Notices
Western VA The Virginia Tech, JMU and surrounding area forum. Introductions and regional topics go here.

I've got great news!

Old 05-14-2005, 06:13 AM
VanillaThrilla
wub wub wub wub

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
VanillaThrilla VanillaThrilla VanillaThrilla VanillaThrilla VanillaThrilla VanillaThrilla VanillaThrilla VanillaThrilla VanillaThrilla VanillaThrilla VanillaThrilla
Default Re: I've got great news!

Originally Posted by myclone
FWIW.... Prolly being considered one of the "old ppl" on here Ive got something for you younger guys to look forward to...

Your ins will prolly never go down no matter what magic age number you hear about. I patiently waited to hit 25 for it to drop...didnt happen...it went up. I waited until 30 for it to drop...didnt happen...it went up. I waited for it to go down when I bought my house and insured it as well as all my cars...didnt happen it went up. Getting married was supposed to drop my auto rates which it didnt but it did stay the same since my wife carries her own insurance as well as pays for her own vehicles (I get stuck working on them so how the hell did that happen?....thats not the point though).

Anyways, what Im saying is that dont be suprised if your insurance premiums NEVER go down no matter how old you are, how many policies you have, how many wives you have, multi car discounts, multi policy discounts etc. Also dont be suprised when your premium goes up for every 10 points your credit beacon(sp?) score drops, getting any non moving violations (burned out lights, not wearing seat belt, etc), as well as any other excuse to raise your rates whether they are legit in your opinion or not. Im 36, married, have everything I own insured, life insurance, average one ticket every 5-7yrs for 8-10mph over the posted limit, perfect credit with a beacon(sp?) of almost 800, one accident with $250 worth of damage/no injuries over 12yrs ago and my insurance has never ever dropped one penny. It does go up every year like clock work so it doesnt take a rocket scientist to come to the conclusion that reaching a certain age, marital status, or whatever and your insurance going down is just about an urban legend.

My .02 FWIW.
Ironically enough, I work in the insurance industry. I don't know why you guys are having your insurance go up, but every single day I assist agents in doing things like making endorsements for insurance discounts at some point throughout the day.. I work at the Allstate National Support Center in the ATSC (technology support center) - - - There are so many discounts that it's actually unreal. With Allstate, there are Good Hands discounts too, and if you're a fireman, police officer, paramedic, etc.. you can potentially save hundreds of dollars annually. I was helping an agent yesterday who was insuring 3 people; Two of the three operators were paramedics, and the third (their son) was a student.. I saw that with the Good Hands discount they saved $190 every 6 months. Good student discount for their son shaved another $80 off every 6 months.

Maybe you guys should give your agents a call.. There has to be a reason why your rates are going up. That's not how insurance is supposed to work.

I don't know what insurer you're with, cyclone, but based on all of the criteria that you've mentioned, your insurance should be going *down*. All of those things mentioned are factors that affect your rates. Credit, multi-policies, marital status, MVR (driving record), obviously your age... etc.

IIRC off of the top of my head, you're still considered a young driver if you're single up until you're something like 51 years old. I saw a guy that was 49 years old still living at home with his mother, and he couldn't be rated 100% on more than one vehicle because he was still classified as a young driver. Marital status is a big one. That should have shaved your rates down quite a bit.
Old 05-14-2005, 06:46 AM
KnowForever
.!.. Evo's ;)

KnowForever has disabled reputation

so are we gonna have a big birthday bash in june.. cmon, both of us turning 21... we should have a psi meet.. and lots and lots of beer!
Old 05-14-2005, 07:21 AM
VanillaThrilla
wub wub wub wub

VanillaThrilla VanillaThrilla VanillaThrilla VanillaThrilla VanillaThrilla VanillaThrilla VanillaThrilla VanillaThrilla VanillaThrilla VanillaThrilla VanillaThrilla

Originally Posted by DeadEvoVIII
so are we gonna have a big birthday bash in june.. cmon, both of us turning 21... we should have a psi meet.. and lots and lots of beer!
What day is your birthday? Mine is the 7th.
Old 05-14-2005, 07:50 AM
KnowForever
.!.. Evo's ;)

