Notices
Western VA The Virginia Tech, JMU and surrounding area forum. Introductions and regional topics go here.

NB drag strip tonight

Old 06-24-2005, 09:25 PM
94silude
89silude

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
94silude is an unknown quantity at this point
Default NB drag strip tonight

well, i gues it was last night now... (1:20am)

anyways i had a blast. got a few friends together and went up there. 2 friends had their cars running. a red '04 WRX and a sliver 2.0 turbo jetta (don't know what yr.)

anyways, brandon was running the WRX and running like low 11's, real high 10's. i was like what?!? my stock 89 lude was running high 10's. he let me run it 2 times and i got it down to a 10.10X on my 2nd time.

maybe chad and joey can help...and any other wrx/awd owners could help. we tried many ways to launch it. rev to 4 and dump it. rev to 3 and fether it...nothing was working. it would just bog down REALLY bad and take forever to spool back up. i'm sure we aren't doing something right...

then the jetta. i'll tell u what, it feels quick, but was also running low 11's. the owner got a best time of 10.76x. when he let me drive it (1st time driving a VW at all) i got a 10.82x. i was pretty happy that i got the best time in the WRX and close to the owners time in the jetta.
all in all i had a good time. i haven't raced on the track for 2 seasons now and it felt like the 1st time. LOL
Old 06-24-2005, 11:05 PM
HighPSI TSi Guy
❒Good ❒ Better ✔Best

HighPSI TSi Guy has much to be proud ofHighPSI TSi Guy has much to be proud ofHighPSI TSi Guy has much to be proud ofHighPSI TSi Guy has much to be proud ofHighPSI TSi Guy has much to be proud ofHighPSI TSi Guy has much to be proud ofHighPSI TSi Guy has much to be proud ofHighPSI TSi Guy has much to be proud ofHighPSI TSi Guy has much to be proud ofHighPSI TSi Guy has much to be proud ofHighPSI TSi Guy has much to be proud of
Default Re: NB drag strip tonight

rev to 5500 and quick slip it, mashing the gas to the floor as soon as it starts rolling. when revving it up to the launch RPM keep revving between 5000 and 5500 or so, don't just hold it.
Old 06-25-2005, 12:49 AM
myclone
Registered Member

myclone has disabled reputation

Yeah, deffinately work on your technique.. What was your 60ft times?

While I dont know a lot about WRXs I saw a guy at Shadyside (hole in the wall track in southern NC) run mid 10s by revving the holy hell out of a WRX and doing a clutch dump. This was 2 or 3 years ago and I have no idea what if any mods he had but Im sure he broke something eventually by beating the car like that.

Anyways, Im thinking some launch practice will pull down some better times than you got as long as the track is hooking.
Old 06-25-2005, 04:50 AM
94silude
89silude

Originally Posted by HighPSI TSi Guy
rev to 5500 and quick slip it, mashing the gas to the floor as soon as it starts rolling. when revving it up to the launch RPM keep revving between 5000 and 5500 or so, don't just hold it.
cool man. i'll have to try that next time he let's me drive it.

best 60' time was i think 2.2 or 2.3 that can really be brought down can't it?
Old 06-25-2005, 08:16 AM
VanillaThrilla
wub wub wub wub

VanillaThrilla VanillaThrilla VanillaThrilla VanillaThrilla VanillaThrilla VanillaThrilla VanillaThrilla VanillaThrilla VanillaThrilla VanillaThrilla VanillaThrilla

2.0T Jetta???????

Who around here owns a turbo'd 2.0?????????????????????????????? WHO? TELL ME!?!
Old 06-25-2005, 09:21 AM
94silude
89silude

hmmm....

by ur reply it sounds like they are uncommon? maybe it's not a 2.0T

what i do know for a fact is it is a jetta, and it is turbo. it's all stock. so if the 2.0 (if there is a 2.0) jetta didn't come w/ turbo stock then that's not what he has.

<----- knows NOTHING about VW as i'm sure u can tell...

as far as the who, it's a guy that just moved up here with his family from FL. silver and has FL tags. he lives in vinton...
Old 06-25-2005, 09:24 AM
"SI"ngle Cam
Registered Member

"SI"ngle Cam "SI"ngle Cam "SI"ngle Cam "SI"ngle Cam "SI"ngle Cam "SI"ngle Cam "SI"ngle Cam "SI"ngle Cam "SI"ngle Cam "SI"ngle Cam "SI"ngle Cam

Originally Posted by 89silude
cool man. i'll have to try that next time he let's me drive it.

best 60' time was i think 2.2 or 2.3 that can really be brought down can't it?
Should definately be 2.0 or under in a wrx
Old 06-25-2005, 09:27 AM
Soshinoya
yay-ger.

Soshinoya has disabled reputation

Jetta was most likely a 1.8T unless he built the 2.0 for a turbo.
Old 06-25-2005, 09:47 AM
HatefulMechanic
The Pro to call.

HatefulMechanic HatefulMechanic HatefulMechanic HatefulMechanic HatefulMechanic HatefulMechanic HatefulMechanic HatefulMechanic HatefulMechanic HatefulMechanic HatefulMechanic

Dave has it right on the head for launching.

5500, start to slip it at the second yellow, mat it and let the clutch out on the third.

then get ready to either grab second, or sit there dead for a minute, then launch in second and get beat by a ricer accord.

if you dont smell clutch, you didnt do it right
Old 06-25-2005, 10:18 AM
94silude
89silude

Originally Posted by fc735
Dave has it right on the head for launching.

5500, start to slip it at the second yellow, mat it and let the clutch out on the third.

then get ready to either grab second, or sit there dead for a minute, then launch in second and get beat by a ricer accord.

if you dont smell clutch, you didnt do it right
hahaha, i had no clutch smell action going on, neither did brandon or the other 1200 ppl that drove his car last night. lol.

so rev from 5000 to 5500. 2nd yellow let up the clutch a bit and let it start to almost grab. is that what u mean by slipping it? 3rd yellow/green WOT and let clutch out all the way. is that right?

or u can just dump it at ~4500-5000 bog down and run a 11.4...

Originally Posted by mugenman
Jetta was most likely a 1.8T unless he built the 2.0 for a turbo.
nope, he didn't do that. so it was a 1.8T...my mistake.

Quick Reply: NB drag strip tonight