Notices
Cycle Corner Running with two less wheels than everyone else? This forum is for you.

Dead Battery Or Alternator?

Old 02-07-2011, 06:20 AM
wwplayboater
Registered Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
wwplayboater has much to be proud ofwwplayboater has much to be proud ofwwplayboater has much to be proud ofwwplayboater has much to be proud ofwwplayboater has much to be proud ofwwplayboater has much to be proud ofwwplayboater has much to be proud ofwwplayboater has much to be proud ofwwplayboater has much to be proud ofwwplayboater has much to be proud ofwwplayboater has much to be proud of
Default Dead Battery Or Alternator?

So I have a 2000 cbr 600 f4, It is currently sitting in storage for the winter. Well every week or to i go start it up and run it around the parking lot for a bit, just to get the fluids moving and whatnot. Today i went to start it and realized that i had accidentally left my key in the ignition in the "on" postion. long story short i have a battery that is pretty much brand new (3months old) that is dead.

I go to jump it with my truck, and this is where my problems begin, it fires up just fine, i let it run for a bit, but almost as soon as i take the jumper cables off the bike it dies. I guess my question is when a bike is running does it run off the alternator, or could it be possible that i just killed my battery to the point of no return? Any and all help is much appreciated.
Old 02-07-2011, 09:00 AM
Scottyk6
Full-time New Guy

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Scottyk6 has much to be proud ofScottyk6 has much to be proud ofScottyk6 has much to be proud ofScottyk6 has much to be proud ofScottyk6 has much to be proud ofScottyk6 has much to be proud ofScottyk6 has much to be proud ofScottyk6 has much to be proud ofScottyk6 has much to be proud ofScottyk6 has much to be proud ofScottyk6 has much to be proud of
Default Re: Dead Battery Or Alternator?

Hello there. It just sounds like the battery has not had the chance to charge enough...so it should be just the battery. If the battery was completely drained from the key being set to "on," then it would need some charging before it could actually run by itself. The thing is, when a battery is that weak, the bike will not charge the battery really until the revs hit a certain rpm (more current). If the bike was just sitting there, then you took the jumper cables off, the bike will die because it had not received enough time to charge from the jumpers or the bike has not had enough time to charge with the engine running at a higher RPM (riding rpm). My advice is to leave a trickle charger on the bike over night, and that should charge the battery up enough so that it can run without assistance. But the sooner you get on the bike and ride it, the sooner that the battery will charge back up to where it's supposed to.

Oh...and you store the bike with the key in it? Where do you store your bike exactly? :-P