Notices
Tech Talk Anything technically related to your vehicle should be posted here. If you're looking to have work done, try one of the Regional Forums.

b16a sir starting problems

Old 11-21-2009, 08:43 AM
civickid03
Banned

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
civickid03 has disabled reputation
Default Re: b16a sir starting problems

MEASURE VOLTAGE DROP, not assume its the alternator yet
but it couldnt hurt to check the belt tightness.

measure the voltage drop by placing a multimeter on both sides of the battery and then start cutting on lights, etc. If your voltage goes below 10 volts with just some minor accessories on, then it is mostlikely your battery.

check your main ground going to the battery, especially at the terminal connector (my cable was fucked up and would intermittently cut off everything in the car)

If you painted you engine bay check the main chassis ground on the passenger side
going to the trans - scrape the metal to ensure a good connection

if you still suspect the alternator charge the battery outside of the car to 12v

start the car and take one lead of the multimeter and put it on the 10mm nut going to the alternator itself, ground the other leado f the multimeter. this is kind of dangerous so u might just want to measure voltage at the battery with the car running.. hope i covered everytihng

do u have any accessories wired to constant power? they might be causing a draw when the car sits, they need to be put on a switched power/ground to ensure there is no quiescent draw
Old 11-21-2009, 08:44 AM
civickid03
Banned

civickid03 has disabled reputation

wow im retarded i just saw that it was the battery...lol
Old 11-21-2009, 08:50 AM
TITS
Ovechkinator !

TITS has disabled reputation

Originally Posted by civickid03
MEASURE VOLTAGE DROP, not assume its the alternator yet
but it couldnt hurt to check the belt tightness.

measure the voltage drop by placing a multimeter on both sides of the battery and then start cutting on lights, etc. If your voltage goes below 10 volts with just some minor accessories on, then it is mostlikely your battery.

check your main ground going to the battery, especially at the terminal connector (my cable was fucked up and would intermittently cut off everything in the car)

If you painted you engine bay check the main chassis ground on the passenger side
going to the trans - scrape the metal to ensure a good connection

if you still suspect the alternator charge the battery outside of the car to 12v

start the car and take one lead of the multimeter and put it on the 10mm nut going to the alternator itself, ground the other leado f the multimeter. this is kind of dangerous so u might just want to measure voltage at the battery with the car running.. hope i covered everytihng

do u have any accessories wired to constant power? they might be causing a draw when the car sits, they need to be put on a switched power/ground to ensure there is no quiescent draw
yeah man had it tested and all and the altenator passed but the battery lost 2volts anc a cell