Notices
757 The 757 forum. Introductions and regional topics go here.

Let Me Borrow Your EP3 Civic

Old 11-21-2011, 05:36 AM
lbs_ft
YANKYMATE!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
lbs_ft lbs_ft lbs_ft lbs_ft lbs_ft lbs_ft lbs_ft lbs_ft lbs_ft lbs_ft lbs_ft
Exclamation Let Me Borrow Your EP3 Civic

The story: My little brother's EP3 Civic threw a code and put itself in limp mode two weeks ago and my dad and I are working to find the problem and fix it. We've traced the code and followed every writeup and step-by-step process outlined on the forums, FSM and Chilton/Haynes. Tested resistance on sensors, replaced solenoids, cleared the code a million times, but it comes back every time without fail. The last step outlined in every instance is to replace the factory ECM, which a non-refundable $300-$400 part. Ouch.

Here's the plan: we pay you to bring your EP3 to us, cover gas and expenses and all that, then we feed you beer and/or burgers and such while we swap out our potentially-scrap ECM with yours. We know how to do it, just drop the glovebox and remove 2 10mil bolts, easy breezy. We just want to make sure that that IS the problem before dropping that money on a new one from Honda. We're very professional, we won't mess up your car or get it dirty, and it won't take but half an hour at max. No harm will come to your ECM, and on the impossible instance that it does, we'll replace it ASAP no questions asked. Honestly, we just want to be positive that the ECM is where our problem lies before spending the money to replace it.

Let me know if you'd be down for helping a fellow enthusiast out and we'll start planning from there. Thanks in advance!
Old 11-21-2011, 05:41 AM
BAN HAMMER
NAZI mod

BAN HAMMER BAN HAMMER BAN HAMMER BAN HAMMER BAN HAMMER BAN HAMMER BAN HAMMER BAN HAMMER BAN HAMMER BAN HAMMER BAN HAMMER
Default Re: Let Me Borrow Your EP3 Civic

how about I blast you with piss instead and you feed me beer and burgers?
Old 11-21-2011, 05:55 AM
SortaFlush
Slammedxpert

SortaFlush SortaFlush SortaFlush SortaFlush SortaFlush SortaFlush SortaFlush SortaFlush SortaFlush SortaFlush SortaFlush

Just an FYI,

this is kind of a half ass diagnostic, Trace. Only due to, once the ECM is removed it loses memory. If the code is in fact, not ECM related it was just cleared completely by switching computers it could take a couple drive cycles to come back. You need to do some more pinout tests as well on the "faulted" circuit to make sure its not a ground/power/signal issue. ECM's rarely fail, I always hate condemming a computer (same reason you do...$300+ potential mistake). Message me the code, year make and model.
Old 11-21-2011, 05:58 AM
Dough_Boy.
Registered Member

Dough_Boy. Dough_Boy. Dough_Boy. Dough_Boy. Dough_Boy. Dough_Boy. Dough_Boy. Dough_Boy. Dough_Boy. Dough_Boy. Dough_Boy.

What code is it?
Old 11-21-2011, 06:02 AM
Fobby
Classified Moderator

Fobby Fobby Fobby Fobby Fobby Fobby Fobby Fobby Fobby Fobby Fobby

PM Gene.
Old 11-21-2011, 06:09 AM
lbs_ft
YANKYMATE!

Originally Posted by DonkeyPunch
how about I blast you with piss instead and you feed me beer and burgers?
Consider it done.

Originally Posted by SortaFlush
Just an FYI,

this is kind of a half ass diagnostic, Trace. Only due to, once the ECM is removed it loses memory. If the code is in fact, not ECM related it was just cleared completely by switching computers it could take a couple drive cycles to come back. You need to do some more pinout tests as well on the "faulted" circuit to make sure its not a ground/power/signal issue. ECM's rarely fail, I always hate condemming a computer (same reason you do...$300+ potential mistake). Message me the code, year make and model.
Originally Posted by Cindy_Lou_Who
What code is it?
I hate it too, but this fucking thing has a hundred sensors so I'm at a loss. I know computers don't go bad and it doesn't make sense that it would clear then come back if the ECM was truly at fault, but I don't know what else to do. Last ditch effort, basically.

