Notices
Tech Talk Anything technically related to your vehicle should be posted here. If you're looking to have work done, try one of the Regional Forums.

Transmission Problems

Old 04-06-2007, 12:31 PM
vinny89GT
WeShouldHaveShotguns

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
vinny89GT vinny89GT vinny89GT vinny89GT vinny89GT vinny89GT vinny89GT vinny89GT vinny89GT vinny89GT vinny89GT
Default Transmission Problems

I changed the oil today and took the car out for a little drive. It ended up being a pretty much horrible drive because of the traffic and the problems my transmission started giving me.

Here are a few of the symptoms:
1. Sometimes the car will not come out of first. When this happens, if I let my foot off the brake, the car will start to move slightly forward. Once I start to move, I can shift into second.

2. The car, at times, refuses to go into any gear. It's as if the clutch was not pressed down. When this happens it takes me a few minutes to force the car into a gear, once I am in a gear (could be 3rd or 4th) I can take the car out of that gear and it slides smoothly into any other gear.

3. The car grinded very bad whenever I tried to put it into 5th gear, moving or not.

Please help me with this situation as this car is my daily. One thing I thought of is that I do not have an adjustable clutch cable. Could this make any difference?

Thanks in advance.
Old 04-06-2007, 12:52 PM
Slooby
TAINT PUNCHER!

Slooby Slooby Slooby Slooby Slooby Slooby Slooby Slooby Slooby Slooby Slooby
Default Re: Transmission Problems

Originally Posted by vinny89GT
I changed the oil today and took the car out for a little drive. It ended up being a pretty much horrible drive because of the traffic and the problems my transmission started giving me.

Here are a few of the symptoms:
1. Sometimes the car will not come out of first. When this happens, if I let my foot off the brake, the car will start to move slightly forward. Once I start to move, I can shift into second.

2. The car, at times, refuses to go into any gear. It's as if the clutch was not pressed down. When this happens it takes me a few minutes to force the car into a gear, once I am in a gear (could be 3rd or 4th) I can take the car out of that gear and it slides smoothly into any other gear.

3. The car grinded very bad whenever I tried to put it into 5th gear, moving or not.

Please help me with this situation as this car is my daily. One thing I thought of is that I do not have an adjustable clutch cable. Could this make any difference?

Thanks in advance.
Sound like one of two things. My fox was doing this a while back.

1. it could be your throwout bearing going out/bad

2. If there is a clutch cable on it the cable could be stretched or worn out.

3. If its hydrolic it could be low on fluid or shot slave cyclinder.\

Hope this helps
Old 04-06-2007, 12:55 PM
vinny89GT
WeShouldHaveShotguns

vinny89GT vinny89GT vinny89GT vinny89GT vinny89GT vinny89GT vinny89GT vinny89GT vinny89GT vinny89GT vinny89GT

Originally Posted by 87vette
Sound like one of two things. My fox was doing this a while back.

1. it could be your throwout bearing going out/bad

2. If there is a clutch cable on it the cable could be stretched or worn out.

3. If its hydrolic it could be low on fluid or shot slave cyclinder.\

Hope this helps
Well my throwout bearing squeals slightly. And like I said, I do not have an aftermarket adjustable clutch cable.

Thanks for the input, I'll look into those two things.
Old 04-06-2007, 01:02 PM
Slooby
TAINT PUNCHER!

Slooby Slooby Slooby Slooby Slooby Slooby Slooby Slooby Slooby Slooby Slooby

Originally Posted by vinny89GT
Well my throwout bearing squeals slightly. And like I said, I do not have an aftermarket adjustable clutch cable.

Thanks for the input, I'll look into those two things.
Shows my stupidity i didn't even see the last comment you put about no having the adjustable cable. If i would have seen that i would have left #3 off.

I would personnally replace the throw out bearing being as it is squeeling and possibly the clutch if you want to do it all at once. I just picked up an ajustable yesterday. Does your car have a stock quadrant? If so there is someway to readjust the stock cable but i can't remember how. If not i would either get a adjustable cable or firewall adjuster. Kimnach has ford racing adjustable cables for reasonable prices. I picked up on for my fox and it was just under $45 after taxes which isn't but $4 more than summit has them listed for.
Old 04-07-2007, 03:48 AM
HatefulMechanic
The Pro to call.

HatefulMechanic HatefulMechanic HatefulMechanic HatefulMechanic HatefulMechanic HatefulMechanic HatefulMechanic HatefulMechanic HatefulMechanic HatefulMechanic HatefulMechanic

pop a clutch in it (if its a mustang like i am figuring)

there is very likely a damper spring broken out of the hub causing the clutch to be partially engaged all the time.

the factory clutch quadrant is decent on most clutches, and does a good job of keeping the adjustment correct. its when you go to a higher pressure clutch that the quadrant starts to strip out.