KnowForever has disabled reputation

Originally Posted by ZeRo_c0oL@work
What day is your birthday? Mine is the 7th.
29th
Old 05-14-2005, 11:35 AM
fine_gxe
Registered Member

fine_gxe has disabled reputation

Adam i thought you were older than me! hahaha! i guess not. I'll be 21 in november.... If you throw a party, make sure i get an invite!
Old 05-14-2005, 12:01 PM
VanillaThrilla
wub wub wub wub

Originally Posted by fine_gxe
Adam i thought you were older than me! hahaha! i guess not. I'll be 21 in november.... If you throw a party, make sure i get an invite!
Erm, I am older than you..

Remember, my 21st birthday is in June. Yours is in November. With that said, I'm older than you. Not by much, but I'm still older.

You'll have to let me buy you a drink on your 21st. haha.. I've always wanted to buy someone a drink. I'm not really a big drinker but I don't think it would hurt to throw a couple down sometime.
Old 05-14-2005, 01:35 PM
fine_gxe
Registered Member

fine_gxe has disabled reputation

Erm, I am older than you..

Remember, my 21st birthday is in June. Yours is in November. With that said, I'm older than you. Not by much, but I'm still older.

You'll have to let me buy you a drink on your 21st. haha.. I've always wanted to buy someone a drink. I'm not really a big drinker but I don't think it would hurt to throw a couple down sometime.
Ok, so you are older by a few months....but I thought you were like 23....lol! If you want to buy me a drink... I might be able to do that!
Old 05-14-2005, 03:16 PM
myclone
Registered Member

myclone has disabled reputation

I don't know what insurer you're with, cyclone, but based on all of the criteria that you've mentioned, your insurance should be going *down*. All of those things mentioned are factors that affect your rates. Credit, multi-policies, marital status, MVR (driving record), obviously your age... etc.
FWIW Im with Rockingham Mutual right now. I have 3 cars insured, home owners ins (replacement value), life insurance (yeah, Im worth more dead just dont tell the wife), married Sept of last year, 36yrs old as of March 05, last ticket I got was 76 in a 65 zone (I-81) around 1997, one accident where I tapped a jeep in the rear end which bent his bumper (~$250 claim) several years ago, credit beacon(sp?) of 780 last time I checked which was last summer, no bankruptcy/bad debt/etc (I pay my bills as required basically and dont have astronomical dept to income ratio).

I inquired with my agent how much my auto ins would drop since I got married and she informed me it will go up since I would be adding my wife which I informed her that I wasnt adding my wife to my policy as she has her own vehicles and carries her own ins. The agent said my auto rates will stay the same no matter if Im married or not in that case. Since my agent is pretty much a snotty, haggy, old battle axe the conversation ended there.

Ive entertained the thought of calling State Farm, Allstate, etc but my rates arent too awfully bad right now IMO considering the value of the vehicles I have, replacement value I have on the house and contents, etc so I really havent bothered with it much. Last I remember my auto ins alone is about 900 bucks a year for my dually, Syclone, and beater 4wd. That might be a decent rate or it might not but I can tell you its NEVER went down unless I got rid of a vehicle which would mean an obvious decrease IMO.
Old 05-15-2005, 05:51 AM
20psi 240sx
Registered Member

20psi 240sx is an unknown quantity at this point

my insurance went down when my girlfriend lived with me. like $15 per month less just to have her on my policy. i pay like $135 per month for full on one car and liability on the other. i remember paying $200 plus for one car when i was 18.
Old 05-15-2005, 06:05 AM
Hybrid AWD
Your Local DSM Tech

Hybrid AWD Hybrid AWD Hybrid AWD Hybrid AWD Hybrid AWD Hybrid AWD Hybrid AWD Hybrid AWD Hybrid AWD Hybrid AWD Hybrid AWD

Im with state farm as well. At 19 it dropped like $10/mth then i was told it goes down when im 21 and 25....