Notices
Tech Talk Anything technically related to your vehicle should be posted here. If you're looking to have work done, try one of the Regional Forums.

2 part foam in unibody

Old 12-22-2002, 06:28 AM
Fabrik8
Racetracks

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Fabrik8 Fabrik8 Fabrik8 Fabrik8 Fabrik8 Fabrik8 Fabrik8 Fabrik8 Fabrik8 Fabrik8 Fabrik8
Default 2 part foam in unibody

Has anyone tried the 2 part urethane foam in their unibody chassis? I've heard good things about this, supposedly up to a 40% increase in chassis stiffness, but I want to get more info before I strip my interior and squirt $200 worth of foam into my unibody cavities... Any insights?
Old 12-22-2002, 08:19 AM
CHAHONDA
corona connessuer

CHAHONDA CHAHONDA CHAHONDA CHAHONDA CHAHONDA CHAHONDA CHAHONDA CHAHONDA CHAHONDA CHAHONDA CHAHONDA

i dont really know about the stiffening effect... im sure that it would work good as sound deadening. i'm sure that it would stiffen it some
Old 12-23-2002, 04:39 AM
ToyotaTechGeek
brake/steer/throttle

ToyotaTechGeek ToyotaTechGeek ToyotaTechGeek ToyotaTechGeek ToyotaTechGeek ToyotaTechGeek ToyotaTechGeek ToyotaTechGeek ToyotaTechGeek ToyotaTechGeek ToyotaTechGeek

gotta be worried about expansion or sometimes lack of it. otherwise it's also very messy. it's just foam, can't be too structurally rigid.
the geek
Old 12-23-2002, 06:40 AM
ae86

ae86 is an unknown quantity at this point

This might help you: http://www.miata.net/products/chassis/bellco.html
Old 12-23-2002, 07:38 AM
Blasphemous
Former 757'er

Blasphemous Blasphemous Blasphemous Blasphemous Blasphemous Blasphemous Blasphemous Blasphemous Blasphemous
Default Re: 2 part foam in unibody

Originally posted by Fabrik8
Has anyone tried the 2 part urethane foam in their unibody chassis? I've heard good things about this, supposedly up to a 40% increase in chassis stiffness, but I want to get more info before I strip my interior and squirt $200 worth of foam into my unibody cavities... Any insights?
I've heard of it being used on SCCA RX7's before. Only in the very competitive classes though. You'd see better gains in sway bars, springs or the like. Only go this route if you've done EVERYTHING else, otherwise save your money.
Old 12-23-2002, 03:50 PM
Fabrik8
Racetracks

Fabrik8 Fabrik8 Fabrik8 Fabrik8 Fabrik8 Fabrik8 Fabrik8 Fabrik8 Fabrik8 Fabrik8 Fabrik8

i'm just looking for someone who may have done it themselves and what kind of improvement they got from it. Japanese tuners have been doing it for years, and Sport Compact Car did it to their project 300ZX a while back.. i'm looking for an effective way to stiffen up the mid chassis of my sol while the top is off. The foam will only add a few pounds and helps out a lot apparently, and no other chassis mod can stiffen up my chassis except stitch welding all the seams, and that's waaaay too involved. Suspension mods don't do the same thing, and they aren't what I'm looking for. I'm do them also, sure, but they won't help the stiffness with the top off. Thanks for everyones' replies.... =)
Old 12-23-2002, 05:49 PM
98sr20ve
Mr. Inconspicuous

98sr20ve is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally posted by Fabrik8
and Sport Compact Car did it to their project 300ZX a while back..
That is Mike Kojima. He and I talk thru e-mail semi regularly. If he says it works then it works. He also put it on his Classic SE-R. Classic's are know to be a little flexy in back. I am seriously considering doing my car. The stiffer the frame the better the car will handle. I have all the frame stiffeners already so this would be my next step. Don't be fooled into using the non-catylist type. It will not work.
Old 12-24-2002, 05:58 AM
Fabrik8
Racetracks

Yeah, I found the foam and everything, and I saw the classic SE-R writeup this month, which sparked my interest in the foam again... If you foam your chassis, let me know. I'll probably wait until the weather warms up because the foam is a little touchy as far as cure temp and stuff apparently...
Thanks Steve... =)
Old 12-24-2002, 01:24 PM
Blasphemous
Former 757'er

Blasphemous Blasphemous Blasphemous Blasphemous Blasphemous Blasphemous Blasphemous Blasphemous Blasphemous

Originally posted by 98sr20ve
That is Mike Kojima. He and I talk thru e-mail semi regularly. If he says it works then it works. He also put it on his Classic SE-R. Classic's are know to be a little flexy in back. I am seriously considering doing my car. The stiffer the frame the better the car will handle. I have all the frame stiffeners already so this would be my next step. Don't be fooled into using the non-catylist type. It will not work.
From doing a bit of research, this actually sounds pretty good. If someone actually uses does it, get a source of supply and your opinions on it. I'll more than likely give it a shot.