Notices
Tech Talk Anything technically related to your vehicle should be posted here. If you're looking to have work done, try one of the Regional Forums.

NEED HELP ASAP. oil problem (b18c1)

Old 04-04-2007, 08:07 AM
sick89six
Registered Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
sick89six is a jewel in the roughsick89six is a jewel in the roughsick89six is a jewel in the rough
Default NEED HELP ASAP. oil problem (b18c1)

I have a Benson sleeved and bored 2.0L Integra gsr. The bottom end has CP pistons with Eagle rods. It has ACL bearings and a Comtec headgasket.

The oil light came on in my car. I started to here a ticking that slowly got louder. I oulled over and had the car towed home. It was not a knock though. I did the oil pressure check and it was low. So I replaced the oil pump with an oem Type R pump. When took the oil pan off though i noticed copper metal shavings?????? The motor was rebuilt before I got it (5000 miles ago) so I figured that they may have been from the rebuild. I cleaned it out and put it all back together. Started it up and heard a slight tick at idle but a loud tick almost knock at anything over 2000 rpm's. After it heated up the oil light came on again. DAMN IT. I took it apart again and found that the oil pickup was really clogged so that might be what caused the oil problem and not the pump. I alos found more copper shavings and now silver specs. (bearing material) I went ahead and checked the rod bearings. One of the rod caps was BLACK. (heat). that bearing was shot. It was the farthest from the oil pump. The rod and crank journals were perfect though? That was the only rod bearing that was messed up. Questions????

1. Could the oil pick-up caused the oil pressure problem?
2. What could the copper shavings in the oil be?
3. Can I just replace the bearings with the same size (STD) and will it be ok. (of course I will plastiguage everything agin to be sure)?

THANK you very much for your time
-andrew
Old 04-04-2007, 09:40 AM
RPRacing
Huntin Dropa ForLife

RPRacing has disabled reputation
Default Re: NEED HELP ASAP. oil problem (b18c1)

yes, oil pick up could have caused the starvation problem. but which happened first?

copper is bearing material. definately.

check your crank journals and housing bores. definately plastigauge everything.

now, most people dont this, but when your caar detonates a little bit, not only does it mess the piston and rings up, it causes premature bearing wear. Is your car tuned?

I would take the motor all apart and check everything in there to be safe.
Old 04-04-2007, 12:15 PM
sick89six
Registered Member

sick89six is a jewel in the roughsick89six is a jewel in the roughsick89six is a jewel in the rough

Bearing Material? Thats what I thought at first but its flakes not specs and the bearings are silver not copper colored.

Yes the Car is tuned.

I thought It was the pickup, but what could have caused that?
Old 04-04-2007, 02:41 PM
sick89six
Registered Member

The mains were fine. they look almost brand new. Same with three of the four rod bearings.

one wierd thing is that the rod that had the bad bearing (it didn't spin yet just hammered) was the rod cap was black! heat im guessing.
Old 04-04-2007, 05:59 PM
99CIVICFTW
RagPhoto.net

99CIVICFTW will become famous soon enough99CIVICFTW will become famous soon enough

sounds like heat to me
Old 04-04-2007, 06:06 PM
sick89six
Registered Member

do you think that this took the strength out of the rod? the rod inner diameter checks out good as does the crank journal, so can i just replace the bearing?