Notices
Cycle Corner Running with two less wheels than everyone else? This forum is for you.

Electrical issue

Old 12-17-2011, 03:48 AM
JamesPrelude
FUCK!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
JamesPrelude JamesPrelude JamesPrelude JamesPrelude JamesPrelude JamesPrelude JamesPrelude JamesPrelude JamesPrelude JamesPrelude JamesPrelude
Default Electrical issue

I ride an 05 kawi zx6. For the past two months I've been having problems starting the bike. When I'd go to turn it on, it would make a clicking noise as if the battery were dead; I'd jump it, and it would run fine. I thought this reoccurring issue might be because I never really rode far, I live in a small town, and with finals I was riding less and less. So yesterday I jumped the bike, took a 30 min ride, then went back in town to get something to eat. Came back out, bike woulden't start. I thought then it might be the alternator/stator. So I get a jump, and something new happens. As soon as I disconnect from my friends battery, the bikes display and tach go nuts; blinking on and off and revving slightly (beyond normal start up idle). But, as soon as I reattached the jumper cables, it ran smoothly again. Got the battery out and charged it at an advanced auto, and it did the same thing. They told me there that the bat had charged to 14, to which I answered "14 what? It's a 12 volt battery". The guy didn't have a clue and said the machine just read out 14. Put the battery back in, wouldn't start, but the display was reading. Jumped the bike, and as soon as the cables were disconnected it started going haywire again. Going to get the battery checked today if I can. But if you guys have any advice it would be much appreciated.
Footnotes:
Bike won't start without a jump
Might be the battery, fuses, or stator
When running, display goes haywire and bike won't idle right unless plugged to another battery via jumper cables.
Old 12-17-2011, 10:46 AM
Dubee88
TonzAGunz

Dubee88 Dubee88 Dubee88 Dubee88 Dubee88 Dubee88 Dubee88 Dubee88 Dubee88 Dubee88 Dubee88
Default Re: Electrical issue

battery reading 14 isnt that big of a deal...at idle your operating voltage can be anywhere from 12 to 14.4, thats totally normal.

check the stator for sure, if its not charging then youre just running off whatever current the battery has in it after a jump.

if the stator is the problem, that means that your battery will end up running at a lower and lower voltage. the fact that your indicators and tach go crazy could be due to low voltage. could also be due to voltage spikes. if the battery is in good shape then most likely your charging system is the culprit
Old 12-20-2011, 06:39 PM
JamesPrelude
FUCK!

JamesPrelude JamesPrelude JamesPrelude JamesPrelude JamesPrelude JamesPrelude JamesPrelude JamesPrelude JamesPrelude JamesPrelude JamesPrelude
Default Re: Electrical issue

I've charged and changed the battery, and here's a video of what happens.
http://tinypic.com/player.php?v=2gukwu9&s=5 After the bike wouldn't start, I hooked it up to my car to give it a jump, and here's a video of that as well.
http://tinypic.com/player.php?v=k0ikis&s=5 What it sounds like to me is that there is a relay that's gone bad. I'm guessing that is what the clicking noise is. As it shows in the video, the battery barely appears to be able to support the display gauge. Also, what I'm guessing is the rely (a black box mounted behind the battery), vibrates along with the clicking noise that is heard. I know this post might seem like it's going nowhere; however I was just wondering if anyone with more experience with motorcycle maintenance had any helpful advice for me. Right now I'm in the middle of looking up what that part exactly is, and trying to find a replacement for it.
And yes, that is duct tape on my rear fairing.

Last edited by JamesPrelude; 12-20-2011 at 06:51 PM.