Notices
Tech Talk Anything technically related to your vehicle should be posted here. If you're looking to have work done, try one of the Regional Forums.

2001 Pontiac Grand Am 3400

Old 06-18-2005, 01:20 PM
MGBRaceman
Iridium V

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
MGBRaceman has a reputation beyond reputeMGBRaceman has a reputation beyond reputeMGBRaceman has a reputation beyond reputeMGBRaceman has a reputation beyond reputeMGBRaceman has a reputation beyond reputeMGBRaceman has a reputation beyond reputeMGBRaceman has a reputation beyond reputeMGBRaceman has a reputation beyond reputeMGBRaceman has a reputation beyond reputeMGBRaceman has a reputation beyond reputeMGBRaceman has a reputation beyond repute
Default 2001 Pontiac Grand Am 3400

My instructor has a 2001 Pontiac Grand Am 3400 and is having some trasmission difficulties. Hard shifts mostly. He hasn't checked his fluid in quite some time. I was under the hood looking for the fluid dipstick and all I could find was a red cap on the trans housing below the exhaust pipe, is this the fluid check source? Any help is apprecieted. Unfortunaly I have no refrences where I am and I had a very limited time to look at the car.
Old 06-18-2005, 01:38 PM
HatefulMechanic
The Pro to call.

HatefulMechanic HatefulMechanic HatefulMechanic HatefulMechanic HatefulMechanic HatefulMechanic HatefulMechanic HatefulMechanic HatefulMechanic HatefulMechanic HatefulMechanic
Default Re: 2001 Pontiac Grand Am 3400

the fluid level is checked on that transmission using a check plug on the PS output shaft on the transmission. pretty involved process to adjust it.

with engine running, vehicle jacked up and LEVEL, remove check plug from PS output shaft. fluid should be even with the bottom of the plug. some check procedures involve someone sitting in the car with it in gear and the brakes on, while some dont.

basically, if there are no leaks, the level should be fine. and if i recall, it will set a CEL if the level goes down.
Old 06-18-2005, 01:50 PM
MGBRaceman
Iridium V

MGBRaceman has a reputation beyond reputeMGBRaceman has a reputation beyond reputeMGBRaceman has a reputation beyond reputeMGBRaceman has a reputation beyond reputeMGBRaceman has a reputation beyond reputeMGBRaceman has a reputation beyond reputeMGBRaceman has a reputation beyond reputeMGBRaceman has a reputation beyond reputeMGBRaceman has a reputation beyond reputeMGBRaceman has a reputation beyond reputeMGBRaceman has a reputation beyond repute

This is true for automatic transmissions as well?
Old 06-18-2005, 02:29 PM
HatefulMechanic
The Pro to call.

HatefulMechanic HatefulMechanic HatefulMechanic HatefulMechanic HatefulMechanic HatefulMechanic HatefulMechanic HatefulMechanic HatefulMechanic HatefulMechanic HatefulMechanic

that IS the procedure for the automatic transmission.
Old 06-19-2005, 08:28 AM
The Wok
DURRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRR

The Wok The Wok The Wok The Wok The Wok The Wok The Wok The Wok The Wok The Wok The Wok

Yes, for whatever reason GM decided not to put a stick on the 3.4s, and i believe some of the 3.1s
Old 07-04-2005, 12:29 PM
axis45
Registered Member

axis45 has disabled reputation

the plug is 7/16 or 11mm by the way, have someone scan it for trouble codes, even if the light isnt on, many times those gm cars will set a vss code and cause hard shifting, even if the code is pending/history

Last edited by axis45; 07-04-2005 at 12:37 PM.
Old 07-04-2005, 01:40 PM
Dirk Dickbutt
Wanna taste?

Dirk Dickbutt Dirk Dickbutt Dirk Dickbutt Dirk Dickbutt Dirk Dickbutt Dirk Dickbutt Dirk Dickbutt Dirk Dickbutt Dirk Dickbutt Dirk Dickbutt Dirk Dickbutt

How hard are the shifts? Normally, Grand Ams shift rather firm. The transmissions are shit though.