Notices
Tech Talk Anything technically related to your vehicle should be posted here. If you're looking to have work done, try one of the Regional Forums.

b16 running cold while driving, normal under idle

Old 07-19-2011, 11:07 AM
crxmatt
Registered Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
crxmatt crxmatt crxmatt crxmatt crxmatt crxmatt crxmatt crxmatt crxmatt crxmatt crxmatt
Question b16 running cold while driving, normal under idle

Im trying to fix a 2 year old problem here, when i drive my car the temp reads down to the C and when it idles it goes up to normal temp and the fan turns on so far i have replaced;

cluster
water pump
thermostat and gasket
radiator and hoses
and also have bled the system

if anyone has any ideas lmk, your advice is greatly appreciated.

-matt
Old 07-19-2011, 06:06 PM
gs dewd
Registered Member

gs dewd has disabled reputation
Default Re: b16 running cold while driving, normal under idle

Temp sensor? My first guess would have need no thermostat but you say you've changed that. Either the temp sensor is bad or there is a air pocket some where.
Old 07-19-2011, 08:57 PM
Fabrik8
Racetracks

Fabrik8 Fabrik8 Fabrik8 Fabrik8 Fabrik8 Fabrik8 Fabrik8 Fabrik8 Fabrik8 Fabrik8 Fabrik8

That would be a strange failure mode for a temp sensor. I suppose it's possible though. If the cooling system is working properly and regulating temperature properly, the temp sensor should read normal at soon as the car warms up regardless of whether it is moving or idling. Basically if the temp sensor reads normal at idle and when the fan turns on, it should have the same reading if the cooling system is regulating temperature properly. So I don't think it's the temp sensor. It's an easy thing to check with a basic multimeter though, just look at a service manual.

It still sounds like the problem is related to too much cooling while the car is moving, so it still sounds like a thermostat problem. I don't really buy the air bubble problem because that should make the coolant temp go all over the place instead of having a consistent behavior (even though that behavior is wrong at the moment).
Old 07-20-2011, 06:15 PM
crxmatt
Registered Member

crxmatt crxmatt crxmatt crxmatt crxmatt crxmatt crxmatt crxmatt crxmatt crxmatt crxmatt

alrighty well i suppose im going to try to use the temp sensor off my old d16 hopefully that will work im gonna get a autometer gauge for water temp anyway cause the stock gauge sucks