It's a 2004 EP3 Civic Si, code P0341.

Originally Posted by Fobby
PM Gene.
Thanks, will do.

Any and all help would be appreciated guys
Old 11-21-2011, 06:15 AM
Dough_Boy.
Registered Member

Dough_Boy. Dough_Boy. Dough_Boy. Dough_Boy. Dough_Boy. Dough_Boy. Dough_Boy. Dough_Boy. Dough_Boy. Dough_Boy. Dough_Boy.

This is from alldata. I'm sure you looked at the same thing, but did you check these.

DTC P0341:VTC Phase Gap

1. Reset the ECM.
2. Start the engine

Is DTC P0341 indicated?

YES - Go to step 3.

NO - Intermittent failure, system is OK at this time. Check for poor connections or loose terminals at CMP sensor A and at the ECM.

3. Check the VTC oil control solenoid valve.

Is the VTC oil control solenoid valve OK?

YES - Go to step 4.

NO - Clean the VTC oil control solenoid valve, or replace it.

4. Remove the head cover, and check the cam chain.

Is the cam chain OK?

YES - Go to step 5.

NO - Replace the cam chain.

5. Check the VTC actuator.

Is the VTC actuator OK?

YES - Update the ECM if it does not have the latest software, or substitute a known-good ECM, then recheck. If the symptom/indication goes away with a known-good ECM, replace the original ECM.

NO - Replace the VTC actuator.
Old 11-21-2011, 06:22 AM
Blue2turbo
Registered member

Blue2turbo Blue2turbo Blue2turbo Blue2turbo Blue2turbo Blue2turbo Blue2turbo Blue2turbo Blue2turbo Blue2turbo Blue2turbo

I just sold my 04' EP3 or I would assist, but the problem you may run into is that the ECM is programmed to each key. When I bought my car it came with a Hondata reflash that required 93 pumpgas, I was working on getting rid of it and trading ECM's with another owner, but it came down to, we would have to have the replacement reprogrammed at the dealer to work with the "new" ECM.

As far as I read from the EPhatch board and forums.clubep3 is swapping ECM's isn't as easy as unplugging one, plugging in a new one. Not to say you haven't already looked into that, but it may not be that simple.

I will get in contact with the guy who bought mine, since he's a buddy and see if he's up for helping at all.

Last edited by Blue2turbo; 11-21-2011 at 06:25 AM.
Old 11-21-2011, 06:34 AM
lbs_ft
YANKYMATE!

Here's what's been done so far.

Replaced Cam Position Sensors, A & B.
Checked VTC Oil Control Solenoid (resistance, cleaned, hooked to battery and it operates correctly)
Check resistance on VTEC Solenoid, to spec
Set to TDC and removed valve cover, cams and chain are to spec and perfectly lined up and timed correctly
Last thing to do on every writeup is to replace the ECM with a known working one

So that's why I'm here. I'm sure you can understand why this is stressing me out and being a major pain in my ass.
Old 11-21-2011, 06:36 AM
Dough_Boy.
Registered Member

Originally Posted by lbs_ft
Here's what's been done so far.

Replaced Cam Position Sensors, A & B.
Checked VTC Oil Control Solenoid (resistance, cleaned, hooked to battery and it operates correctly)
Check resistance on VTEC Solenoid, to spec
Set to TDC and removed valve cover, cams and chain are to spec and perfectly lined up and timed correctly
Last thing to do on every writeup is to replace the ECM with a known working one

So that's why I'm here. I'm sure you can understand why this is stressing me out and being a major pain in my ass.

Oh yea, i've been there. Had a dodge last week with 31 codes. If I had a computer laying around i'd snag it for you. Hope everything works out well and you get it going.

Quick Reply: Let Me Borrow Your EP3 Civic