Notices
Automotive Gallery Vehicle (meaning anything with an engine) and related pictures and videos go here, everything else goes in one of the Eye-Candy forums.

Race video from Road Atlanta this weekend [June Jam with NASA SouthEast]

Old 06-18-2012 | 02:03 PM
calisol
RevTek

calisol calisol calisol calisol calisol calisol calisol calisol calisol calisol calisol
Default Re: Race video from Road Atlanta this weekend [June Jam with NASA SouthEast]

nice video and driving B!
Old 06-18-2012 | 05:15 PM
Cobra4B
Fanboi

Cobra4B Cobra4B Cobra4B Cobra4B Cobra4B Cobra4B Cobra4B Cobra4B Cobra4B Cobra4B Cobra4B
Default Re: Race video from Road Atlanta this weekend [June Jam with NASA SouthEast]

Added a highlight video shot by the guy who beat me both days. He does video production for a living so this is just a "little something" he threw together.
Old 06-18-2012 | 05:39 PM
PicovAndropov
Flatulence

PicovAndropov PicovAndropov PicovAndropov PicovAndropov PicovAndropov PicovAndropov PicovAndropov PicovAndropov PicovAndropov PicovAndropov PicovAndropov

Looks very fun. Car sounds great as well
Old 06-18-2012 | 05:44 PM
Cobra4B
Fanboi

Cobra4B Cobra4B Cobra4B Cobra4B Cobra4B Cobra4B Cobra4B Cobra4B Cobra4B Cobra4B Cobra4B

It's a stock 2001 LS6 with a halltech air filter replacing the stock airbox. Exhaust wise it's all stock, but with the cats removed. C5Zs have a titanium catback which sounds good, flows well, and is really light all from GM. I have the stock 6600 rpm rev limiter in place. The red car is spinning to 7k; also stock exhaust and he has his cats still in place.
Old 07-09-2012 | 04:35 PM
Cobra4B
Fanboi

https://www.dropbox.com/s/z8t8qogzmmo96sg/RA%20-%20NASA%20ST2%20-%2006-17-12%20Rear%20Thunder%20Qualifying.mov Chasing a detuned (but still very very fast) ST2 GTR qualifying. Guy just sent me the vieo from his rear mounted Go-Pro.
Old 07-09-2012 | 07:09 PM
GripSpec
Registered member

GripSpec has disabled reputation

Great videos. How did you progress to running in nasa wheel to wheel racing? Did you have to complete hpde 1-4 and then you are allowed to enter actual racing classes?
Old 07-09-2012 | 07:52 PM
Cobra4B
Fanboi

1. Started doing HPDEs with various groups in 2002.

2. Went to the Panoz driving school in 2003, but didn't get a comp license, just did the school.

3. Ran various HPDEs over the years, generally 3-5 a years as funds allowed. Joined NASA in '05-'06 timeframe, can't remember. Was in HPDE-3 from the start due to previous experience.

4. In 2009 I got tired of driving laps and decided to get a TT check ride. One TT session with real timing and I was hooked. Had zero desire to run HPDE laps from that moment forward.

5. Got my instructor certification in February 2011.

6. Went to comp school in October 2011.

The current progression is HPDE 1-3 and then you can go for you comp license. However, I strongly suggest running TT before you try to go to comp school, but it's not mandatory. This tends to be debated on the NASAforums as some racers never did TT and don't see the value in it. I disagree 100%. Mastering TT means you can drive your car 100% "flat out". This is an important skill to have... being able to drive your car as fast as it'll go means you have the fundamentals of driving the car mastered and can devote your brain to all the extras that come with racing i.e. other cars and racecraft. I like to use a golf analogy. Hitting perfect shots on the driving range and having a fundamentally perfect swing is very different from playing tournament golf and winning. However, you'd have a really hard time winning a golf tournament if you're always fiddling with your swing and trying to figure out how to hit a certain shot... you have to just know how to hit the shots.

My best advice is to just get out there and drive. Too many people thing they need to mod up their cars and need all kinds of fancy parts or mega horsepower. Just go and learn.

Last edited by Cobra4B; 07-09-2012 at 07:56 PM.
Old 07-09-2012 | 08:05 PM
GripSpec
Registered member

GripSpec has disabled reputation

Originally Posted by Cobra4B
1. Started doing HPDEs with various groups in 2002.

2. Went to the Panoz driving school in 2003, but didn't get a comp license, just did the school.

3. Ran various HPDEs over the years, generally 3-5 a years as funds allowed. Joined NASA in '05-'06 timeframe, can't remember. Was in HPDE-3 from the start due to previous experience.

4. In 2009 I got tired of driving laps and decided to get a TT check ride. One TT session with real timing and I was hooked. Had zero desire to run HPDE laps from that moment forward.

5. Got my instructor certification in February 2011.

6. Went to comp school in October 2011.

The current progression is HPDE 1-3 and then you can go for you comp license. However, I strongly suggest running TT before you try to go to comp school, but it's not mandatory. This tends to be debated on the NASAforums as some racers never did TT and don't see the value in it. I disagree 100%. Mastering TT means you can drive your car 100% "flat out". This is an important skill to have... being able to drive your car as fast as it'll go means you have the fundamentals of driving the car mastered and can devote your brain to all the extras that come with racing i.e. other cars and racecraft. I like to use a golf analogy. Hitting perfect shots on the driving range and having a fundamentally perfect swing is very different from playing tournament golf and winning. However, you'd have a really hard time winning a golf tournament if you're always fiddling with your swing and trying to figure out how to hit a certain shot... you have to just know how to hit the shots.

My best advice is to just get out there and drive. Too many people thing they need to mod up their cars and need all kinds of fancy parts or mega horsepower. Just go and learn.

Awesome, thanks for the insight. I can definitely see the benefit of mastering TT before getting into competition racing. When you run in the thunder class, are the slower ST and GTS cars on the track racing at the same time?
Old 07-09-2012 | 08:49 PM
Cobra4B
Fanboi

Depends. Sometimes the faster GTS cars run in Thunder, sometimes they run in Autobahn group. ST cars are supposed to be faster than my class which is technically PTA.