Notices
Tech Talk Anything technically related to your vehicle should be posted here. If you're looking to have work done, try one of the Regional Forums.

Trunk Help Needed

Old 12-07-2012, 12:12 PM
carforsale
Banned

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
carforsale is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Trunk Help Needed

i have a 1993 Honda Civic EJ1 and im trying to put in the trunk support/ metal rods that hold up the trunk. I Just put them in but they are not holding up the trunk. I tried to Google it but nothing comes up besides strut lifters and i know my trunk doesnt use them. if anyone can help please post on the tread. Thanks.

ps..they are not on backwards.
Old 12-07-2012, 02:30 PM
Yep4doors
2doors plus 2.

Yep4doors Yep4doors Yep4doors Yep4doors Yep4doors Yep4doors Yep4doors Yep4doors Yep4doors Yep4doors Yep4doors

Originally Posted by carforsale
i have a 1993 Honda Civic EJ1 and im trying to put in the trunk support/ metal rods that hold up the trunk. I Just put them in but they are not holding up the trunk. I tried to Google it but nothing comes up besides strut lifters and i know my trunk doesnt use them. if anyone can help please post on the tread. Thanks.

ps..they are not on backwards.
Wut?

Are you talking about the actually hinges on the trunk so it can open and close properly? Also looking at a diagram of your vehicle or looking at a parts catalog would help as well.
Old 12-07-2012, 03:54 PM
Mirrorimg
Registered member

Mirrorimg is a name known to allMirrorimg is a name known to allMirrorimg is a name known to allMirrorimg is a name known to allMirrorimg is a name known to allMirrorimg is a name known to all
Default Re: Trunk Help Needed

The bars are installed under tension. You have to put one side in, and then you rotate the other side into position. If you just slipped them in, you did it wrong.

Because of how much tension they are under, you will probably need a special tool to do it. I think honda sells one, but I never got the tool (and therefore have a replacement for my integra sitting in the garage because I cant install it with my noodle arms).

These are what you are talking about, right?

Edit: I think these are what you need to get it installed under tension.

Last edited by Mirrorimg; 12-07-2012 at 03:57 PM.
Old 12-07-2012, 06:18 PM
Fabrik8
Racetracks

Fabrik8 Fabrik8 Fabrik8 Fabrik8 Fabrik8 Fabrik8 Fabrik8 Fabrik8 Fabrik8 Fabrik8 Fabrik8

Google "Honda trunk torsion rod" or Honda trunk torsion bar"...
Old 12-07-2012, 09:09 PM
carforsale
Banned

Originally Posted by Yep4doors
Wut?

Are you talking about the actually hinges on the trunk so it can open and close properly? Also looking at a diagram of your vehicle or looking at a parts catalog would help as well.
In the pic is what im talking about.

Originally Posted by Mirrorimg
The bars are installed under tension. You have to put one side in, and then you rotate the other side into position. If you just slipped them in, you did it wrong.

Because of how much tension they are under, you will probably need a special tool to do it. I think honda sells one, but I never got the tool (and therefore have a replacement for my integra sitting in the garage because I cant install it with my noodle arms).

These are what you are talking about, right?

Edit: I think these are what you need to get it installed under tension.

Yes those are what i am talking about. i did install them with one side first then twisted then used a pry bar to get the last side in. even with the pry bar it took a little but i got both on but they wont keep the trunk up. But since they are on now its going to a fight to get them off again. I mean they kept up the trunk at the junk yard when i got them.

Originally Posted by Fabrik8
Google "Honda trunk torsion rod" or Honda trunk torsion bar"...
thanks man... I Googled everything but that. I thought Google would help get the correct name.

thanks for the help. the 3 of you.
Old 12-08-2012, 07:55 AM
Fabrik8
Racetracks

Fabrik8 Fabrik8 Fabrik8 Fabrik8 Fabrik8 Fabrik8 Fabrik8 Fabrik8 Fabrik8 Fabrik8 Fabrik8

If you've verified that you're installing them correctly, it's possible that you've make the bar yield and it isn't behaving like a spring anymore. That would be fairly difficult I would think, so I'm not sure that is too likely.
Old 12-08-2012, 10:42 AM
carforsale
Banned

Originally Posted by Fabrik8
If you've verified that you're installing them correctly, it's possible that you've make the bar yield and it isn't behaving like a spring anymore. That would be fairly difficult I would think, so I'm not sure that is too likely.
Since you gave me the name of them, I Googled it again and all the wed sites are saying vise grips or a large pair of channel locks work great for the job. So ill just take them off and try it again. Thanks for the info.

Bump Lets go ODU