Notices
Tech Talk Anything technically related to your vehicle should be posted here. If you're looking to have work done, try one of the Regional Forums.

95 Civic will not start.

Old 10-23-2011, 10:02 PM
hiyoLS
Registered Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
hiyoLS hiyoLS hiyoLS hiyoLS hiyoLS hiyoLS hiyoLS hiyoLS hiyoLS hiyoLS hiyoLS
Default 95 Civic will not start.

I've looked pretty much everywhere and can't seem to find anything applicable to my direct situation so I figured I'd ask to see if anyone has ever had a similar problem.

Put the key in turn over fuel pump primes, go to start does absolutely nothing does not turn over, starter makes no noise, fuel pump kicks on but nothing. Car can be bump started and runs fine but something is draining heavily on the battery, check alternator it's pulling 14v so it's not the problem BRAND new battery, also not the issue i've pretty much narrowed it down to a ground or a fuse, but this still doesn't explain in my opinion what is pulling on the battery so hard.

Any constructive ideas would be greatly appreciated.
Old 10-24-2011, 05:35 AM
Irhodes14
Registered Member

Irhodes14 has disabled reputation
Default Re: 95 Civic will not start.

if your fuel pump primes its not the battery. check signal going to the starter maybe?
Old 10-24-2011, 01:33 PM
Fabrik8
Racetracks

Fabrik8 Fabrik8 Fabrik8 Fabrik8 Fabrik8 Fabrik8 Fabrik8 Fabrik8 Fabrik8 Fabrik8 Fabrik8

Why do you think something is draining the battery? What is the battery voltage (at the battery terminals), and what is the battery voltage (at the battery terminals) while the car is running?

It sounds like you might have something as simple as a broken battery terminal clamp or a bad ground. Something is preventing enough current from getting to the starter solenoid and the starter motor, but enough current to prime the fuel pump. I've had a few cars with the same problem but different causes. They were all really easy fixes with a few minutes of troubleshooting using a multimeter.

Or you just have a blown fuse or fusible link.
Old 10-24-2011, 04:16 PM
hiyoLS
Registered Member

hiyoLS hiyoLS hiyoLS hiyoLS hiyoLS hiyoLS hiyoLS hiyoLS hiyoLS hiyoLS hiyoLS

Originally Posted by Fabrik8
Why do you think something is draining the battery? What is the battery voltage (at the battery terminals), and what is the battery voltage (at the battery terminals) while the car is running?
After bump starting it I drove it to my friends house, to check it out. When I was leaving his house (left the car running while I was there) the cluster stopped working and the headlights/dash lights got really dim.
Old 10-24-2011, 04:34 PM
Fabrik8
Racetracks

Fabrik8 Fabrik8 Fabrik8 Fabrik8 Fabrik8 Fabrik8 Fabrik8 Fabrik8 Fabrik8 Fabrik8 Fabrik8

Originally Posted by hiyoLS
After bump starting it I drove it to my friends house, to check it out. When I was leaving his house (left the car running while I was there) the cluster stopped working and the headlights/dash lights got really dim.
So you don't actually know that anything's wrong with the battery, only that there is something affecting things connected to the battery. Chances are good that there is nothing physically wrong with the battery and whatever is causing a current bottleneck to the starter is also causing problems with keeping the battery charged properly. Grab a multimeter and start troubleshooting, and if you don't know how to use a multimeter then you should find a friend who does.