Notices
Cycle Corner Running with two less wheels than everyone else? This forum is for you.

What oil and filter should I use (ZX-6R)

Old 01-14-2006, 05:35 AM
Del La Sol 1320
Registered Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Del La Sol 1320 has disabled reputation
Default Re: What oil and filter should I use (ZX-6R)

You can usually get a pack of like 5 OEM filters on ebay and they end up being like half of whatever dealer price is. Oil I used to be die hard synthetic every 2,500 miles but I see so many bikes come in with like 50, 60k on them and I always ask about their oil changes and 9 times out of 10 they are like "just car oil" or "just regular suzuki oil every 5,000 miles" so I'm sick of shelling out $50 for oil change supplies every couple months, with this bike I'm just using regular $2 a quart suzuki 10w40, but still changing it under 3k since its cheap.
Old 01-15-2006, 05:28 PM
onepointone
ASE Master

onepointone has much to be proud ofonepointone has much to be proud ofonepointone has much to be proud ofonepointone has much to be proud ofonepointone has much to be proud ofonepointone has much to be proud ofonepointone has much to be proud ofonepointone has much to be proud ofonepointone has much to be proud ofonepointone has much to be proud ofonepointone has much to be proud of

Originally Posted by Del La Sol 1320
You can usually get a pack of like 5 OEM filters on ebay and they end up being like half of whatever dealer price is. Oil I used to be die hard synthetic every 2,500 miles but I see so many bikes come in with like 50, 60k on them and I always ask about their oil changes and 9 times out of 10 they are like "just car oil" or "just regular suzuki oil every 5,000 miles" so I'm sick of shelling out $50 for oil change supplies every couple months, with this bike I'm just using regular $2 a quart suzuki 10w40, but still changing it under 3k since its cheap.

if your going to use car oil, you have to look at the back of the bottle. theres a circle on the back that has some stuff on it (forgot exactly what), but it will either say "energy saving" or something like that on the ring of the circle, or it will be blank. it cant say "energy saving" or it will cause your clutch to slip. and im sure that wont be a very easy thing to fix once its in there.

personally, i use the silkolene 10w-40 semi-synthetic in my sv650s every 2500 miles. ive heard good stuff about silkolene and so far so good. i guess technically i wouldnt really notice a difference unless i had to tear down my motor, but its a peace of mind thing i guess..? i know i can probably go longer on the milage, but i do ride the bike like it was meant to be ridden and it makes me feel a little better.

i dont know if its true, but a guy at the sprocketz on broad street in richmond was telling me about people spinning rod bearings with running full synthetic? i dont know if its true or not, but another peace of mind thing, i just decided to run semi-synthetic.

i guess while we are on the subject, has anyone else ever heard of spinning bearings with full synthetic? im guessing its not too common of a thing?

edit:

actually here we go. the thing on the back of the oil bottle will look like this. its "energy conserving". you want it to not say that. (from what ive read, ill be the first to admit ive never used car oil in my bike)

Last edited by onepointone; 01-15-2006 at 05:30 PM.
Old 01-15-2006, 08:45 PM
Del La Sol 1320
Registered Member

Thats the first I've heard of that, it wouldn't make any sense to me how that could cause it to happen the only possible thing I've ever heard with full synthetic is its so slippery or whatever that overnight it all drains down into the pan and unlike a thicker regular oil it isn't still stuck to your top end so when you start the bike there is less lubrication on your top end, I don't really believe this but it does atleast make some possible sense to me, but rod bearings, I don't see how the two could be related. Aprilias and Ducatis come factory with full synthetic and thats what all race teams run.

Having worked there myself I'd say over half of people at Sprocketz/Honda House have never even owned bikes let alone changed the oil on one so I'd be cautious about taking advice from there unless its one of the Kenny's or Tim.

good call on the car stuff, i wouldn't use it myself but just saying I felt silly changing full synthetic every 2,500 miles when I keep seeing people reach high miles on their bikes hardly doing any maintainance
Old 01-16-2006, 03:20 AM
onepointone
ASE Master

onepointone has much to be proud ofonepointone has much to be proud ofonepointone has much to be proud ofonepointone has much to be proud ofonepointone has much to be proud ofonepointone has much to be proud ofonepointone has much to be proud ofonepointone has much to be proud ofonepointone has much to be proud ofonepointone has much to be proud ofonepointone has much to be proud of

the guy that told me that raced a first gen sv. and had a 1000rr for a street bike. i didnt get his name though. one of his buddies befind the counter was agreeing with him? i figured spinning bearings wasnt too common otherwise im sure it wouldnt be too popular to run full synthetic.

my dad is running full synthetic is in honda st1100 and hes changing his oil every 10k and encouraging me to do the same.. right...
Old 01-16-2006, 07:28 AM
Del La Sol 1320
Registered Member

Yea thats Kenny he knows alot about bikes so he must have read it somewhere or heard it from someone he believed but I just can't see how it would relate.
Old 01-16-2006, 12:09 PM
zx12guy
Registered Member

zx12guy is an unknown quantity at this point

Regular car oil is fine, the synthetic has a moly addittive that will cause your clutch to slip. As far as synthetic oil causing spun bearings that's retarded, you spin a bearing from lack of lubrication not to much.
Old 01-25-2006, 03:42 AM
joey011582
Registered Member

joey011582 has disabled reputation

Look, if the synthetic oil is made for motorcycles then it will not cause your clutch to slip, plain and simple. I'm pretty sure the engineers who designed the oil know what they're doing. As for synthetic oil running off the top-end, thats bull too. Its engineered to bond and protect and it can take more punishment than patrollium based oils. Thats why you can go longer between oil changes if you want. Patrollium based oils can't handle the heat nor is it as effient. Thats why you only see synthetics that are 5w 40 instead of 10w40 or 20w40. I run the Castrol R4 5w40 superbike formula and my bike feels stronger and the shifts are sweet. You guys should try it, you won't be disappointed. I own a 06 ZX6R on my third oil change and I beat the shit out of my bike!