Notices
Tech Talk Anything technically related to your vehicle should be posted here. If you're looking to have work done, try one of the Regional Forums.

B20b?

Old 07-25-2010, 09:37 AM
jhholloway
Registered Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
jhholloway jhholloway jhholloway jhholloway jhholloway jhholloway jhholloway jhholloway jhholloway jhholloway jhholloway
Default Re: B20b?

Originally Posted by Fabrik8
Luckily all of that goes out the window once the stock heads and stock manifolds are removed, so there is no point in comparing the relative power output of the stock engines. So unless you're planning on putting B20 parts on an LS, or LS parts on a B20, I don't see why any of the stock power figures are the slightest bit relevant.
Alright, fair enough. I see that. I could be wrong. What do you think about once you change the compression to 9.6 and the intake man in the b20z the hp rises to 146. which is the same as an LS.

It was representing how the +.2 affected hp numbers. I was assuming it was all stock, since I did not see any mods listed.

Last edited by jhholloway; 07-25-2010 at 09:41 AM.
Old 07-25-2010, 09:46 AM
Fabrik8
Racetracks

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Fabrik8 Fabrik8 Fabrik8 Fabrik8 Fabrik8 Fabrik8 Fabrik8 Fabrik8 Fabrik8 Fabrik8 Fabrik8
Default Re: B20b?

Originally Posted by jhholloway
Alright, fair enough. I see that. I could be wrong. What do you think about once you change the compression to 9.6 and the intake man in the b20z the hp rises to 146. which is the same as an LS.

It was representing how the +.2 affected hp numbers.
If you used the same head, etc., and just swapped out the blocks, then you can see the difference. Otherwise, you're just making assumptions based on a lot more variables than just a slight difference in displacement. The question of whether increased displacement adds power is not really a question at all. If you're changing other things than just the displacement (like the comp ratio) then you're obviously not just changing the displacement, and can't draw conclusions based on just changing the displacement.

No, you're not necessarily going to see a big difference with a 0.2L jump in displacement. But the difference will be there.

I guess I should qualify that: Assuming that the rod/stroke ratio is pretty much the same between the two blocks (B20 and B18) the displacement is really the only difference. I'm pretty sure the rod/stroke ratio is virtually the same between the two, so I'm ignoring any differences that may cause. I'm making the assumption that the B20 is just a larger displacement version of the B18, which I think is valid.

Last edited by Fabrik8; 07-25-2010 at 09:56 AM.