Notices
Tech Talk Anything technically related to your vehicle should be posted here. If you're looking to have work done, try one of the Regional Forums.

No start :(

Old 03-30-2006, 06:46 PM
Spindrift
psycho jungle cat

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Spindrift Spindrift Spindrift Spindrift Spindrift Spindrift Spindrift Spindrift Spindrift Spindrift Spindrift
Default No start :(

OK heres the deal...
90 coupe 240SX, 97 KA24DE, removed ALL emissions, s13 lower intake mani and s13 harness/ECU/coil/MAF/distributor. Checked timing and that seems fine, got spark, fuel pump kicks on, just cranks and cranks and cranks. The only odd indication is what sounds like air hissing from the FPR after hearing a pop from the engine bay when I tried to give it gas to start. Anything?
Old 03-31-2006, 02:59 AM
El Negro
#XV

El Negro is a splendid one to beholdEl Negro is a splendid one to beholdEl Negro is a splendid one to beholdEl Negro is a splendid one to beholdEl Negro is a splendid one to beholdEl Negro is a splendid one to beholdEl Negro is a splendid one to beholdEl Negro is a splendid one to behold
Default Re: No start :(

Check the vacuum line coming from the FPR? Make sure it's still there and not clogged?
Old 03-31-2006, 03:06 AM
crxnfx
I have a 20 valve...

crxnfx crxnfx crxnfx crxnfx crxnfx crxnfx crxnfx crxnfx crxnfx crxnfx crxnfx

I don't want to ask this but....do you have the spark plug cables on right? made me think of the pop that we got, when I had them on backwards, and it combusted and shot a fireball out the back of the car. pretty funny actually...

so yeah...spark plug cabels?
Old 03-31-2006, 03:34 AM
Spindrift
psycho jungle cat

Spindrift Spindrift Spindrift Spindrift Spindrift Spindrift Spindrift Spindrift Spindrift Spindrift Spindrift

Yup, we replaced the vacuum line on the FPR with one off of my Talon. He also checked his manual for Spark Plug Wire Diagram to make sure it was correct... it was .

When there was doubt about the pump actually putting out fuel, he yanked it out and jumped it directly to the battery. We aimed it towards a jug and it shot fuel right in.

Then we disconnected the fuel lines and primed the system; there's plenty of fuel flowing through the lines/system. Fuse & relay checked out good .

Jake then took off the wires, cranked over the ign., and there was plenty of arcing from ea. wire. The timing had also been set to TDC via cyl. #1. Compression was: 190-180-180-190 .

So he's got fuel, spark, & timing (timing in which he checked with Kienan & Greaser), but I have a feeling there's something about that FPR when it's hissing. There's two other vacuum nipples below the FPR on the intake mani which I plugged (b'c I thought those were hissing), and the hissing was still coming from the FPR.
-Citium2012

Last edited by Spindrift; 03-31-2006 at 03:41 AM.
Old 03-31-2006, 04:37 AM
El Negro
#XV

El Negro is a splendid one to beholdEl Negro is a splendid one to beholdEl Negro is a splendid one to beholdEl Negro is a splendid one to beholdEl Negro is a splendid one to beholdEl Negro is a splendid one to beholdEl Negro is a splendid one to beholdEl Negro is a splendid one to behold

Pop out the FPR and make sure the O-ring is okay?
Old 03-31-2006, 05:15 AM
240dreams
<3's Photography

240dreams has disabled reputation

I just finished a DOHC swap in my 90 240 and I was also having starting problems. It turned out that my timing was way retarded. I even timed my motor like the FSM by lining up the dots on the distributor and it was still off.
Put your motor at TDC on the compression stroke and pull your distributor cap off. The rotor should line up with the #1 spark plug. If not, try following these step;
- Take out the #1 sparkplug and stick your finger in the valve cover hole creating an air tight seal in the spark plug well.
- Turn the crank clockwise with a ratchet and a 27mm socket
- You'll feel air coming out of the hole and as soon as all of the air is expelled, the timing marks on the crank will appear.
- Set the timing pin to the 2nd mark from the left - TDC on the compression stroke.
- Now pull off you're distributor and take off the cap.
- Line up the dots on the disributor and try putting it back in.
- If the rotor is on the #1 plug wire, you'll be ok.
- If the rotor is off towards the #2 wire which it was in my case, pull the distributor out and turn it counter clockwise one tooth.
- Your rotor should now be pointing to the #1 spark plug wire.
- Put your cap back on and it should fire right up.
- Let the motor warm up, disconnect the TPS and fine tune timing with a timing gun.

Last edited by 240dreams; 03-31-2006 at 05:24 AM.
Old 03-31-2006, 05:38 PM
Spindrift
psycho jungle cat

Finger in the spark plug hole thats a new one lol Had a friend come over and check it out. Apparently I had set timing 180 out, fixed it and we got down to timing is off by a couple teeth. Were gonna give it another shot sunday and see what comes up. Ill check out the FPR sunday too Tim