Notices
Cycle Corner Running with two less wheels than everyone else? This forum is for you.

zx9 question

Old 06-23-2008, 04:36 PM
Vern
turbo on 2 wheels

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Vern Vern Vern Vern Vern Vern Vern Vern Vern Vern Vern
Default Re: zx9 question

every time i start mine up i never hear the fuel pump cutting on... are you just listening for it or are you actually testing the wires to the fuel pump?
Old 06-23-2008, 06:53 PM
soloboy
Banned

soloboy is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by Vern
every time i start mine up i never hear the fuel pump cutting on... are you just listening for it or are you actually testing the wires to the fuel pump?
I tried to listin to see if it primes like a car when u turn the key on, but yeah I checked all the wires, checked every fuse
Old 06-23-2008, 08:38 PM
Abysalone
Fighterer

Abysalone will become famous soon enough

I know this is extremely stupid, but is the gas on?
Old 06-24-2008, 05:28 AM
skr00zloose
hatrs make me famous

skr00zloose has disabled reputation

kawi fuel pumps don't pump untill you hit the start button, and only when the motor is turning over. stupid design, but that's just the way they are. if it was ran completely out of gas, it may take a while of cranking, sometimes a good long while, to prime the system again. put your hand on the pump, turn the key on, and hit the start button. you should feel the pump pulse while the motor is turning over.

the only pumps you'll hear (usually) are the in-tank pumps of fuel injected bikes. sometimes you can hear honda pumps pulsing when you turn the key on, but kawi's are wired different. they don't prime when you turn the key on, only when you're cranking the motor over. never did understand why they do it that way.

as far as the relay, it's under the seat, little black box with a red connector.

Last edited by skr00zloose; 06-24-2008 at 05:30 AM.
Old 06-24-2008, 05:47 AM
VanillaThrilla
wub wub wub wub

VanillaThrilla VanillaThrilla VanillaThrilla VanillaThrilla VanillaThrilla VanillaThrilla VanillaThrilla VanillaThrilla VanillaThrilla VanillaThrilla VanillaThrilla

Originally Posted by skr00zloose
they don't prime when you turn the key on, only when you're cranking the motor over. never did understand why they do it that way.

as far as the relay, it's under the seat, little black box with a red connector.
That may be true for some Kawasaki's, but mine primes when you turn the key on, as did my last Kawasaki which was not fuel injected ('01 ZX6R)
Old 06-24-2008, 09:23 AM
soloboy
Banned

Yeah I mean I smell the gas when I try turning it over. Gas is on yeah, and I took apart every plug and all of the had the O rings around the connect to keep them dry and All looked brand new.
Old 06-24-2008, 10:06 AM
skr00zloose
hatrs make me famous

skr00zloose has disabled reputation

Originally Posted by ZeRo_c0oL@work
That may be true for some Kawasaki's, but mine primes when you turn the key on, as did my last Kawasaki which was not fuel injected ('01 ZX6R)
you're right, i'm more talking about zx7's and zx9's. every time i've had to do a carb clean on a 7 or a 9, i've had to hook up a jump box to keep from killing the battery while i crank and crank and crank until the pump fills the carbs up. i always hated that.

ALL fuel injected bikes prime with the key, they have to in order to build pressure in the system. most carbed bikes will pump with the key (as they should) but for whatever reason, zx7's and 9's don't.

also, the fuel pumps don't continuosly run, once they see the pressure letting the pump know the bowls are full, they shut off, and after that they'll just "pulse" as needed to keep the carbs full. the only ones that run all the time are the few bikes that have a return line to the tank and a fuel pressure regulater. kinda a bad idea on a carbed bike because it's have to be a stupidly low pressure regulator or the pump would blow fuel past the float needle on a regular basis. hence why they just run a pressure (load) sensor on the pump.
Old 06-24-2008, 11:04 AM
soloboy
Banned

I dont see what three red plugs your talking about??
Old 06-24-2008, 12:46 PM
soloboy
Banned

I just undid the gas line from the fuel pump to the block to see if it is getting gas threw the pump when i turned the key on. and no its not getting gas to that line , so no gas is getting threw the fuel pump..
Old 06-24-2008, 01:26 PM
chappe
SV haver

chappe chappe chappe chappe chappe chappe chappe chappe chappe chappe chappe

im not sure how bikes work, still learning a bunch a crap... BUT is there like some sort of filter before the gas goes thru the fuel pump?.. check that, also, any lines ect......
im assuming that by what skrooz said, its an external pump... also, check if the pump is getting electricity a test light should be enough... (ground it put it to the POS on the pump and crank) if you get light... sigh... if not there ya go.... also i would try this procedure with that one line you checked unplugged so that way if you see fuel or not you know.... IDK how, but you should test that relay for the fuel pump... and make sure its not fugged...

Mainly i would check that the fuel is getting to the fuel pump with no problem... you may just need a new pump...

also, you can check your pump (i did it this way to one of my past cars) by just taking it out, getting a bucket of gas, a good source of 12 Volts (battery) and dipping the sucking end in fuel and putting pos and NEG on the batt... if it pumps its good, if it doesnt.... new pump...

stay on 2 son!

Quick Reply: zx9 question