaronDavis
AaronDavis

AaronDavis AaronDavis AaronDavis AaronDavis AaronDavis AaronDavis AaronDavis AaronDavis AaronDavis AaronDavis AaronDavis

Hey sorry guys, I got it figured out. The source I got my ecu info from was wrong. P2e is the code for obd2a and obd2b civic dx automatic but they are different. I got an obd2a ecu and it started and ran perfectly. thanks for the help everybody.
Old 09-28-2011, 07:59 PM
Fabrik8
Racetracks

Fabrik8 Fabrik8 Fabrik8 Fabrik8 Fabrik8 Fabrik8 Fabrik8 Fabrik8 Fabrik8 Fabrik8 Fabrik8

Originally Posted by ::ek4::
It is definitely the grounds on your ECU.
It was definitely the ECU grounds.
Old 09-29-2011, 09:49 AM
AaronDavis
AaronDavis

^ haha. he probably had a similar problem that was fixed by that