Notices
Tech Talk Anything technically related to your vehicle should be posted here. If you're looking to have work done, try one of the Regional Forums.

88 B20 prelude motor into a 91 hb dx?

Old 02-24-2004, 06:52 AM
JAvenger
not a noob

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
JAvenger has disabled reputation
Question 88 B20 prelude motor into a 91 hb dx?

well, here is what im pondering on, a friends prelude has a B20a5 motor in his 88 prelude si, he was hit and now is parting his car out. will this b20a5 fit into a 91 civic dx hatchback? if so, what all has to be done, both cars are ODB0 (i think). is there any problems i will run into? how about motor mounts? which motor mounts do i need? has anyone done this swap before? i see that the motor in those preludes lean toward the firewall... will the motor have to sit in the hatchback like in the prelude? or is this a waste of money. i'm very thankful for any help that is provided.

jay

Last edited by JAvenger; 02-24-2004 at 11:50 AM.
Old 02-24-2004, 01:35 PM
gen4H22A
BOXIN YOU

gen4H22A is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: 88 B20 prelude motor into a 91 hb dx?

You can do that, but if you are going to try to make it a b20 vtec, your working with the wrong b20....it is a shitty engine compared to the one in the crv, that is what to go with, but if you arent about to put a vtec head on it, then i guess itd be fine?
Old 02-24-2004, 02:53 PM
JAvenger
not a noob

thanks bro, the b20b/z are the blocks to go with! but i'm getting a good deal on it.

i still need to know what i need? will this swap cost to much?
Old 02-24-2004, 03:25 PM
TPJ
sumospeedDOTcom

TPJ is a jewel in the roughTPJ is a jewel in the roughTPJ is a jewel in the roughTPJ is a jewel in the roughTPJ is a jewel in the rough

mount linkage possibly new axles harness ecu. same things you would need for any other swap. however from what i hear the old b20 prelude motor suck ass. they smoke, are underpowered, and die quite easily. and no i dont believe youd need to mount the motor at the same angle as in the prelude, but youd probably need a different exhaust manifold . depends, honestly i dont think its worth it. im not sure how it would work with mounting it at another angle. id definitely look into a different tranny for it. and if you do end up doing the swap, id only do it with plans to swap to a b20z later on. in which case youd be better off just waiting and saving ur money. my opinion may not matter to you though.
Old 02-24-2004, 05:06 PM
FastCRXva
Banned

FastCRXva is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by JAvenger
well, here is what im pondering on, a friends prelude has a B20a5 motor in his 88 prelude si, he was hit and now is parting his car out. will this b20a5 fit into a 91 civic dx hatchback? if so, what all has to be done, both cars are ODB0 (i think). is there any problems i will run into? how about motor mounts? which motor mounts do i need? has anyone done this swap before? i see that the motor in those preludes lean toward the firewall... will the motor have to sit in the hatchback like in the prelude? or is this a waste of money. i'm very thankful for any help that is provided.

jay
Hey whats up dude. The b20 is a nice motor, but the a5 is really not. if you deside to keep the motor. change the head. dont do a b16 head because with b20 they cause problems. at least with a b20b4. I have aB20b4/vtec set up in my crx. Im happy with it. Im pretty sure the hasport mounts will work in you ride also. you might be able to boost that 135hp to something crazy. you need to ask your self is this going to be drag or street? let me know what you do. PM me Later Dude
Old 02-24-2004, 05:15 PM
FastCRXva
Banned

Originally Posted by NoReverse
mount linkage possibly new axles harness ecu. same things you would need for any other swap. however from what i hear the old b20 prelude motor suck ass. they smoke, are underpowered, and die quite easily. and no i dont believe youd need to mount the motor at the same angle as in the prelude, but youd probably need a different exhaust manifold . depends, honestly i dont think its worth it. im not sure how it would work with mounting it at another angle. id definitely look into a different tranny for it. and if you do end up doing the swap, id only do it with plans to swap to a b20z later on. in which case youd be better off just waiting and saving ur money. my opinion may not matter to you though.
Hey man you make a good point on the b20z. The b20z is nice motor but you will save money if you go with the b20b4. the main differece is the compression. b20b4 is i think 9.0.1 an the z is 10.0.1. something like that. but if you were to built a motor right you going to need to change the pistons and rods anyway. well that what i did. i wanted all motor. i guess it all depends what you want. I know with my motor mounts(hasport) in my CRX the motor just sits a little high. It might be the same for yours, i dont really know thow for yours
Old 02-24-2004, 05:47 PM
gen4H22A
BOXIN YOU

gen4H22A is an unknown quantity at this point

only 135 hp?!?
Old 02-24-2004, 06:03 PM
JAvenger
not a noob

yeah, well i'm assuming that it's the b20a5 with 135hp, my friend says that is the jdm b20 with 160hp. but don't have paper work, so i just assume it's the USDM motor. i'm gettin a good deal on it. so just tryin to way my options. i really want to do an LS motor, just can't find one this price that i'm able to get the b20a5.
thanks for the info, keep it comin!

jay
Old 02-26-2004, 12:51 PM
FastCRXva
Banned

right
Old 02-26-2004, 02:41 PM
CivicSiDude91
Banned

CivicSiDude91 is an unknown quantity at this point

why not go h22a i heard it hell a job for the firewall

Quick Reply: 88 B20 prelude motor into a 91 hb dx?