Notices
757 The 757 forum. Introductions and regional topics go here.

Clutch bleed fail

Old 04-29-2012, 11:51 AM
rojoloco
Registered Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
rojoloco rojoloco rojoloco rojoloco rojoloco rojoloco rojoloco rojoloco rojoloco rojoloco rojoloco
Default Clutch bleed fail

Ever since I got my 300ZX back from the shipping company, the clutch has been messed up. I'm assuming there was air in the line and it just made the problem worse due to the possible extreme angle on the truck. When the car is started, it will not go into gear. I can tell the engagement point is all the way at the bottom of pedal travel to the point where it is just missing it. It will sometimes allow me to barely shift but most of the time, it does not.

Anyway, I tried to bleed to the line today and it did absolutely nothing. I noticed that the entire time, there were giant air bubbles as well as small foamy bubbles coming from both the upper and lower position. They never did go away but I have a hard time believing my entire line is one massive air bubble. I went through about a pint and a half before I stopped to see if there was any difference.

While it felt stiff with the car off, as soon as it started, the pedal went limp again and it still won't shift. I am beyond irritated!

Anybody have any ideas?
Old 04-29-2012, 12:36 PM
PicovAndropov
Flatulence

PicovAndropov PicovAndropov PicovAndropov PicovAndropov PicovAndropov PicovAndropov PicovAndropov PicovAndropov PicovAndropov PicovAndropov PicovAndropov
Default Re: Clutch bleed fail

Replace slave cylinder. Then try again.
Old 04-29-2012, 04:33 PM
rojoloco
Registered Member

rojoloco rojoloco rojoloco rojoloco rojoloco rojoloco rojoloco rojoloco rojoloco rojoloco rojoloco

Originally Posted by PotatoVodka
Replace slave cylinder. Then try again.
The slave cylinder is actually new. I also replaced the line with a stainless steel braided one.
Old 04-29-2012, 04:42 PM
NasTHatch
RIP DRAGVA-2016

NasTHatch NasTHatch NasTHatch NasTHatch NasTHatch NasTHatch NasTHatch NasTHatch NasTHatch NasTHatch NasTHatch

Originally Posted by rojoloco
The slave cylinder is actually new. I also replaced the line with a stainless steel braided one.
Tow it to Unlimited AutoCare, the owner there has a fully built TT 300zx and knows his way around these cars
Old 04-29-2012, 04:50 PM
rojoloco
Registered Member

Towing is unfortunately not an option. My budget on this thing ran out the moment I got it running after 2 years of downtime. I'm very familiar with the car (been working on them almost exclusively since 2004) but this one is throwing me for a loop. I figure it can't be the master cylinder, slave cylinder, or slave line. I'm not sure about the clutch booster. I need to study the effects of a failed booster but I don't think it would cause this. I might replace the bleeders and see what happens from there. Other people have mentioned doing a reverse bleed as well.
Old 04-29-2012, 04:51 PM
Halfrican
I like grape drank

Halfrican Halfrican Halfrican Halfrican Halfrican Halfrican Halfrican Halfrican Halfrican Halfrican Halfrican

Inject fluid with a syringe starting from the bottom up, for all the air out of your lines.
Old 04-29-2012, 04:53 PM
NasTHatch
RIP DRAGVA-2016

NasTHatch NasTHatch NasTHatch NasTHatch NasTHatch NasTHatch NasTHatch NasTHatch NasTHatch NasTHatch NasTHatch

Originally Posted by rojoloco
Towing is unfortunately not an option. My budget on this thing ran out the moment I got it running after 2 years of downtime. I'm very familiar with the car (been working on them almost exclusively since 2004) but this one is throwing me for a loop. I figure it can't be the master cylinder, slave cylinder, or slave line. I'm not sure about the clutch booster. I need to study the effects of a failed booster but I don't think it would cause this. I might replace the bleeders and see what happens from there. Other people have mentioned doing a reverse bleed as well.
It's like 50 bucks for towing.....
Old 04-29-2012, 04:57 PM
Halfrican
I like grape drank

Halfrican Halfrican Halfrican Halfrican Halfrican Halfrican Halfrican Halfrican Halfrican Halfrican Halfrican

Originally Posted by NasTHatch
He'll feel better once he fixes it himself. Its been down for 2 years, whats a little more time.
Old 04-29-2012, 05:31 PM
rojoloco
Registered Member

Originally Posted by NasTHatch
$50 for towing plus the expense that a mechanic costs. Time and money are hot commodities that are on short order unfortunately. I was hoping to get it done by Saturday for a car show but it doesn't look like it will be happening.
Old 04-29-2012, 06:51 PM
Lay Zee H
NBHNC

Lay Zee H Lay Zee H Lay Zee H Lay Zee H Lay Zee H Lay Zee H Lay Zee H Lay Zee H Lay Zee H Lay Zee H Lay Zee H

$28k invested into a POS car.

Too poor to pay someone to repair clutch properly.

Quick Reply: Clutch bleed fail